What years did Toyota switch from T-IV Trans fluid to WS fluid? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, I did search for this answer, but found conflicting information - and it is not in the FAQ. I just trying to determine when Toyota Switched from T-IV Trans fluid to WS fluid? I have seen answers of 2005 and 2006. I am just trying to make sure I get the right fluid for my 2004 LX470. thank you

I believe Toyota transitioned from type IV to WS when they introduced the 5-speed transmission design. The WS ATF btw is backward MY compatible, cmiiw.

2004+ 5-speed was the year they went to a sealed/ws. If you can, crawl under the truck and find the fill plug on your ''sealed'' transmission and they'll be a ws stamped right on the plug. Your 2004 and up should have it. 2003 if i remember was the only 5-speed that was not ws.

Last edited:
2004+ 5-speed was the year they went to a sealed/ws. If you can, crawl under the truck and find the fill plug on your ''sealed'' transmission and they'll be a ws stamped right on the plug. Your 2004 and up should have it. 2003 if i remember was the only 5-speed that was not ws.
👆🏽Correct

It is puzzling, why T-IV in the 2003 only and WS thereafter. Dealerships I spoke to, use Bulk WS in all not calling for Dexron. They use bulk Dexron when called for (100 series 98-02), unless transmission running hot, which they then they use Mobil 1 MV full synthetic ATF in place of bulk Dexron. Most shop don't even carry T-IV or use it.

I use:
Mobil 1 98-02
T-IV 03
WS 04 up.

I feel 03 will handle WS just fine, for that matter I feel Mobil 1 could be used in all. But I'm not taking the chance with any transmission "yet".

Interestingly (Exxon Mobil) Mobil 1 sell their full synthetic WS, but not in the USA. Exxon also make most all Toyota lubes.

It is puzzling, why T-IV in the 2003 only and WS thereafter. Dealerships I spoke to, use Bulk WS in all not calling for Dexron. They use bulk Dexron when called for (100 series 98-02), unless transmission running hot, which they then they use Mobil 1 MV full synthetic ATF in place of bulk Dexron. Most shop don't even carry T-IV or use it.

I use:
Mobil 1 98-02
T-IV 03
WS 04 up.

I feel 03 will handle WS just fine, for that matter I feel Mobil 1 could be used in all. But I'm not taking the chance with any transmission "yet".

Interestingly (Exxon Mobil) Mobil 1 sell their full synthetic WS, but not in the USA. Exxon also make most all Toyota lubes.

I suppose the reason they maintain the 2003 needs T-IV is simply because WS wasn't being used in toyotas yet, and it would be too big of a hassle to try and change all the existing documentation calling for T-IV. I don't think the a750f is picky in that regard, bearing in mind they DID make changes to the transmission for the 2004 model year. For any toyota made in the last few years that calls for WS I wouldn't want anything but that in it. Honestly I would expect a dealership to put the correct, specified fluid in my landcruiser. but I guess that's also like expecting dealers to also do other maintenance correctly.

The mobil synthetic sounds like a great idea for the older dex 3 transmissions.

I suppose the reason they maintain the 2003 needs T-IV is simply because WS wasn't being used in toyotas yet, and it would be too big of a hassle to try and change all the existing documentation calling for T-IV. I don't think the a750f is picky in that regard, bearing in mind they DID make changes to the transmission for the 2004 model year. For any toyota made in the last few years that calls for WS I wouldn't want anything but that in it. Honestly I would expect a dealership to put the correct, specified fluid in my landcruiser. but I guess that's also like expecting dealers to also do other maintenance correctly.
The Mobil synthetic sounds like a great idea for the older dex 3 transmissions.
Other than removing dip stick and pan with check plug. What was the change, from the 2003 750 to 2004 750?

Other than removing dip stick and pan with check plug. What was the change, from the 2003 750 to 2004 750?
I couldn't tell you anything technical, but looking at the parts diagrams some significant parts got new numbers for 2004 MY. valve body, planetary gear set, intermediate shaft, and some others

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom