What year is my FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought she was a 1975, but now discovered (Thanks Matt!) that it has the .5F (or 1.5F) 1974 engine. ummmmm??? The vin number also points to a 1974. The wiper motor is up top, which I think points to 1974. But the ambulance doors I thought were introduced in 1975... More pics on the way. Thanks all!

P1260011.JPG

P1260012.JPG

P1260013.JPG

P1260016.JPG

P1260017.JPG

By the VIN it would be July 74. The windshield and how the striker is mounted for the front doors would support that. Ambulance doors were available in some markets back to 72 so may be correct for a non US market FJ40. Where does the oil filter mount? What does the valve cover look like?

1975 frame off with a restored original engine, supposedly. It came up from Ecuador few years ago. Vin on the plate matches the frame but yes the vin tag is not original.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looks good, however, like others mentioned, not original (no necessarily bad, just different, and could hinder your part buying process)

Paint looks to be new or new-ish. Watch out for rust bubbles or bondo on the body work. Rust bubbles under the paint may become more apparent over time. I think I can already see some.

It’s possible it is a decent job though. Mine from South America is rusty, but not bad at all compared to other stuff I saw.

In the engine bay, I think I spot some rust bubbles

E09712F6-EA3C-4D4C-8B7F-786B7BC099FC.png

It’s a South American mash up. If the frame numbers match the new vin tag, you can just say it’s a ‘74 but the doors, engine certain lights, maybe the ambulance doors all are various years. The valve cover is a 80-87 2F so they used shorter valve train studs or it’s a 2F head. Did you check the numbers on the block? Might actually be a 2F.

It’s a South American mash up. If the frame numbers match the new vin tag, you can just say it’s a ‘74 but the doors, engine certain lights, maybe the ambulance doors all are various years. The valve cover is a 80-87 2F so they used shorter valve train studs or it’s a 2F head. Did you check the numbers on the block? Might actually be a 2F.
Head, block, manifolds are all 74F.

What part is 75 only? Rear axle is new with the hand brake. If Toyota it's 8/80+. Dana rear axle I'm not sure. The tub looks to be earlier than 1/75. I installed 79 front doors on my 68 FJ40 close to forty years ago. I made an adapter of thin piece of steel so the doors closed tight against the door surround. Picture of that area will show which type of door the tub was made for. If this was imported to the US originally the owners manual would be for a 74. How other countries titles does doesn't all sure match how Toyota did it for the US. Not sure other markets even had model year like the US. But in the US this is a 74 model made in July 74. Would be curious to see the ambulance door opening.

What part is 75 only? Rear axle is new with the hand brake. If Toyota it's 8/80+. Dana rear axle I'm not sure. The tub looks to be earlier than 1/75. I installed 79 front doors on my 68 FJ40 close to forty years ago. I made an adapter of thin piece of steel so the doors closed tight against the door surround. Picture of that area will show which type of door the tub was made for. If this was imported to the US originally the owners manual would be for a 74. How other countries titles does doesn't all sure match how Toyota did it for the US. Not sure other markets even had model year like the US. But in the US this is a 74 model made in July 74. Would be curious to see the ambulance door opening.
1975 only is the ambulance door hard top with no rear small window that opens

Actually in the US it's 1/75-8/76. 1/76-8/76 would have a bracket for three point seat belts. But other markets ambulance doors started 4/72.
Oh

I guess international 40s aren’t standard? I’ve seen 74 land cruisers in Costa Rica with tailgates, I guess there really is no way to tell with international cruisers

No rear side-marker light, so clearly no NA spec.

I agree with most, looks like a 74 with a few upgrades from following years.

Sometimes the PO or the records just don’t know. My Costa Rica title said 1979, so when everything got transferred, my American title now says April 1979, but nothing about my cruiser says 1979. Everything says 77. I just say it’s 77 but I’m never going to actually know

Is this picture of the door closed?
P1260012.JPG

When I first added late door to my 68 used the original holes in the floating plate to mount the striker. Left a gap. I made an adapter the moved the striker in so the door fit tight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom