What would you offer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Came across this 60 last month in my travels for work. Original New Mexico truck that is as rust free as I have ever seen. C channels have no sign of delamination and literally not a spec of rust anywhere. Interior is dry rotted and everything but the headliner and steering wheel would need replaced including the door cards. Tag says it's been parked since 2010. Story goes current owner bought it in 88 with 20k miles on it. He was T boned at some point causing the damage seen to the passenger doors and fender. At that point he sold it with 170k some odd miles around 20 years ago. He purchased it again from a mechanic shop a few months ago in non running condition for 1500 dollars and 182k miles. It now has a salvage title which it didn't have when he last sold it. Damage to both doors is minor so zero structural damage to negate a salvage title. I suspect perhaps it was stolen at some point and considered a loss. It was allegedly parked for a rusty gas tank which kept clogging the carb. Story sounds fishy to me but who knows. I made an offer knowing what he paid for it that he turned down but am reconsidering. To me it's a bit of a mystery box that will need four tires to even be moved. I already have a new shiny 12ht and h55/split case to drop into it so I'm not too concerned about the 2f. I'm also willing to bet it's got the tank recall open on it.
The body is extremely straight with the exception of the two doors and fender and dent in the valence. It's also a late 85 build so it's got the extension making an h55 swap even easier.

I've been into cruisers long enough that it's too hard for me to pay today's inflated prices.
What's the brain trust think?

20220114_205757.jpg
20220114_211047.jpg

If it weren't for the rebuild status I'd say $10k? Am I insane? But coming from Canada a rust free truck comes at a premium, maybe down there not so much.

If he paid $1500, I wouldn't start at a dime over $3500. If he guffaws, then bump it up. You can't go back down if you offer too much at the git-go.

3k to 5k. It's going to cost you to replace the interior, doors, fender, valance and swap the drive train. Then you have to work through fuel system, brakes and other unknowns. Can you pop the hood and look on the firewall near the vin tag? you should see another sticker from the dealership if the tank was replaced.

3k to 5k. It's going to cost you to replace the interior, doors, fender, valance and swap the drive train. Then you have to work through fuel system, brakes and other unknowns. Can you pop the hood and look on the firewall near the vin tag? you should see another sticker from the dealership if the tank was replaced.
I didn't get any extra tag - that I've found anyway - when my gas tank work was done 11/2020..... 🤔

Came across this 60 last month in my travels for work. Original New Mexico truck that is as rust free as I have ever seen. C channels have no sign of delamination and literally not a spec of rust anywhere. Interior is dry rotted and everything but the headliner and steering wheel would need replaced including the door cards. Tag says it's been parked since 2010. Story goes current owner bought it in 88 with 20k miles on it. He was T boned at some point causing the damage seen to the passenger doors and fender. At that point he sold it with 170k some odd miles around 20 years ago. He purchased it again from a mechanic shop a few months ago in non running condition for 1500 dollars and 182k miles. It now has a salvage title which it didn't have when he last sold it. Damage to both doors is minor so zero structural damage to negate a salvage title. I suspect perhaps it was stolen at some point and considered a loss. It was allegedly parked for a rusty gas tank which kept clogging the carb. Story sounds fishy to me but who knows. I made an offer knowing what he paid for it that he turned down but am reconsidering. To me it's a bit of a mystery box that will need four tires to even be moved. I already have a new shiny 12ht and h55/split case to drop into it so I'm not too concerned about the 2f. I'm also willing to bet it's got the tank recall open on it.
The body is extremely straight with the exception of the two doors and fender and dent in the valence. It's also a late 85 build so it's got the extension making an h55 swap even easier.

I've been into cruisers long enough that it's too hard for me to pay today's inflated prices.
What's the brain trust think?

View attachment 2894057View attachment 2894059
Man .... this truck plus my truck would make a really nice one. My interior and drivetrain are great. Body is awful on mine, and the frame cancer is starting....

3-5k is about what I would say too. There is definitely a lot that needs to get replaced, and even with todays cruiser prices I don't think I could justify all that much more.

I didn't get any extra tag - that I've found anyway - when my gas tank work was done 11/2020..... 🤔
I had a tag but the writing was faded to the point of not being able to read much. Onur ran my vin and said it was done in 1991

A brand new 300 Series GR Land Cruiser (which is not available in the USA) costs $110,000.
It does pretty much everything the same as a FJ60 but it’s nicer and newer.

Something else I have to consider is with the current condition i would have another $2500 in just getting it home. 4/5 tires would need installed and shipping from NM to Alabama. He wasn't crazy about my initial $2500 offer but i told him the above and that it's basically a big mystery box. I told him with certainty that from sitting that long and the climate, every rubber seal would start leaking within an hour drive. Most likely will need all new hydraulics (brake and clutch). Even though I don't care about the drivetrain, I told him if he got it running and driving i would offer him more. He took it to another mechanic yesterday and told me he would update me soon. Fingers crossed here that it's got a bad motor.

Before offering anything pop the hood and check the engine wiring for rodent damage since that 60 has been sitting with tumbleweeds piled around it.
I did look it over as best i could with where it was parked. Didn't see any rodent damage.

3-5k is about what I would say too. There is definitely a lot that needs to get replaced, and even with todays cruiser prices I don't think I could justify all that much more.
I'm kinda with you here. I mean it's a basket case and it would be far from my first cruiser to pile funds into. I think it would put me at 8 and although it wouldn't be at the back of the line it also wouldn't take priority. With all the same mentality though I hate to pass up a rust free sample like this one.

You have to consider transport costs, and costs to restore , even parts are getting higher, if you can get them. I like working on cars, that said I have a couple of project cars that even if I consider my labor at .05 an hour, will be losers.

I don't mind working cheap on my hobby, paying to do it makes me feel dumb.

The other HUGE factor is the salvage title. It will hurt the value forever.

You have to consider transport costs, and costs to restore , even parts are getting higher, if you can get them. I like working on cars, that said I have a couple of project cars that even if I consider my labor at .05 an hour, will be losers.

The other HUGE factor is the salvage title. It will hurt

The other HUGE factor is the salvage title. It will hurt the value forever.
Yeah same here with all my projects in terms of labor hours I've spent on them. The salvage title is a bargaining tool for me but nothing else. Alabama doesn't issue titles for vehicles 35 years or older.

That truck is showroom condition compared to some I see for sale in the 10k range. Most of you "and me" are living in the past when it comes to what trucks sell for now days. Id love to have this thing. Perfect swap over for what I currently have.

If you end up getting it, I have a lot of miscellaneous interior parts, like the cargo area trim below the windows and in the back corners, pretty complete set of under dash ductwork, etc. And I'm in New Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom