Whatcha think? 1974 FJ40 for sale need opinions!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across this one, which has been the closest one I've been able to locate that's not over $30k

Heres what I know:
- ASKING PRICE: $8200
- 1974 FJ40 US Spec
- replaced carb with a Holley
- engine runs rough and smoke quite a bit on startup - SO stated the carb probably needs a rebuild
- no PS, PB or AC - it's a '74
- replaced tub or pieced it tgether to the dash but still has a fair amount of rust that looks like it will need to be replaced
- overall the cowel, front quarters, fender and hood look decent, but i don't have a trained eye
- 3 speed tranny, shifted good on the test drive, was told 4 wheel works
- steering was very loose but that sounds normal for the age
- Brakes were tight and need to be sorted out - no discs
- SO installed rear air shock that need to be replaced
- window seals need to be relaced
- Hard top in rough shape the top has a kink in it but the sides and rear looked ok

Bottom line it needs some love and I don't think it would qualify as a daily driver but the question is what type of repairs are needed and more importantly what's it gonna cost to get it into decent shape?

Here what I'd probably have done, not looking for a show car just reliable and decent looking:
- new tub
- repair and paint rest of body and top
- replace seals around glass
- clean up frame- didnt see anything to bad typical condition for this year.
- repair engine hopefully nothing more that a tune up
- repair/upgrade brakes/suspension possible lift kit install
- have steering sorted out
- replaced wheels and tires with something more stock looking

I was looking for a rig that might need some work but this might be more than I handle, thoughts and opinions are welcome here are few pics. I have video and other photos just need to figure how to upload. more to come

Thanks for the help.

1566503724087.png

1566503687023.png

1566503624015.png

1566504196361.png

appreciate the feedback, yeah I'm reluctant to move on this one, but I think I can get it for less at some point it might be worth it. I was thinking around $4k

It's a bit pricey perhaps for what it is and the condition, but that being said if this is back east then the market is quite a bit different from availability as compared out west. At least from my knowledge FJ40s, or even just cars and trucks in general out there have more rust and so finding them in good condition can be few and far between.

I've seen way worse condition be sold for more than this, but it really comes down to your comfort level and how much you can/are willing to fix. It can be done though.

Like @Jdc1 mentioned, if you're patient and willing to travel, you might broaden your search and make a trip out of it to go find your next FJ40. I think for that price you could find something decent too.

appreciate the feedback, yeah I'm reluctant to move on this one, but I think I can get it for less at some point it might be worth it. I was thinking around $4k

If you paid me $2500 to take this truck on the basis that it be restored, I’d pass. It looks like a lot of heartbreak and busted budget.

A relatively rust free, complete 40, with a hardtop in original paint but missing the drivetrain and needing tires and brake work would be what I’d be on the lookout for.

I would bet serious money the cost of a couple round trip airline tickets and vehicle freight could put you in a much nicer vehicle for less money overall and you would be driving it sooner. ed

I think you should budget $8-12k if you can and travel a bit for the right 40.

there is a sweet one here in CA on craigslist for $12K
and here is another right next to me
for $16K

Came across this one, which has been the closest one I've been able to locate that's not over $30k

Heres what I know:
- ASKING PRICE: $8200
- 1974 FJ40 US Spec
- replaced carb with a Holley
- engine runs rough and smoke quite a bit on startup - SO stated the carb probably needs a rebuild
- no PS, PB or AC - it's a '74
- replaced tub or pieced it tgether to the dash but still has a fair amount of rust that looks like it will need to be replaced
- overall the cowel, front quarters, fender and hood look decent, but i don't have a trained eye
- 3 speed tranny, shifted good on the test drive, was told 4 wheel works
- steering was very loose but that sounds normal for the age
- Brakes were tight and need to be sorted out - no discs
- SO installed rear air shock that need to be replaced
- window seals need to be relaced
- Hard top in rough shape the top has a kink in it but the sides and rear looked ok

Bottom line it needs some love and I don't think it would qualify as a daily driver but the question is what type of repairs are needed and more importantly what's it gonna cost to get it into decent shape?

Here what I'd probably have done, not looking for a show car just reliable and decent looking:
- new tub
- repair and paint rest of body and top
- replace seals around glass
- clean up frame- didnt see anything to bad typical condition for this year.
- repair engine hopefully nothing more that a tune up
- repair/upgrade brakes/suspension possible lift kit install
- have steering sorted out
- replaced wheels and tires with something more stock looking

I was looking for a rig that might need some work but this might be more than I handle, thoughts and opinions are welcome here are few pics. I have video and other photos just need to figure how to upload. more to come

Thanks for the help.

View attachment 2064558
View attachment 2064557
View attachment 2064556
View attachment 2064578

Personally, walk away. $8200 is way too much. Don’t rush.

appreciate the input. For the right person it might make sense, but that’s not me. It didn’t look o bad but definitely has some puncky areas. I’m willing to travel and have been looking but this was the first one that’s popped up near me. Partly I just wanted to see one first hand. Ideally Looking for a 4 spd, minor modifications, May need a little attention but basically a weekend, short road trip driver. Budget is around $12-15k. Feel free to send me suggestions if anyone finds not on the usual sites.

Look outside New York. Trust me.
Agreed, look outside of NY. I was fortunate and got mine in NY, but it spent it's life in FL. Maybe seeing some Bondo as well... Good hunting.

Last edited:
Californians would put a premium on '75 and older trucks for lack of smog requirements.
I can send you the link its for sale on Facebook Marketplace Sandy Creek, NY. The seller is motivated and seems like a good guy.

I just put the above '74 mostly back together. (always pending a few details, right?)

I guess yours is titled as a '74 built in '73. Most '74s have the (arguably) more desirable 4 speed transmission. There are some other cool unique things to a '74 that truck is missing. It would be a shame to have the year but not the gear, so to speak.

My truck was in similar if not a little better condition than that one (cheaper, but that was also 5 years ago). I have spent a lot of money on it. If I had shopped around longer, I could have picked something up that needed little or no work and saved $10k easy. In the beginning I wasn't planning to do much to it besides drive it. 5 years and $5k over-budget later and I'm back in the saddle. It's like a sick dog. If it's not YOUR dog, the amount you would be willing to spend at the Vet goes down. On YOUR dog, you are asking if his little Satan's spawn Chihuahua body would accept a human kidney and if you are a match.

Do what you will. I would NOT spend that much on THAT truck, knowing now what I didn't then.

I guess yours is titled as a '74 built in '73. Most '74s have the (arguably) more desirable 4 speed transmission. There are some other cool unique things to a '74 that truck is missing. It would be a shame to have the year but not the gear, so to speak.

Yes it's a 74 model year.
Seems most if not all 74s built in 73 still came with the 3 spd.

Yes it's a 74 model year.
Seems most if not all 74s built in 73 still came with the 3 spd.

same thing for the 55's, I had a 55 with the F 1/2 and 3 speed,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom