What’s dangling from my transmission? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed this thing dangling from above my transmission (‘92 3fe model) that the previous owner apparently zip tied out of the way at some point. Don’t judge me too harshly for the amount of fluid I’m leaking.

624BCC17-FE7B-4AC2-9275-66B6C48947C5.jpeg

Noticed this thing dangling from above my transmission (‘92 3fe model) that the previous owner apparently zip tied out of the way at some point. Don’t judge me too harshly for the amount of fluid I’m leaking.

View attachment 2617416
I think that's your neutral safety switch. Possibly bypassed? Otherwise it wouldn't start.

Will it start with transmission in any gear?

I think that's your neutral safety switch. Possibly bypassed? Otherwise it wouldn't start.

Will it start with transmission in any gear?
It starts and drives no problem. As far as I can tell everything is working as expected.

It starts and drives no problem. As far as I can tell everything is working as expected.
Yes.

In a safe place, place the truck in PARK and shut it off. Move the shifter to DRIVE or LOW and then try to start the truck. It should NOT start. It should do nothing. If it starts, your NSS has been bypassed.

Shouldn't the NSS be bolted to the side of the transmission and have a shift/linkage rod attached to it? It appears to be dangling in mid-air??

Don’t judge me too harshly for the amount of fluid I’m leaking.
Those aren't leaks my friend, that's the ACIS (Automatic Corrosion Inhibiting System) working as designed. ;)

And where did you get that spiffy skid plate for the tranny pan?

Catching up with the thread. Thank you all for your ideas!

jonheld: all the lights in my cluster work.

Kernal: thanks for your DM. For visibility: I've been driving it with no issues shifting for over a year now. I only recently became aware of this disconnected piece when the zip tie holding it out of the way broke.

Rusty Marlin: good to know its functioning normally! haha As for the skid plate, I thought it was stock. Is it not? If its aftermarket its from the previous owner.

I'm going to do some additional digging. Now that you all have me pointed in the right direction I have more to go on. Just having some search terms is a huge help!

Shouldn't the NSS be bolted to the side of the transmission and have a shift/linkage rod attached to it? It appears to be dangling in mid-air??

you are mostly correct on that, it should be bolted up to the trans but it should have the back side of the shift shaft running into the nss. where the 24mm nut is there is a slot where the shift shaft will fit into

@Rusty Marlin, that's a factory skid. I have a spare in my parts pile, if you need one- PM me

OP, yes that's your NSS. Looks like it's been bypassed. If you choose to keep it as is (if it's not broken, don't fix it mindset), you should try and secure it higher on the trans body. The trans bolts are plenty long enough to pull one, and rig up a mount. Otherwise, you can source the bolt to remount it to the NSS- but I feel like it's been bypassed as a shade-tree method, so you may want to pursue further, as to why it's been bypassed.

@Rusty Marlin, that's a factory skid. I have a spare in my parts pile, if you need one- PM me

OP, yes that's your NSS. Looks like it's been bypassed. If you choose to keep it as is (if it's not broken, don't fix it mindset), you should try and secure it higher on the trans body. The trans bolts are plenty long enough to pull one, and rig up a mount. Otherwise, you can source the bolt to remount it to the NSS- but I feel like it's been bypassed as a shade-tree method, so you may want to pursue further, as to why it's been bypassed.
It must be for the "bus tranny". I'm pretty sure my LX doesn't have the brackets to mount that skid plate. I'll have to look next time I'm under there.

Reactions: YMT
It must be for the "bus tranny". I'm pretty sure my LX doesn't have the brackets to mount that skid plate. I'll have to look next time I'm under there.
Yeah, this thread is about a 92.

Reactions: YMT
Interesting new development: I was doing a quick oil change and sway bar bracket install yesterday (Dobinsons front brackets don't fit on my US '92 btw) and found that there appears to be an identical part actually attached to the side of the trans just above the dangling part. You can actually see the corner of it in the pic from the first post. I ran my hand up the wiring harness as far as I could and never reached an end or loose connection. I still need to get to the bottom of this disconnected bit but it at least explains why I'm not experiencing any symptoms. It started raining on me so I just secured it up out of the way until I can take a closer look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom