What would you pay? HJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my father in laws neighborhood gets a HJ45 from his brothers estate recently. Running and driving and in decent shape. Definitely some bondo but appears to have limited rust. Frame (was) in great shape as well. He was moving it around and the brakes went out and he rolled through a fence and off a 6' wall. Frame is bent only at the very front it appears and obviously the whole front clip is bent as well. No original bed... Claims to be a 1975 which appears to be true off the frame number. Although the doors appear to be older? From the paint it looks like the roof and doors are off another truck. Anyway, what would you pay? Whats it worth? Was all there minus the bed before the wreck.

Last edited:
Where is it at? US or Central America?

Did the engine or rad get damaged? Trans mounts?

We need more info to help you.

Engine and radiator are fine, trans mounts appear to be fine. Its in Texas with a clean title.

How is the radiator fine? Seriously the front end is pushed back at least half a foot

Ok lets say its fine for sake of the question. Im not worried about 500 for a new radiator in the scheme of a full restoration. With what these are selling for these days Im considering this might save some cash in the long run if I can get it cheap.

I've said it before.
Non-US 45's don't seem to fetch the big bucks or big interest.

In that condition, a Central American HJ45 with a known bondo job and a severely bent frame and messed up front sheet metal, and who knows what else, maybe a $1000 or two.

Does the engine need a rebuild?

My I ask why central American fj45s are less valuable or have no interest? @45Kevin

I really don't know, but I have a few theorys.

Central American vehicles have a reputation of being beat to death, and then "restored" with lots of bondo and non-OEM parts.

Some vendors of CA vehicles have been very un-transparent with their vehicle sales.

45s just have such a small group of followers.

All of this is just based on my observation and readings here on Mud. I'm not an Automotive expert or anything like that, just an amateur gear head that spends to much time on the internet. And being a 45 owner I do keep track of it's value on the open market.

Central American vehicles have a reputation of being beat to death, and then "restored" with lots of bondo and non-OEM parts.

Some vendors of CA vehicles have been very un-transparent with their vehicle sales.

All of this is just based on my observation and readings here on Mud. I'm not an Automotive expert or anything like that, just an amateur gear head that spends to much time on the internet. And being a 45 owner I do keep track of it's value on the open market.
Thanks for the reply and the insight! I was wondering about Venezuelan and Colombian cruisers yesterday and I thought they could be a good investment especially with the prices in the US

I've said it before.
Non-US 45's don't seem to fetch the big bucks or big interest.

In that condition, a Central American HJ45 with a known bondo job and a severely bent frame and messed up front sheet metal, and who knows what else, maybe a $1000 or two.

Does the engine need a rebuild?

I agree, a person buying this , in condition, can part it out and at least get a bit more than 1000.00

Thanks for the reply and the insight! I was wondering about Venezuelan and Colombian cruisers yesterday and I thought they could be a good investment especially with the prices in the US

If 45 were being restored and sold here from Canada probably hear the same thing as those are full of rust. In general what is coming in from Canada are non-restored and not trying to hide anything. When you see new tubs coming in from south of the border and all the issues with those that doesn't help the case for quality work. I would sooner buy a original paint cruiser needing work than one of the fresh paint that may be hiding who knows what. Enough of these Bondo filled cruisers have shown up in the states that anyone familiar with 40 series would probably want to their own inspection before buying one.

So what do you think a similar Costa Rican truck in good original condition (minimal bondo, good paint, runs well) that already has a title would go for here in the states?

So what do you think a similar Costa Rican truck in good original condition (minimal bondo, good paint, runs well) that already has a title would go for here in the states?

I really don't know. First thing, I don't know if there are many Costa Rican 45s in good original condition. I mean there are working trucks, bought to work on plantations, and most of us know that. Second, there are so many scammers out there an Central American truck will be looked at with skepticism and that will have a financial penalty. And they almost never come with a bed, which is kind of what makes them what they are in NA.

If it was a good runner with original metal, you could probably by it in CR for a few thousand, then $3-4K to get it the NA, then maybe a $2K mark-up. Maybe it could get $10K. This just a WAG.

One of the difficulties with the Central/South American Land Cruisers is trying to weed-out the crooks who patch and bondo trucks that are beat to death, from the honest guy who took care of his Cruiser. Once word gets out about how much someone got for selling their vehicle, the copycat scam artists flood the market.

It might take quite a bit of time searching and checking-out a lot of trucks before finding one in decent shape--it really takes hands-on, up-close, very thorough examination to weed-out the imposters. As others have said, don't be swayed by the pretty paint jobs--dig deeper, much deeper.

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom