What year is this 45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vossie

#thecrazycruiserman
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Howzt all, been a while.

I have my eyes on another 45, but boy is it gonna need some work.
I'm trying to figure out at least a rough idea of the build year. I'm used to 45s post 1975.
Unfortunately no data plate inside the engine bay. The engine is not the original, nor is the gearbox.
The only number I can find on the chassis doesn't look like it was stamped by toyota and is incomplete, so not too sure what happened there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20211122_162720.jpg

20211122_162733.jpg

20211122_163639.jpg

20211122_162920.jpg

20211122_164359.jpg

If the hood is original, the spear/ornament is missing. I believe the ornament went up to 1971. So, the truck would be pre 1971.

If the hood is original, the spear/ornament is missing. I believe the ornament went up to 1971. So, the truck would be pre 1971.
As far as I can tell all the body work is original. I've never seen a split hood before, wish it still had the hood spear
It's a 66 or 67 judging by the windshield clamps......the 3 hole design.
Thanks. So those are the correct clamps?
67 is my guess.. ribbed dash but has the cowl vent
Thank you
Aussie market got the ribbed dash longer than we did. As said, windshield looks 66-67
This would be a gen market I'm sure as I'm in Zimbabwe

Big question is what part are you wanting to know. That engine looks to be a 74. The heavy brake drums believe were second half of the seventies. The windshield latch would suggest 66/67 but brake booster I don't show starting until 9/73 on a RHD FJ45P.

Big question is what part are you wanting to know. That engine looks to be a 74. The heavy brake drums believe were second half of the seventies. The windshield latch would suggest 66/67 but brake booster I don't show starting until 9/73 on a RHD FJ45P.
I believe that the previous previous owner had tried to get it restored, but put in a new engine, 5 speed box, I assume the brakes with the booster as well. What I really want to know is just the body. My plans with this are a heavy resto mod. Old school looks, modern engine, suspension and brakes underneath

Being in Zimbabwe, what modern motors might you go with?
I have a lexus Ls400 with a 1uz-vvti. That's going to serve as my donor car. I love my lexus, but it's too impractical for our roads and is starting to show its age in some of the electrics, but the motor is sweet. My plan is to also use an R151 5 speed manual gearbox behind it. And because I have an entire LS400 as my donor, I have nice front seats, AC, and a bunch of other niceties I can steal, mod and fit to the 45

What will you do with the original drive train?
No idea. I do like the 2F, but with petrol at us$1.50/L here, it probably won't be used for anything ever again

No idea. I do like the 2F, but with petrol at us$1.50/L here, it probably won't be used for anything ever again

I keep forgetting the world is on the losing side of oil costs. I see things changing here as well.

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I have since started a build thread in the hard-core section. Purists might not want to visit it :grinpimp:

I can shed a little more light on this oddball 45 though. It's not a 45. Well, the body is of course, but I'm convinced the chassis and drive train are one of those super early gen countries 70 series. Its a 3F, H55 with fin spline half shafts and the small manual steering box. There is no chassis number to go on as someone ground it out and welded over it, then stamped a fake FJ45 frame number that's 3 digits too short. Good thing I'm ot using this chassis.

So unfortunately that doesn't help us nail down the exact year, so that means I have to ask questions of those with more experience and knowledge.

So here's the question, will a windscreen from a later year with the wiper motor on the bottom fit this tub?

Howzit Vossie. Nice to see you active again.

Weird doors on that thing. Do they take vent windows. I am busy getting rid of all my Cruiser parts and happen to have a set of really rusted out doors with vent windows if you're interested in the vents. I expect to be in Vic Falls and probably Harare at some point next year and could bring them with if you want. Will send you a list of all the stuff I'm getting rid of.

Howzit Vossie. Nice to see you active again.

Weird doors on that thing. Do they take vent windows. I am busy getting rid of all my Cruiser parts and happen to have a set of really rusted out doors with vent windows if you're interested in the vents. I expect to be in Vic Falls and probably Harare at some point next year and could bring them with if you want. Will send you a list of all the stuff I'm getting rid of.
Hey Dagha Boy!! Long time!

They are the original doors for the cruiser except the PO removed the top assemblies and windows assemblies to make them half doors. At least they have the latches!

I would be very interest in anything you may have that relates to the body, especially the doors!

This isn't going to be your traditional cruiser build as far as the chassis, engine and drive train but the body should be close-ish :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom