what year is this 40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
i know there are a ton of these but im curious. also the dreaded question whats it worth? its bone stock everything but the bumper and wheels original seats and everything.

mike
PICT0009.jpg
PICT0010.jpg

79 or newer, square bezel. looks clean dont know how much but if its around here at least 6000.00 or better.

I don't think the extra fuel tank is stock, but that cruiser looks NICE. Wow!

Looks like '79 or newer. Square bezel.

79 or newer

I would bet it is a 1979, 1980, or 1981.

1982 and 1983 are super rare

It seems super clean to me.

FYI- Extra auxilary tank is not stock.

If there is no bondo and no rust I would bet if everything is in order it is worth 12k to 15k as it sits. Depends on mileage, condition of drivetrain, records, accident history, if he has all of the OEM parts like bumper and original wheels, toolkit, hubcaps to bring it back to factory OEM. When you look at the side panels do you see tiny weld marks about the size of a ball bearing? If not then someone covered the welds with bondo or maybe sanded them smooth. Either way not good for value.

I am guessing you found it in AZ not in WA. I went to school in Bellingham, WA and most of the cruisers got rusty fast with that salty sound air blowing into town.

Aaron

If it has front disc brakes and the fuel tank inside the cabin, it's 76-78. If it has the the stock fuel tank on the outside(underneath) it is a late-78 or newer. If it has a 2F engine and drum brakes up front it's a 75 model. Between 75-82 it is very hard to tell the years apart front the outside.

Looks like a very clean rig! What are they asking for it?

well the price was 17k appeard to be all stock inside as well as every where else i looked. i saw the price so i didnt really gawk to much at it. it has the disks in the front and i knew it was 75 and later but wasnt sure on exact year .... the door was locked. Its in colorado if any ones intrested i could get the contack info. very very clean truck though...

Good eyes, the handle is on backwards..

Ryan

The VIN is on the outside front passenger side frame horn. That should tell you the production year between '79 and '83.

if the steering wheel looks like a fj60 wheel(with the 3 horn buttons) and the odometer goes to 999,999.99 then its a 8/80+

if the dash doesn't look like a "normal" 40, then its a 83, 83 got the dash insert(for lack of a better word)

81-2 very hard to tell apart as there are no real differences

if the parking brake is still on the t-case.........its a 79-80, brake on rear axle its a 8/80+

nice looking 40.

bet it's a 79

I'm just putting a 12/79 tub (1980 model year) on a 2/79 truck (1979 model year) and the 1979 model year fuel door opens to the rear of the truck (lock front/hinge rear) while the 1980 model year is opposite (lock rear/hinge front).

Don't know if model years 81-83 changed fuel door configuration again, but I'd guess not. So the combination of the square bezel and the fuel door leads me to say it's a 1979 model year.

any detail junkies out there have addition/correction on this? Pimp?

17 grand for a 40 that looks to be newly painted... No knowing what's hiding under that paint. Bit risky for me unless the seller had detailed info and pics about the restoration and I still wouldn't pay 17.

my 82's have the lock to the rear and the hinge to the front.

good observation :)

erics said:
I'm just putting a 12/79 tub (1980 model year) on a 2/79 truck (1979 model year) and the 1979 model year fuel door opens to the rear of the truck (lock front/hinge rear) while the 1980 model year is opposite (lock rear/hinge front).

Don't know if model years 81-83 changed fuel door configuration again, but I'd guess not. So the combination of the square bezel and the fuel door leads me to say it's a 1979 model year.

any detail junkies out there have addition/correction on this? Pimp?

thanks pimp

additional confirmations are in as well... fuel door change happened from 79 to 80 model and continued on through the rest of the early 80's trucks

this truck is definitely a 79

Ya know, somebody ought to build a "taxonomy decoder tree" for this sort of minutia for decoding FJ40 model years, and put it in the FAQ.

I'd do it myself, but I'm no expert.

Kirk

"taxonomy decoder tree"... isn't there a rule about using language like that on this list?

besides, can't we just get one of those in a cereal box or something?

seriously though, good idea...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom