What's going on with my suspension? And upgrade recommendations. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had my 62 for almost 4 years and my work on it has mostly been as-needed stuff to keep it road-worthy. But I recently finished construction on my detached garage so I have a space to dig into larger projects. My plan is to work on it in 3 phases, suspension/drivetrain, Interior/exterior, and eventually an engine swap. I'm starting to accumulate the parts for the suspension/drivetrain phase but I'm unsure on a few things with the suspension.

My LC was originally a Cali truck and I believe the 1st owner did the majority of the mods/upgrades: suspension lift, shackle reversal, body lift (probably going to remove), rear locker, re-geared, bumpers, etc. But with each sale of the LC the new owner was given less and less info about some of the mods. So I'm trying to figure out the best what and why certain things have been done. Below are some pictures of the suspension. It obviously has a shackle reversal and anti-inversion shackles. The biggest question with the suspension is the aftermarket shock hoops, what would have been the purpose for them? And what shocks should I go with seeing as I can't get off the shelf OME. I'm accruing all of the suspension components now, I already have new leafs but I'm not sure if I should get new shackles and extended end links or just clean these up. I was also going to do a U Bolt flip kit on the front and rear.

And before anyone asks, yes, I am going to clean the surface rust off everything, paint, and get new hardware. My plan is to remove everything from the frame down, POR15 the frame, and completely overhaul the axles/brakes/suspension, etc before re-installing anything.

IMG_9520.jpg
IMG_9522.jpg
IMG_9523.jpg
IMG_9524.jpg
IMG_9529.jpg

While im no expert I have just read about everything there is to read in regards to Suspension + leafs. To my un expert eye it looks like a regular leaf set up ie no shackle reversal. I will say this...as flat as you leafs look...im now doubting i need new leafs lol. thanks. I bolied it down to Dobinson (most likely) + OME as my choice. Hope any of that helps.

While im no expert I have just read about everything there is to read in regards to Suspension + leafs. To my un expert eye it looks like a regular leaf set up ie no shackle reversal. I will say this...as flat as you leafs look...im now doubting i need new leafs lol. thanks. I bolied it down to Dobinson (most likely) + OME as my choice. Hope any of that helps.
It's definitely a shackle reversal, the shackle on the front axle is towards the rear of the LC and front leaf hanger is fixed and obviously welded aftermarket. In all fairness to the leafs, they are like 30 years old. I still clear 33's fine, the previous owner said it actually had 35's on it when he bought it.

145234371_10106403321579148_7275531295514839018_o.jpg
IMG_4853.JPG
55869484_10104798328752638_937920411046248448_o.jpg

like i said "no expert" lol...looks like same set i have...idk.. sweet garage, im jelly. Thats on my shortlist!!

another inveted shackle theread....

Your springs are on backwards. The military wrap should go on the pinned side. If your spring broke you would be in a bad situation. My stock front spring did break, but because the wrap was on the pinned side, I could still drive home.

Your springs are on backwards. The military wrap should go on the pinned side. If your spring broke you would be in a bad situation. My stock front spring did break, but because the wrap was on the pinned side, I could still drive home.
Thanks for the heads up, I never even gave the spring direction a second thought. Give me even more confidence in the guy that did all the suspension work :rolleyes:

I will remedy that when I install the new springs. Any advice on shocks? And whether or not I should get new shackles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom