what's a prado worth ?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

orangefj45

Supporting Vendor
Threads
got a line on a 91 turbo diesel prado. body and interrior is clean, can get it into the usa. can somebody give me a rough idea of what this rig would be worth over here. i know it's a vague question. runs well, has 150k miles on it, sunroof, automatic trans, everything works,...........
prado.jpg

Don't do it. Take a read of all the prado issues with the motor.
The 2LT head is very prone to cracking. Nice truck, bad engine.
Lots of the JDM's imported to Canada are now dead due to the same issue.

I also see its RHD.
How where you planning on importing it to the US?

Cheers,
Nick

a friend of mine who has imported a few rigs can get this one in. don't ask......

i don't know much about these so any inout would be greatky apreciated.

if there's a known issue with the ngines in these then i assume it's a real pita to get parts to fix it over here. i guess that would mean that it's best to stay away from them, huh?! too bad, would be fun to drive one around.

i already have a rhd hj45, so that would'nt bother me a bit.

If you want a 4 door 70 series, I would look at 77.
Very nice truck (from what I understand), but a PITA to find (from what I understand).

If you want a 2 door, either a 70, 73, or 74.
Just make sure you can get it into the US.
I would hate for you have to cut the frame and make it a parts only rig.

Cheers,
Nick

don't listen to the naysayers, the head will crack but it's still a nice truck. Put a 4.3 or 4BT in when the engine breaks and be done with it :D

don't listen to the naysayers, the head will crack but it's still a nice truck. Put a 4.3 or 4BT in when the engine breaks and be done with it :D

That would be one option. But I wonder how much work, time and money that would cost? Might be better off with a 3B or 13BT (smaller). But then your back to the time and money again. I also have no idea how hard it would be to fit a B series engine in a 78. I can't see the wiring being to bad (but you never know).

You might as well buy a dead one out of Canada cheap, and then go straight to the swap. Would save quite a bit of money. You could probably find a nice 78 in Canada with a dead engine for $4-5K. Maybe less, maybe more.

the more these hit the wqreckers the more the price would drop. a dead one is worth MAYBE $2000. a runner is worth MAYBE $5000...
there is no way they are worth any more than that...no matter what the dealers are asking...
but then what do i know??

There are some 2L-T and 2L-TEs in the states - lots of guys are doing conversions. Parts are available, if you're interested. You can get a complete engine from Jarco for probably $1500. You could get a 1KZ-TE from Jarco for probably just over $2000. So you do have options. Besides, there are things that can happen to any truck that are more expensive than a cracked head.

I'm still a fan of the 78, though I must say I am glad I imported my own rather than laying out 15 grand for one. Yikes!

got a line on a 91 turbo diesel prado. body and interrior is clean, can get it into the usa. can somebody give me a rough idea of what this rig would be worth over here. i know it's a vague question. runs well, has 150k miles on it, sunroof, automatic trans, everything works,...........

Here is one already in the states (Titled) and what it is going for $15,500. Here is a link, I don't have the main page done yet, you can PM if you want details:

http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/WCC_Forsale.html

BTY - I have 2 complete lift kits for Prado's in stock if anyone is looking to lift these in the USA (probably too much $$ for the shipping to send them up to Canada). I am trying to clean house thats why I mention it.

http://www.westcoastcruisers.com/Suspensions.html

Cheers,

Michael

a friend of mine who has imported a few rigs can get this one in. don't ask......

i don't know much about these so any inout would be greatky apreciated.

if there's a known issue with the ngines in these then i assume it's a real pita to get parts to fix it over here. i guess that would mean that it's best to stay away from them, huh?! too bad, would be fun to drive one around.

i already have a rhd hj45, so that would'nt bother me a bit.

Actually parts for the 2LT are very easy to get in the USA. You have to keep in mind that the Toyota P/U was sold with a diesel engine in it up until 1985. So the dealers have the parts and can order them in the USA.

Cheers,

Michael

I would agree with most, and if you are planning to treat it like any other Land Cruiser I would stay away from these as well. If you or whomever is buying it is looking to run Bio-diesel in it and use it as a economical on road SUV with maybe a little light trail riding or in the winter on snowy roads, I think it is fine for that.

But to quote Wayne "what do I know??"

Cheers,

Michael

the more these hit the wqreckers the more the price would drop. a dead one is worth MAYBE $2000. a runner is worth MAYBE $5000...
there is no way they are worth any more than that...no matter what the dealers are asking...
but then what do i know??

would a 2f bolt up to the existing drivetrain? a dead one is $2000? hmmmm :D

I would think the only thing that would bolt up to it is something in the taco or 4runner line like a 22RE or maybe one of those v6's But I don't know for sure, I don't live in that world much.

Last edited:
I would agree with most, and if you are planning to treat it like any other Land Cruiser I would stay away from these as well. If you or whomever is buying it is looking to run Bio-diesel in it and use it as a economical on road SUV with maybe a little light trail riding or in the winter on snowy roads, I think it is fine for that.
It will take the beating off-road. The highways will kill it.

It will take the beating off-road. The highways will kill it.

as well as deep snow covered trails...how would i know this??

I know very little also, I have 4 lc's in my little collection a 90 prado that i payed
14,000 for close to mint with a 3l head, have put 129,000 km on it no problems,
these machines take a beeting look on the B.C coastal cruisers site may long weekend trip. I have a 1991 that i picked up for $2500 good shape no motor
ended up putting together a 2lt with a 3l head for Trish runs great also an 80 fj40 and a 89 bj 74 both close to mint we use the prados for everything bush highway you name it,some people have had bad luck with the heads, there are also lots of people that dont, dont pay more than 7000 for it
that one looks like mine exept i have a winch and and no bush bar, for 15,500 i should sell mine in the USA

Where do I get a prado for 7k in Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom