What year is my FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a mash of parts

You will most likely never really know how it came to be like this … the vin plate has been replaced … that would have told us the rear opening configuration … it has been stamped incorrectly

Nobody ever split the engine number with a - hyphen… not any South American CKD or anybody

The stamp for FJ40 should say FJ40L soft top or FJ40LV hardtop

To be an ambi door rear it should say FJ40LV-C

FJ40 indicates it’s a RHD basic model soft top but even then the door configuration would be included

The front doors are wrong … I think john mentioned even above … you can even see how the striker doesn’t sit on the tub correctly

There is a lot that’s not correct for a 74’ and more not correct for a 75’

It is what it is … a restomod 74’ truck

Enjoy the truck … it’s clean … it’s nice… it’s yours

And still people will drool over it

:)

the vin plate has been replaced … that would have told us the rear opening configuration … it has been stamped incorrectly

Nobody ever split the engine number with a - hyphen… not any South American CKD or anybody

The details of the configuration on the VIN plate started in 1975, so for a 1974 it would not help for this matter.

But yes this VIN plate is completely wrong... the engine displacement is a joke...

@flx I agree yes… if it were a 75’ as he was thinking it was … I was getting ahead of my thoughts

Any way it’s just wrong … doesn’t even say LV as a 74’ would … a good argument in why people should not be able to stamp their own vin plates

This is a mash of parts

You will most likely never really know how it came to be like this … the vin plate has been replaced … that would have told us the rear opening configuration … it has been stamped incorrectly

FJ40 indicates it’s a RHD basic model soft top but even then the door configuration would be included

The front doors are wrong … I think john mentioned even above … you can even see how the striker doesn’t sit on the tub correctly

There is a lot that’s not correct for a 74’ and more not correct for a 75’

It is what it is … a restomod 74’ truck

Enjoy the truck … it’s clean … it’s nice… it’s yours

And still people will drool over it

:)

Not sure if the original plaque would have had the rear door configuration. It was 1/75 the plaque had more than LV. Wasn't until 1/75 when a R was added RHD. Was hit and miss if the V was even on the early hard tops in the sixties. Soft tops rarely had the letter which would show which type of hard top it was.

Not sure if the original plaque would have had the rear door configuration. It was 1/75 the plaque had more than LV. Wasn't until 1/75 when a R was added RHD. Was hit and miss if the V was even on the early hard tops in the sixties. Soft tops rarely had the letter which would show which type of hard top it was.
If all hard top 40s have the “LV” after the designation, why is the 45LV referred to as the LV

In California, special construction motorcycles were listed as the year they were registered regardless of the year of the frame or engine. Is it possible that Costa Rica did the same thing at some point?

In California, special construction motorcycles were listed as the year they were registered regardless of the year of the frame or engine. Is it possible that Costa Rica did the same thing at some point?
It’s possible. Although it’s weird that it was registered almost 2 years after it appears to be built. These allegedly sold really well over there

I also don’t know where they were built, but there was no Costa Rica factory, and I think they’re different than Venezuela ones. Maybe Japan? Idk.

My 1974 (10/73 built) was delivered new with a hardtop but only has FJ40L int he VIN plate.

If all hard top 40s have the “LV” after the designation, why is the 45LV referred to as the LV
It's bad naming created by people that did not know better back then.
Pickup were 45LP so in the 60's a 45LV would have designated the Station Wagon in the US.
But in RHD configurations that would have been a 45RV...
LHD troopies also are 45LV....

Most of the world still works like that and back then it was not rare to see a vehicle seats for a year or two before to be sold and so the date on the registration does not indicate at all the year it was built.
Over here most 1974 were registered in 1975 as there were a 6 months delay between build and delivery... So a lot of people think the top mounted wipers ended in 1975...

Does anyone have a list of the 40 series factory locations somewhere, and what countries got which cruisers? It’s got to exist somewhere on the internet, it’s just not coming up when I search it

A lot of what your asking for has been posted and the links to toyota global

See here:

1975 frame off with a restored original engine, supposedly. It came up from Ecuador few years ago. Vin on the plate matches the frame but yes the vin tag is not original.

View attachment 3230301

View attachment 3230302
FWIW - It appears you have torn the engine down, at least took the head off? If you are ordering parts for it, be sure of the engine build date. I'm sure you know, different years use different parts. Post up a pic of your engine ID number just to help verify the build date.....it's just behind the distributor, towards the firewall.

There’s also a manufacturing date on the block (driver’s side near front above engine mount) and head (under valve cover).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom