Whats going on? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Didnt have much time to troubleshot this but this morning when I went goto work the cruiser wouldnt move. It started ok and warmed up with no issues but when I went to put it into gear and move it didnt move. Reminds me of when the rear main seal goes out. But Ive always had precursors to that. Or maybe the tcase was accidently shifted into neutral but I checked that too. Yesterday it drove just fine with no issues what so ever. Right now Im just trying to get a headstart on possible problems and rememdies before I get home from work.

First thing that comes to mind is that your tranny or t-case isnt in gear. Next that your clutch isnt working.

#1 do you have clutch pressure at the pedal?

#2 fluid in clutch master cylinder?

#3 t-case engaged in low or high?

#4 will it work with t-case in low but not high or vise versa?

#5 Tranny works in 1st and 2nd but not in 3rd 4th or reverse?

#6 everything above works but truck will still not move?

#7 ebrake stuck? motor bogs down when clutch is released, truck lurches forward or reverse?

#8 rear drums stuck? Frozen? if you are in sub 32 degree weather. Have seen this happen in Michigan when the day before vehicle is driven through slush/water and overnight the brakes froze to the drums. Drape plastic around the truck to form a tent and use a hot shot heater to thaw. be aware of fuel leaks when using flame heater.

#9 Front brakes frozen?

#10 oil dripping from inspection cover between motor and trans? would indicate possible oiled down clutch disc

#11 using more oil than usual? refer to #10.

Last edited:
Cammy said:
#1 do you have clutch pressure at the pedal?

Yes it works.

#2 fluid in clutch master cylinder?

Yes

#3 t-case engaged in low or high?
I did that first thing before getting a ride to work. Didnt help.

#4 will it work with t-case in low but not high or vise versa?
Tried that.

#5 Tranny works in 1st and 2nd but not in 3rd 4th or reverse?
Shifts and feels as if it is going into all gears but doesnt move.

#6 everything above works but truck will still not move?

Engine starts and runs great. Drove fine last night when I got home. No noises, grinding, etc before this... just normal everyday driving and performance.

#7 ebrake stuck? motor bogs down when clutch is released, truck lurches forward or reverse?
Nope tried that this morning too. Engine remains and same rpms no matter what gear, what range the tcase is in, ebrake in/out etc...

#8 rear drums stuck? Frozen? if you are in sub 32 degree weather. Have seen this happen in Michigan when the day before vehicle is driven through slush/water and overnight the brakes froze to the drums. Drape plastic around the truck to form a tent and use a hot shot heater to thaw. be aware of fuel leaks when using flame heater.

Nope... just got home and it still isnt working.

#9 Front brakes frozen?

#10 oil dripping from inspection cover between motor and trans? would indicate possible oiled down clutch disc

Zero oil underneath... and normally it has been my experience that right before the rearmain seal goes out it gives you a few days... clutch worked strong up until I parked it lastnight.

did someone take your rear drive shaft? ;)

Can you move the shifter around without the clutch?

Does it grind while you try and put it in gear without the clutch?

Does putting it in gear change the motor rpm or sounds at all?

Did you try all combinations of the Tcase?

Climb under and have someone else shift the Tcase while you watch the Tcase shifter. Make sure it looks like it is operating correctly.

Thats all I can think of for now

bandy rooster said:
what would it mean if and when you push in the clutch the rpms rise?

That means the clutch is working - you've removed the spinning mass of the engine side of the transmission from the engine's load, along with all its friction/oil churning.

First noticed this when I worked on old Chevy pickups.

Kirk

Ok.... after I posted the last thread my brother just happened to be driving by my house and I stopped him. While he was looking the 55 over I went in and changed out of my scrubs. We looked over the whole truck. He did many of the same things I did this morning. Then we checked the clutch slave cylinder. Some might remember me rebuilding this during christmas break. Well like a dumbarse I forgot to adjust the clutch properly. So the dics was just catching the flywheel when you let off the clutch pedal. I discovered my mistaken only after taking the inspection plate off the bottom of the transmission. First I thought maybe the center of the clutch disc had given out. But as I turned the clutch disc I could see the input shaft was also turning. Yelled at my brother from underneath the truck and let him know what I had found. He asks me if I had properly adjusted the slave cylinder after the rebuild. I told him I adjusted it in a hurry. Guess I forgot to go back and finish the job. So its my bad. :doh:
I feel like a dumbass and all I can hear in the back of my head is my dad's voice saying, "Do the job right the first time and use the right tool for the job!".
Im sure after having him drill that in my head throughout my entire teenage years (he was a professional mechanic), after he catches wind of this Im surehe wont allow me to live it down.

Anyway I wanted to thank everyone that contributed to this issue and try to help me get the pig back up in a speedy manner. Thanks.:beer:

Thanks for finishing the story, too many times the solution is never posted and your hard lesson becomes an easy lesson for someone else.

An old boss of mine told me, "Those that don't do anything, don't make mistakes. Those that make mistakes and learn from them, grow as individuals"

Romer said:
Thanks for finishing the story, too many times the solution is never posted and your hard lesson becomes an easy lesson for someone else.

An old boss of mine told me, "Those that don't do anything, don't make mistakes. Those that make mistakes and learn from them, grow as individuals"

Thanks Romer... I always try to let everyone know what was wrong and what was done to correct the problem. And give credit where it is due.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom