What year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nobody mentioned the obvious rust issues. The rear of the tub will need a lot of work. I would bet there's more that can't be seen in the pics. Just be sure you're aware of what your getting into.
What he said^

If you are a novice with a wrench than this rig could easily spiral out of control especially if you plan on "restoring" it. Too many of these are for sale because the owners got in over there head and their wives want the garage back. If you don't mind the visible rust, the frame is solid and you are fairly confident you could get it running I would pay $2500 for it as is.

With that said, keep in mind some seller's lingo that could easily stray you from the path of a good one v a not-so-good one. "Just poured some gas in the carb and it fired right up!!!" A running vehicle is WAY different than a good driver. You have brakes, electrical, clutch, transmission, tcase etc. etc. that need to work properly to make it road worthy. All of these components can take time and plenty of $$$ to properly go through depending on what it is they need. "It ran when I parked it" is another one that you should take with a grain of salt. The longer any vehicle sits the list of crap that can go bad gets bigger.

Thanks for the advice. I dont even know it its for sale. Just found it and hoping some Cash will let me bring it home.I might have my toyota mechanic here take a look at it and tell me all it will need to I can get a basis. I will quickly be in over my head unless some local guys want to help me with this project haha

I would like to follow the Wngrog for the paint, rust repair - leave the patina. I d like to get it road worthy and clean up hte interior. I could care less about hte paint

Didn't the 73 have the rectangular reverse light on the drivers rear. My 73 had that and the darth vader light but was a hardtop.

Didn't the 73 have the rectangular reverse light on the drivers rear. My 73 had that and the darth vader light but was a hardtop.

72-74 had footman loop on all our FJ40s. The Darth Vader light were on all FST model and hit and miss on FHT models. Some had plugs where the light and switch were to the right of the glovebox door. Reverse light was a one model year only on the 73 model. Previous years were small and almost flush with the tub. 74 was part of the tail lights. 73 was rather large and was bolted to the tub. Not a flush mount.

the body has some rust nothing that i would call terrible, but i would be more concerned about what the frame looks like.
sitting in a grass field for any length of time would/will not do that any favors.
assuming the frame, or at least most of it is still there, it looks like a solid cruiser.

I was thinking too it’s all there. Looks very complete. Does the frame concern anyone? I understand it’s super old but I don’t want to get in over my head. I’m a very very novice wrench turner......

Frame is big issue— that has to be verified first in my view relative to condition. I like the rig and the color btw.

I never knew my 73 bought in Ct. was so special. Loved the darth vadr light, seeings though I took the hardtop off as soon as it even got close to warm.Stopped all the rattles! Well most of them.

I stopped by again today

a
559DAED3-D87A-4C1D-B494-D84B5A3B0504.jpeg
288CF373-9B83-493E-9FB6-0015C5AA4367.jpeg
B61B9F11-95EE-4439-B3BD-5D391985899A.jpeg
198FFB76-31D7-4535-9539-03C5157F2E60.jpeg
075A90E8-58F5-4E78-ADE4-8138D2B3AE4C.jpeg

217CC538-1D47-4B23-911F-417461471C45.jpeg
F79541F9-93FD-4C62-A0DE-F89777B55F86.jpeg
101C8DB6-F861-4138-AB53-D99043AD6023.jpeg
D4433EC0-4315-4778-A858-B4D77A59020B.jpeg
72EDFA21-9ECB-42BD-BC9E-094AA1506DC4.jpeg

So what do they want for it?

Havent had a chance to as the owner yet.I dont even know if they are willing to part with it.

Can yall let me know if this is realistic:

Buy this 40. then take it to Proffits or Cruiser Corps. Would $10k be enough to get this from lawn art to daily driveable condition?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom