What Year fj40 To buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in Costa Rica and looking to buy an FJ40 diesel for a friend. I'm gonig to keep it here, not bring it back into the States.

What years were the big upgrades in? I seem to remember (about 10 years ago) Jonathon from TLC mentioning something about 77 or later, for some reasons I can't remember.

Any thoughts?

I'm new....so i'm sure you will get more specific answers soon....but...I just bought a 78 (I live in Bogota Colombia)....I was looking for a 79...as if you look at the history links...this is when more upgrades were implemented. Actually....I think it was 1976 and then the next jump was 1979.

But the funny thing is...I think it is different for exports to Central American and South America FJs....as the link below shows FR disk breaks after 1976 ..mine does not have them...

See this link: http://www.off-road.com/tlc/faq/40.html

Bill

The consensus is '78 (less rust) or '82+ (expensive - best driving) ... anything after '76 should be a good bet though. Not sure if BJs followed the FJs exactly ... and when they got disks down there (if at all).

Good luck!

Tucker

The stuff you hear from the US market maybe differant than whats true there. We only got gas engines here and I think the disk brake change over was differant for some markets. Disk brakes are the one big upgrade I would look for.

Get something after 74 when the pinions went from coarse spline to fine spline,fine spline is way stronger and will take a lot more abuse.plus after 74 you get a disc brake front,at least in Canada.Hell in Costa Rica you can probably buy a brand new one from the dealer!

As far as gas FJ's go, Late '75 or '76 disc brakes. 78 ? or so on had the front shackles on the rear of the leaf springs not sure on the diesels.

LC_Hamma said:
First thing I'd do is swap for '79+ steering knuckles.

Why ?

mallred said:

Besides the birfs, the knuckles studs are the next weak link. The '79+ knuckles hold a larger stud & the arms have a wider mounting contact area. If you had one of each to compare, you'd clearly see the difference.

Roadnoiz40 said:
As far as gas FJ's go, Late '75 or '76 disc brakes. 78 ? or so on had the front shackles on the rear of the leaf springs not sure on the diesels.

What? I have a 78 and the shackles are on the front of the front leafs.

Later,

There was no Land Cruiser made that came from the factory with a shackle reversal.

Buy the year you get the best price on. If you're not going to run 33s the front end isn't going to snap on you like some cheap toy. They're all pretty good and all have their ups and downs. I have a 74 all swapped around, a friend has a 78 with 4 wheel disk and power everything and on and on.. Then I have a 65 course splines and all with four wheel drums. I can stop that thing on a 45 degree slope with no troubles.. Sometimes it's better to buy older and just fix/upgrade as you break it.

Bottom line, shop for a deal not a year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom