WHAT? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This car market is as crazy(er) as the housing market.

From today (see box 3…youch).

1631682507047.jpeg

From today (see box 3…youch).

View attachment 2786743
Gasoline, used cars, and hotels are food? 🙃

If you think steaks are bad, go check what a pound of bacon goes for now as opposed to last year... practically double.

Thankfully microbrew beer and (for @marksuon) chocolate milk prices seem to be holding steady, at least around me

But inflation is in check 🤮🤮🤮🤮
Inflation due to short term labor or supply shortages? Nope. Classic capitalism and supply/demand reactions. Due to long term monetary policy? I guess we’ll see.

The fuel price inflation is a red herring. Prices are still lower today than when they were before the pandemic started.

Steak is also dependent on where you buy your steak. If cut up by IBP or the like then, yes, prices are higher due to labor shortages and some supply and transportation issues. Strangely enough, where i buy my steak and ground in bulk, the prices have barely risen. But then that is a walk in joint for the beef cattle, and they cut on site.

Inflation due to short term labor or supply shortages? Nope. Classic capitalism and supply/demand reactions. Due to long term monetary policy? I guess we’ll see.

The fuel price inflation is a red herring. Prices are still lower today than when they were before the pandemic started.

Steak is also dependent on where you buy your steak. If cut up by IBP or the like then, yes, prices are higher due to labor shortages and some supply and transportation issues. Strangely enough, where i buy my steak and ground in bulk, the prices have barely risen. But then that is a walk in joint for the beef cattle, and they cut on site.
Groceries, autos, fuel, housing, insurance and property taxes all up. Not good.

There will be a reckoning at some point, as the average person cannot afford these price increases.

Luckily, I have no auto loans and we built our home 10 years ago. I could not afford to build the same house today, plus buy the same vehicle I have now.

I hope the economy crashes and I can pick up a 2nd house at a decent price. 👍👍👍

Funny, that's the local Toyota dealership for me and they're a TLCA business partner. Wild to see these prices.

Shows they have (7) 200s in stock. Prices range from $105k - $120k (and two that you have to call for a price, so I'm guessing higher). One has 12 miles on up to 26k+ miles.

Wonder what they'll buy my '16 for :rofl:

But inflation is in check 🤮🤮🤮🤮
It’s only 5.3%* - totally reasonable and most importantly, TRANSIENT!

* after we removed everything that went up in price from our inflation calculation formula.

Last I checked the automotive industry as a whole accounts for 60-70% of the inflation jump, so not exactly a reflection of the fundamental economy given the supply chain impacts driving it. Pandemic inflation is real, but I'm not seeing any data that indicates fundamental changes, aside from the housing market, which isn't part of inflation calculations.

Prices for fuel lower than pre pandemic? Where are you buying your gas?

A lot of GM SUVs are built here in Lansing, Michigan. Because of the chip supply shortage, there are vast parking lots full of assembled but not sellable SUVs because they lack chips for certain functions. Everywhere here in Michigan vehicle plants of all brands are either slowed, shut down, or producing vehicles they can't sell because of chip shortage. Shortages of new vehicles are incredible on dealership lots around here, so used prices are stratospheric. A used car dealer south of town recently sold a used Civic for more than a new one costs. It's a perfect storm with vehicles like the 200 Land Cruiser that also had a rise in value due to end of U.S. sales scarcity.

I'm glad my other vehicle is electric because gas prices are up over $1/gallon compared to pre-pandemic in mid-Michigan. If those continue to rise, it may affect GM's ability to sell all those SUVs when they finally get chipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom