What’s coming out of this hole? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I noticed a big leaky spot today coming from this plastic plug under the drivers footwell. Couple pics for reference.

Doesn’t seem oily, but doesn’t seem like water either. Tastes very bitter. Fluids under hood all look at the same level id expect them to be.

IMG_1339.jpeg

IMG_1338.jpeg

Is this just rusty water? What other fluid would this be in here??

IMG_1340.jpeg

you can see it just a small amount, and its not under the carpet or up by the firewall. it seems to have all settled into the cavity (and drained out). It's not pink enough to be coolant, nor is there any place there for coolant to come from. I am stumped.

Carpet is dry too.

I checked the passenger side, same area, dry. I also checked under the trim of both rear doors (driver/passenger), all dry.

I am stumped. Anyone?

It looks like ATF, but any chance its old Koolaid ;)?

Honestly, I have no idea. Truck is new to me.

Unscientifically I checked the ATF from the stick and it has a different viscosity and scent. Also, no idea how I’d end up with ATF there, but yes, really similar color.

I'd clean it and watch for more.
That’s what I’ve done so far. It’s dried up and I’ll put the plug back in and take it and get it up to temp tomorrow.

It does vaguely look like pink coolant but I don’t know where it would be from.

I’ll update after.

That’s what I’ve done so far. It’s dried up and I’ll put the plug back in and take it and get it up to temp tomorrow.

It does vaguely look like pink coolant but I don’t know where it would be from.

I’ll update after.
No chance it's coolant from rear heat unit under the driver's seat?

That’s probably exactly what it is…

There’s a rear heat unit under the drivers seat?? This is a 2003 I thought the rear heat and AC stuff was in the back run by coolant lines off the Ts

Any idea how these usually fail?

Check your Speedo cable. I’ve had ATF wick up the cable and drip down the firewall in an old Isuzu trooper I once had (and now really miss).

There are two rubber hoses under the truck that bend from the hard lines to the heater unit under the seat. Hopefully that what is leaking. I’ve never heard of a heater leaking.

BTW, heater is under driver seat, a/c is in the back right.

I’ll pop the seat out tomorrow. I’ll have to find a video how to do that.

Hopefully with the seat out I can get the carpet far enough up to see what’s going on without having to get too much more out.

Yes sir. Not familiar with modes of failure but I'm sure someone here is. Also it's a 5min job to pull the seat out to inspect unless one of the seat bolts is super rusty. Once the seat is out the leak will probably be staring you in the face.

It could possibly be dye from refrigerant leak detection additive mixed in with the condensation drainage..

I'd take another taste to narrow it down.

That’s interesting too as I know the PO had the AC serviced a couple of times prior to my ownership.

Why would any of the refrigerant be down there though?

Check your Speedo cable. I’ve had ATF wick up the cable and drip down the firewall in an old Isuzu trooper I once had (and now really miss).
I had a Isuzu Trooper also and it did the same thing. It was my first "boxy" shaped SUV and I've been hooked ever since!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom