1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's happened to the back of my truck?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by cruiserdan, Mar 13, 2004.

1. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    :D

2. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

Using my scanning electron microscope, I was able to analyze the reflection of your camera in the paint. In it's lense, I could easily discern your true license number before the crummy Photoshop job. It reads:

PMOHCGOD

Oh, wait. I forgot to reverse that since it's a reflection.....

Doug

3. cruiserdan

4. thorvald

thorvald .......

Media:
    Albums:
    got your left hand license plate holder attached?
    looks good :cheers:

5. CDN_Cruiser

CDN_Cruiser

14...very sweet. Plus all the extra badges...

6. Darwood

Darwood

Very nice. How does that thing mount?

7. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

What's the hint? You got a plexiglas awning over the back window and one of those cute fender mirrors so you can look at yourself while you drive? :D :D (snicker)

8. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Aaaaaah, reminds me of boot camp. Oh wait, that was M1, VD, RX.

Bill

9. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    Dan, funny you should post that on a day I saw probably 6 or 7 of them.
    To complete the nippon express look you will also need the back up mirror on the upper tailgate too. Plus why not get a "Cygnus" name tag for the right side, or maybe landpimp should do that.

Also, I have finally figured out the silver upper burgundy lower paint scheme. It was clearly conceived for over here where it is the most popular colour by far

weird decals on landcruisers here include "split plug" and "good to be having fun" plus "landcruiser" taking up the whole side of the truck. They look stock but must be aftermarket.

Semlin out (your intrepid japanese correspondent who saw his first lc while taxiing up to the terminal).

10. FJ809496TLC

FJ809496TLC 80 series addict GOLD Star

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=13098;start=msg120885#msg120885 date=1079243727]
    OK,

Here's a hint :D

[/quote] I got it! You found Asiarider and took his gadgets. :D Looks good!

11. ParadiseCruiser

ParadiseCruiser

...and how many "Ms" did you have to sell for that little treasure? :D

R -

12. MoJ

MoJ Moderator

Turnin' Japanese, I think I'm turnin' Japanese.....
    Looks good Dan, nice solution to the rear mount carrier.
    -Jason

13. cruiserdan

Here is what it looks like with a Slee............ :D

14. Riley

Riley

Looks really good Dan. I was wondering that once the rear bumper is installed, can you still carry a tire in the stock location?

R

15. cruiserdan

It depends.

The short answer is yes, if you do not intrude into the space where the tire "was". If all you do is add the Slee bumper you can still pack a spare under the vehicle. If you look closely at the photo you will see a hitch receiver in the bumper. That is not "stock" I built that to enable me to remove my OEM hitch platform in order to improve my departure angle by over 7 inches.
    That modification will not allow a tire to fit. Also, many folks choose to put a "long Ranger" fuel tank (I believe Christo has them available) in that space. The addition of said tank also eliminates the spare.

That being said, I designed my hitch to clear the space that is occupied by the OEM sub tank so I will still be able to fit that when I next get a "hall pass" from the boss :p

16. snowcruiser

snowcruiser

Looks very nice Dan! Do you have a ready supply of these mounts? How much for smart shoppers? Also how has your hitch been working out? Do you have any pictures of where the hitch pin goes in and how safety chains are attached? I was also wondering how Christo's bumper lines up with the rear mudflaps as you seem to have yours still attached. Yes a lot of questions but your truck just looks so nice. Cheers

17. cruiserdan

The license plate mount is a JDM item and is not stocked in the USA. I off-line ordered two of them as an experiment. I have the first one and the Wulf has the other. I can obtain more. It takes about 10-12 weeks for them to come in. The list price is around 210 bucks. The Wulf took several photos of the install we did on his rig.
    When installing this mount on a vehicle equipped with a Slee bumper, it requires re-locating the nylon swing arm stabilizing wedge from the bumper to the bottom of the swing arm to prevent damage to the license plate when the tail gate is opened.

The hitch has not been fully tested. I have hitched the boat up to check the clearance for the swing arm and to set the receiver height. I have not gone anywhere significant as of yet. It pins from the back side and I have a chain "loop" that wraps around the draw bar tube to attach the safety chains to. I will get some photos of that set up.

As far as the rear flaps are concerned. Christo's bumper is a bit narrower than the OEM ends and it is comprised of flat angles as opposed to the radius of the OEM ends. As a result, the flap-to-wing fitment leaves a gap. I imagine Christo chose this design to hug the body and also to ease the manufacture. I would think that a design that would have contoured to the OEM bumper end radius would have been very difficult to make and VERY evpensive to produce. I am working on fillers to take up that space. I have a couple ideas and am searching for the appropriate material to do the job. I have bobbed my flaps (front and back) but it is difficut to see in the above pic.
    Here is a bobbed front:

18. Riley

Riley

Perfect timing Dan. I was going to ask you to post a pic of your steel rims and tires. You beat me to it.

Those are your steel rims right? I thought they were black. ???

19. cruiserdan

Riley,

Yes, that is the OEM 16x8 steel wheel. With the way-too-expensive and stylish ::) center cap. The wheels come finish painted in this silver/argent color.

20. Beowulf

Beowulf

Here is the relocated nylon wedge. I have an early Slee bumper so you'll notice a couple of differences between mine and Dan's. His wedge is black and his retainer pin is mounted flush with the edge of the tyre carrier.

[​IMG]

Notice that C-Dan is using an official Toyota ball peen hammer.

[​IMG]

Almost finished. Just need to wrap up with step #6 :D

[​IMG]

-B-