What would you pay for this 1971 FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have been a follower of this site for years, and Now that some cruiser funds are available, I can foresee being able to pull the trigger on a 40 series once I find one worth buying.

I have stumbled upon this one that is pretty close to my area and I’m curious what it’s worth.
1971 40 with electronic ignition, aftermarket flamethrower coil, gear reduction starter.
Short block replaced 4 years ago due to broken rod. Rebuilt carb, new factory tank. 3 speed, drum brakes. It has a rebuilt title. I am trying to get the story on the reasoning of the rebuilt title. Looks like minor rust on the rear sill and rocker. Supposedly the engine stutters when the gas pedal is initially pressed with a cold engine. Sticky blinkers, gauges intermittent, wobbly speedometer.

Thanks for your time,
465F28F4-5914-4F8A-ABA1-E736D6BB75C1.jpeg

F7EF153A-B711-4CAE-AF7F-384B685CCE47.jpeg

A96BE18C-4907-4330-B414-9928DFE4236B.jpeg

49B55003-8C91-4B44-80B2-2A1164CA5A99.jpeg

650A415B-CF04-4AAC-A4E6-F5E2FEA9D381.jpeg

Adam

I see red on the firewall, and looks like over spray on the hood. The rest looks good with all
the usual rust. Whatever the history, the truck is a nice example of completely stock.
If it’s not too much I’d say go for it. My ‘73 FJ40 was a mess when I got it, and my BJ74 was a
salvage title now the BJ74 is candy. Good luck.

I see red on the firewall, and looks like over spray on the hood. The rest looks good with all
the usual rust. Whatever the history, the truck is a nice example of completely stock.
If it’s not too much I’d say go for it. My ‘73 FJ40 was a mess when I got it, and my BJ74 was a
salvage title now the BJ74 is candy. Good luck.

Yep, I just talked to the owner, it was previously red he thinks. Doesn’t sound like there’s any documentation in regards to why it’s a rebuilt title. He’s asking 14k and I’ve been following this site long enough to know not to pay near that, was just wanting some of you guys professional opinions. Unfortunately it doesn’t sound like he’s willing to let it go for what it’s worth, so he may be holding onto it for awhile.

You’re right up against the sad problem of enthusiasts and the greedy. Keep looking,
but keep going back to this guy. If he sits on it long enough he might get bored.
Wouldn’t be the first time.

Rebuilt title and that rust goes all the way through. Flood car ? $4-6k is probably the right answer. Rebuilt title is always less value

The title alone kills the resale value; no way this is a $14K truck. Half that, maybe.

the winch has a curious lack of components to make it functional.

no shifter through the trans tunnel, no linkage (pillow block, ujoints, shafts etc), no gearbox attached to the trans.

If the gentleman includes the words "PTO winch", know that you only have half of one and the parts are stupid expensive to make it functional.

hOOter

$6K the stumble could be as simple as a thermostat that was installed upside down, ask me how I know🙄. Or could be several other things, I say $6K max.

The white paint is hiding a lot. I would bet

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom