what year to get?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello to all in the 80's section. I'm in the market for an 80 series (currently have a 40) but I don't anything about these. What year is best to get? What are the options to look for (ie: lockers...) and what type of problems to they usually have? I've seen mention about head gaskets, is this an 80 series weak link? Any help would be much appreciated. I'm looking to for one that I can make an expedition type rig out of (campning, hunting...). Thanks again, Greg

Check the 80 series faq and the Newbie guide in the tech section on www.sleeoffroad.com
Personally, I think any 93 or newer with the diff lock option, in the best condition at the best price, is the right one to get. 95 plus gives you airbags and OBDII (well, OBD 1.5 in 95, OBDII in 96+).

The FJ80 was 91-92. The FZJ80 was 93-97. The best to get is the one in your price range that has the options you want with the best maintenance. Mileage may be a concern for you but that's kind of an individual thing.

IMHO, the only option to look for is the diff-locks. Save your breath because sellers won't know the option by this term. Ask them to give you the axle code or tell you if it has a round knob to the left of the steering wheel with "Diff-Lock" on it. That's your first clue (more posts in the archives on verifying the presence of this option.)

The diff-lock option was only available on 93-97 model years and about 7% of the vehicles have this option.

Each spring and summer we see a rash of HG failures. This has been the case for about 5 years now. Is it a "weak link" ? I don't think so but those that have had a failure may disagree. If you are concerned then you can do it as PM or pay someone to do it for you. Otherwise, make sure the cooling system is working perfectly, install an aftermarket coolant temp gauge or do the Raventai mod to the stock gauge and watch the water temp like a hawk.

The 80-Series make excellent expedition type rigs. View the many ROTW vehicles to see how well these things can be equipped.

Hit the FAQ and read the Newbie guide (link is to the Slee Offroad Site.)

(Darn, Ben is MUCH faster than I am.... oh well, follow his advice :D )

-B-

Last edited:
What Beo Said! Just do not settle!! Buy what you WANT!! Not whats available. Check service history as best as you can!

Thanks for all the info thus far. I was curious how one would know if they had lockers or not. From what I have read Slee Offroad seems to be the expert in the 80 series and equiping them. Like I had said earlier, I have been a 40's guy for 20 years but the older I get I want to be a little more comfort but still have the reliability of the cruiser. Thanks again for any and all info. :beer: Greg

If it's locked it will have the little dial switch on the dash, left of the steering wheel, that says Diff Lock.

Look for a 93-97 with diff locks (especially if you want to take her off road). You will usually not pay much more for the diff lock feature since most owners have no idea what it really is.

Don't bother with a 91 or 92. They are very underpowerd and don't offer the front and rear lockers.

Here is some info from Sleeoffroad.com that gives a great explanation of the differences between the 80 series from 91-97.

1.1 US models

The first model of the 80 Series imported to the US was the 1991 model. This model was sold until 1992. 1993 saw the introduction of the new 4.5 L motor. In 1995, the dash was updated to include airbags and this model ran until 1997, which was the last year of the 80 Series. Below is a list of major specifications and changes that were made.

1991-1992

* First major wagon body re-design since the 1980 introduction of the 60
series.
* 3FE 4.0L engine and A440F automatic transmission held over from the 62 series wagons.
* Introduction of full time, four wheel drive system.
* Introduction of all coil suspension for the wagons.
* 15" x 7" alloy wheels standard and unique to '91-92 but the same as SR5 mini-truck wheels
* front disk / rear drum brakes with FF front and SF rear axles
* third row seats available for the first time
* no airbags available
* no ABS brake system available
* no factory lockers available

1993-1994

* Introduction of 16" wheels.
* Rear axle changes to full floater with disk brakes when equipped with ABS
* Also gets viscous coupling HF2AV transfer case versus
non-viscous HF2A transfer case for drum braked 80's (and fj80's)
* Introduction of 4.5l 24 valve motor.
* Front and Rear factory lockers become an option.
* Automatic transmission - Electronic Controlled A442Fwith mechanical lockup converter
* Somewhere in 1993 the AC system changed from R12 to R134. With the R12 systems the dryer unit was in front of the battery and with the R134 it moved to behind the bumper. Might have been in 1993
* The thickness of the drive plates on the front hubs were increased after April 1994 (build date). The new drive flange number is 43421-60040 and the old one is 43421-60022. This is important since certain after-market birfield joints were based on the earlier birfield. If you try to install an earlier birfield into a later truck, you will not be able to install the circlip on the end of the axle shaft.
* Supercharger systems now available for 1993-1994 models.
* Front ABS Lines are routed on the front control arm.
* Radiator is a 3 row brass core.

1995-1997

* 1996 saw the introduction of the Lexus LX450 Model.
* Exhaust system changed from side by side catalytic converters to in-line converters. The exhaust also routes below the frame rail just behind the catalytic converters to avoid excessive heat on the passenger floor-boards.
* Front grill changed from the word TOYOTA written across the front to the new Toyota symbol.
* Headlight mounts are different from 1991-1994 vs. 1995-1997 and will not interchange.
* Redesigned dash board with airbags as standard equipment.
* Headliner changed to two piece molded units.
* Emission system on engine changes. Changed from a Mass Air Pressure meter to a Mass Air Flow meter. Certain plumbing was also removed.
* Supercharger & Turbo systems available for 1995-1997 models.
* ECU updates and truck became voluntary OBD-II compatible. Fully compatible in 1996 models.
* Wheel Lug nuts change from conical to washer type.
* Airbags become standard
* Automatic transmission changes to the A343F. Some 95's were produced with the A442F. The transmission type is printed on the label on the driver door.
* 1997 saw the introduction of the 40th Anniversary editions as well as the Collectors Series.
* 1997 the rear swaybar brackets that attach the bar to the frame were changed from a plate side that attached to the side of the frame to a bracket style that attached to the bottom of the frame.
* ABS wires on the front were moved upward and no longer run down the front control arm.
* Radiator is a 2 row aluminum

40th Anniversary Specifications

* Two Tone leather seats
* Serialized symbol on center console.
* 40th Anniversary floor mats
* 40th Anniversary emblems
* Black Chrome badging
* Available in Sage and Green colors only
* Auto climate control

Lexus LX450 Differences

* Revised Audio System with sub-woofer in the center console.
* Optional factory installed cell phone.
* Softer suspension.
* Body cladding on doors, fenders and tailgate.
* Rear bumper corner pieces are bigger and the rear cross member is coverer with a plastic trim piece. Mud flaps are two-tone colored and not interchangeable with an Toyota
* Auto Climate Control
* Softer leather on seats and additional sound proofing.

secretagent said:
...I was curious how one would know if they had lockers or not...
Greg
Look at the bottom of the door sticker. It will have a line with a code for the transmission (A442 or A343). On this same line is a code for non-e-locker (K292) and e-locker (K294) axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom