What's a fair offer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know value is in the eyes of the buyer. The way the FJ40 has been selling , (rarity), I would not be surprised the one shown would go over 10K. It is in the last five years of production.

I know I’ve already chimed in, but I think it’s funny that everyone still thinks we have 80s-90s pricing on cruisers. I’m glad you got your cruiser for 1200 in 1985… you may be able to get a used 2F for that now. It’s a mostly complete, later year cruiser. Today that goes for 10-15 grand. Rust included. I’ve seen frames alone go for 3-5 grand. If you have the time and money get it, if you want it. 10 isn’t bad, if you can get it for less, go for it!!!!

hasn't moved in 25 years? chances are all the gears up out of the oil are rusted, that would include any bearing above oil level also, trans, transfer and diffs
brake lines may all need to be replaced

My .02 cents is $3k and use it as a parts rig…that thing is shot…but, what do I know?!! I’m famous for buying high and selling low😂

I don't think the hubs are missing, they just aren't unlockable.

they're drive plates, all the fj40s unloaded here with them for many years, but its interesting to see a '79 with them.

Last edited:
they're drive plates, all the fj40s unloaded here with them for many years, but its interesting to see a '79 with them.
my 79 I had back in 1986 had them, also just parted a 79 that had drive plates

Really depends what you want to do with it. But, I would say you will spend 10k on that just to get started and still have a lot to do.

For 5k, maybe.

Now that I see it on my Comp. screen instead of my phone, I agree.

I know I’ve already chimed in, but I think it’s funny that everyone still thinks we have 80s-90s pricing on cruisers. I’m glad you got your cruiser for 1200 in 1985.

Time, location have a lot to do with pricing. When the housing market was going crazy around 2005 prices on the 40 series was doing the same. When the bubble burst and we went into the recession prices dropped. Rust belt little to no rust were worth more than in the Southwest. The popularity, internet and a flood of imports, particularly from South and Central America make things a lot harder. Throw in people who more money than sense paying ridiculous prices has not help either. On the 79 in question would have to take a look to set a value. The value to me would be different then someone else. I already have a lot of parts. Rust on the tub and frame are my biggest problem. Bolt on panels, mechanical and wiring not near as much.

Now that I see it on my Comp. screen instead of my phone, I agree.

20210819_100525.jpg

20210819_100504.jpg

Out of several I have owned, only one of my 74's had the drive plates. (course spline, still have them). Been an equal split between Warn and Aisin. Do have one ASCO hub on a 78 axle. I'm guessing most dealers swapped them as soon as they came in. Those fine spline Brian pic shows would be sweet on a wheeler rig.

Was thinking my 79 may have had drive plates but it came with Fairey hubs. It was a 79 I pulled some great parts off. This was in 1983 and only has 30K miles on it. For what ever reason it I grab the hub and rotor that had come loose in the accident. This is back when I thought of putting disc brakes on my 68. Did get the booster and master cylinder. My 76 still has drive plates. But unless I pull the Borg-Warner full time transfer case the it would only move when the transfer case was locked if the hubs were in free wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom