What would you pay? (1 Viewer)

Website
photobucket.com
It's a 1980 BJ40 with 365000km, aqualu tub, hard and soft tops, 2 sets of tires etc. Looks to be in good shape but it's 7 hours away so I haven't seen it in person yet. More pics should show up in my email tomorrow but what do you think it's worth? Thanks.
1345.jpg

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Website
photobucket.com
Romer said:
Depending on what the rest looks like maybe 4-8KUS$

Don't you think with the new tub, paint and diesel it's worth more than that? I've seen regular FJ40's sell for more that were in similar or worse shape. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious why you think so little. Thanks. .....Steve

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
Might have better luck here....

What are they asking for it?

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
Isn't that one 11k CAD?

Sounds high. But if you got a clean tub/frame....good compression on the diesel. the kms on that one are quite high. definately do a compression test first.

I have seen Bj40's in rough shape down around 3k CAD, buy a tub and some parts your up at 7k total. Not counting the labour. So 10 for a rebuilt one isn't out of the question.

Remember for a bit less than 14-16 you can get a clean 40 series diesel from Japan. I have seen a couple very sweet RHD imprts 40 series..

Poser

Oh...Durka Durka Durka.
Supporting Vendor
What is the mechanical condition of this?

What has been rebuilt/gone through in the quarter-million miles of it's life?

I have seen many vehicles, not just Land Cruisers, that looked really nice, until you crawled under it and looked at the frame, or noticed the mechanical work that needs to be performed, or how butchered the electrical system is from the PO's...

Good luck!

-Steve

Website
photobucket.com
Here's my situation: I'm a huge Toy fan and have spent the last 6 years building my Tacoma for wheeling. Dual ARB's, winch, lift and armour. Now I'm looking for a week-end Toy and have always loved the FJ's. I have decent mechanical skills but no body work talent except putting dents in my sheetmetal. I started looking for an FJ with a good body and needing an engine and found nothing. Then I figured I could get one that runs, put on a new tub and have it painted but now when I do the math for parts, paint and labour and figure in the time I don't have with two very young kids it may be worth it to pay for one that's running with the body work done. That way it's usable when I want it but I can still tinker on it when I have time. That's why I'm looking now at something like this now.

Brownbear, they are asking 11K but I talked to someone at the dealership who said they want it gone and are accepting offers. I have little idea what the market dictates in western canada for one of these as I rarely see them for sale and when I do they're either totally beat of fully restored and going for a fortune. If you know of any for sale please let me know. I'd also appreciate advice on what to look for. Thanks.

Poser, I don't have any more details than what I posted earlier but I would hope that if the time was spent to restore the body with a new tub they hopefully have done the rest of it nicely. It's also relatively stock looking so I'm not sure if they've wrecked anything else. I've also seen great rigs ruined by poor workmanship and if that's the case I won't bother making an offer. One of my requests was for service records and the name of the guy/company that did the restore work. I'll post up what I hear tomorrow. As I said above, any advice for the first time cruiser buyer is appreciated and yes, I have read the FAQ and searched like crazy. I've spent close to a year looking around and reading before I registered to post here. Thanks. .......Steve

nuclearlemon

not an addict
SteveO said:
Don't you think with the new tub, paint and diesel it's worth more than that? I've seen regular FJ40's sell for more that were in similar or worse shape. Not saying you're wrong, I'm just curious why you think so little. Thanks. .....Steve
i personally don't like the aqualu fenders, so i would deduct for that. if it is in great mechanical shape, i'd say 6- 9Kus

brownbear

Mod in Hibernation
SteveO said:
Brownbear, they are asking 11K but I talked to someone at the dealership who said they want it gone and are accepting offers. I have little idea what the market dictates in western canada for one of these as I rarely see them for sale and when I do they're either totally beat of fully restored and going for a fortune. If you know of any for sale please let me know. I'd also appreciate advice on what to look for. Thanks.

Is the truck in Calgary? if it is you could take it to get inspected at Luxury Imports by Wayne(crushers) on here.

He does inspections for people. That I would do.

SO if you get for 10 or 9500 your doing good.

If it is in Vancouver there are a few good guys to go to. PM me.

BB

I think about it like this, Yes it's a 40 series truck which in your eyes maybe a older more tank LC rather then a 70 series. You can spend 10 000 CDN and get a truck that has already had an entire life of back trails, gravel roads and 365 000km's. Or get a nice rust free truck that has never seen salt, some have never seen dirt with under 100 000km's for around or under 20 000cdn depending on which options you want and the overall condition and km's on the truck.

The bottom line, people love there land cruisers and if someone is selling one, more then likely there is something there worried about going wrong that is gonna be a costly repair, but hey maybe not, that truck could still have an entire life for you left.

I'm just so picky I need a like new JDM!!!

Last edited:
i second the aqualu fenders, not a big fan.
what generation aqualu tub is it?
still a 4 speed or is there a swapped in 5 speed?

365,000 km, i would get a compression test done by an independent facility. if you have anyone i the area that you trust then you can have them take a gander at it.

i still like the old 40 series but i have become spoiled so i don't have one any longer. IF the restoration/refurbishing was done properly it could be worth $20,000 to the right bloke, $10,000 to some and a $5000 bush truck to others. if you have a hard on for an old diesel 40 then i would say (if it checks out fine) $10,000 is a fair price. if you kinda like it then offer $7500, if you get it great, if not, no sweat.

if you want a truely clean unit then you can get Hill Top cruisers to build you up a steel 40 for big money or i will build you up a fiberglass unit for big money...

this is my take on the question.
cheers

Website
photobucket.com
brownbear said:
Is the truck in Calgary? if it is you could take it to get inspected at Luxury Imports by Wayne(crushers) on here.
BB

It's in Vernon so I'd have to find someone out there to have an initial look. If it seemed good to them I'd drive or fly out and check it out myself before buying. If it seemed fine then I'd bring it back.

Wayne, I've seen your site a bunch of times and am impressed by the work you do. I was also talking to a guy in my class(instructor at SAIT), Paul Henman (I think) and he recommended I talk to you. I'm not able to spend 20K on a cruiser initially. Maybe over a few years but not all at once. If I did end up paying someone then from what I hear you're the guy to talk to.

Do you know of any, or have any older 40's for sale that would be a good start for a project but are drivable now? I'm not looking for a pile of parts to sit in the garage, I'd like to be able to drive it for the summer then start on it over the winter. Plus, my wife wouldn't go for more stuff in a pile just yet. :rolleyes: Thanks. .....Steve

Steve,
first, thanks for the compliments.

there is a gasser north west of the city that needs brakes, a 73 i think. the body really is not bad at all, a set of seat covers, brakes and $2500 and i "think" you would be ready to go.
then down the road you could decide on the engine swap you want, PZ, HZ, 12HT, 3B but in the end you might just leave the old "F" in it and enjoy the ride...
you would have a small amount invested and also would allow you to see if a 40 is where you want to be in 5 years...
cheers

Website
photobucket.com
crushers said:
Steve,
first, thanks for the compliments.

there is a gasser north west of the city that needs brakes, a 73 i think. the body really is not bad at all, a set of seat covers, brakes and $2500 and i "think" you would be ready to go.
then down the road you could decide on the engine swap you want, PZ, HZ, 12HT, 3B but in the end you might just leave the old "F" in it and enjoy the ride...
you would have a small amount invested and also would allow you to see if a 40 is where you want to be in 5 years...
cheers

I like the sounds of that one, do you have any more info on it? I've been searching forums, canada trader and Googled this country to death and haven't heard of that one. Shoot me a PM with a link or phone number and I can look into it. I'm off work today so I'm dedicating some time to the search. Thanks. ...Steve

Hey Steve,

Sorry I totally forgot to go look at my friends 40 for you.
I can if you still want. I think he wants $1500 for it. I can shoot some pics and talk to him about the condition if your still interested. I would like to buy, it and restore it myself. But right now I lack both the time and the money.

I am going through the Okanogan this weekend. I could try to hook up with the guy and look at the BJ40 for you. I will be going through Vernon saturday afternoon. I can shoot pics, look for rust, and other issues, test drive it for you etc... It could save you a trip. Let me know. I don't have to much time to get deep into mechanically, but I look for the obvious things.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
Website
photobucket.com
nickw said:
Hey Steve,

Sorry I totally forgot to go look at my friends 40 for you.
I can if you still want. I think he wants $1500 for it. I can shoot some pics and talk to him about the condition if your still interested. I had hoped of buying it and restoring it myself, but I have no time or money for the project.

I am going through the Okanogan this weekend. I could try to hook up with the guy and look at the BJ40 for you. I will be going through Vernon saturday afternoon. I can shoot pics, look for rust, and other issues, test drive it for you etc... It could save you a trip. Let me know. I don't have to much time to get deep into mechanically, but I look for the obvious things.

Cheers,
Nick

Hey Nick, if you're passing through and had some time I would appreciate at least knowing from a third party what the body and frame looked like. I'm interested to know how well it was restored. A test drive would be interesting to hear about as well. Don't go out of your way but if you wanted to kill some time checking it out that would be great. It's at Vernon Toyota.

If you get a chance as well to look at your friends I'd be interested in knowing more about that. As long as it drives and the frame's not rotted out that could be a decent one as well. Let me know what you find. Thanks. ......Steve

SteveO said:
Hey Nick, if you're passing through and had some time I would appreciate at least knowing from a third party what the body and frame looked like. I'm interested to know how well it was restored. A test drive would be interesting to hear about as well. Don't go out of your way but if you wanted to kill some time checking it out that would be great. It's at Vernon Toyota.

If you get a chance as well to look at your friends I'd be interested in knowing more about that. As long as it drives and the frame's not rotted out that could be a decent one as well. Let me know what you find. Thanks. ......Steve

Vernon Toyota huh.
Okay I will try and stop by.
Have you talked to them? I.E Should I say that I am looking behalf of a friend from Calgary named Steve?

I will look at the BJ40, test drive it, see how it feels, look at the mechanics, and take lots of photos and report back. Hopefully they don't have a new FJ Cruiser, or I might get a bit sidetracked. :)

I will also check my friends FJ40. My friends says the frame is good. Body has some rust, but its still saveable. No checkerplate to cover big holes or anything. It is not running right now. It did run last summer, and he was driving it. Right now it turns over but does not get spark. I have not personally checked, but my guess would be the points need changing. My friend tried to get it going, but he probably does not know what points are. I think he checked more for things like the fuel pump and carb working, good cap+rotor, plug and plug wires etc...

Anyways, I will report back about the truck on monday when I get home.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:
SteveO said:
I like the sounds of that one, do you have any more info on it? I've been searching forums, canada trader and Googled this country to death and haven't heard of that one. Shoot me a PM with a link or phone number and I can look into it. I'm off work today so I'm dedicating some time to the search. Thanks. ...Steve
it isn't advertised at all, i met the lady when she stopped by a couple years back and we corresponded about it...
i can give you directions but i suck at that, best would be for youto stop by and i will draw a map or beter yet see if i can dig up her number...
cheers

Wayne, (and others),

What specific things should I look for on the BJ40 for Steve?
I am going to give everything a check.

But I am wondering if there is anything on the BJ40 that would need extra attention.

Cheers,
Nick

Last edited:

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Website
www.4x4panama.com
what is the most expensive item that you can found in a "second " hand old car.

Engine = compresion test
Vaccum Pump = vaccum test
Diferential = diff oil test
Tranny = tranny and t-case test ..

Drive it .. and feel it .. we know about land cruisers .. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom