What's a smart way to get 12v and ground behind the center dash? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to tap into a 12v and ground line somewhere behind the radio/climate control area in my 98 LX. I don't have a ton of electrical experience and could use some advice.

My thought was to identify the two wires (either to radio or maybe cig lighter) and use vampire taps.

This is for a bluetooth module similar to below, so I'm especially intersted if there are any considerations to avoid possible ground loop hum, etc. Thanks

71H6Q1NEF8L._AC_SL1280_.jpg

First, the cigarette lighter is right there and only has two wires. 12v.

Second, my Bluetooth module was plug and play and plugged into the cd player allowing a pass through. Grom is the name of the system and they have one specifically for Toyota.

I guess the cig lighter does make the most sense. I'll just look for the best tap solution I can find. If anyone has a recommendation, let me know.

The grom, etc does not work for early models like my 98. I followed this thread to add an aux input which is working great wired, but I want to go bluetooth.

I guess the cig lighter does make the most sense. I'll just look for the best tap solution I can find. If anyone has a recommendation, let me know.

The grom, etc does not work for early models like my 98. I followed this thread to add an aux input which is working great wired, but I want to go bluetooth.

I have a Crux bluetooth adapter for my 2000. Plugged it in where you would plug in the factory 12CD changer. It doesn't have every feature the Grom does, but it doesn't cost as much either.

Unfortunately neither Crux or any other solution will work for my 98 which had a built in disc changer. This is the only way I've seen to add bluetooth to mine.

That's what I have, a built in 6 CD changer (it has the plug for a 12 CD changer, but one was never installed). Is the '98 different from the 2000?

There's only one plug on mine, and it accepts the factory harness. No extra port for disc changer.

Anyhow, I wasn't aware that there was an option for a 2000. The usual suspects don't offer it (Grom, Vais, etc). Even Crutchfield, who sells the Crux BTS-TY1 that you have, doesn't even show it working for a 2000 LC. So that's good to know.

Mine is also a 2000 and I have the grom. Plug and play. The plug is sorta double sided on the grom and patches in between the factory harness and the back of the dish changer. So you unplug the factory harness from the radio, plug in the grom harness, then re plug the factory harness into the grom harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom