What would you guys do about this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AlaskanWheeler

SILVER Star
Threads
This body is a '81 FJ-40, it will e used as a daily driver and offroader. about 60/40 and the offroading I do is mostly trails not as hard core as most on the board I'm sure. It's going to be SOA'd, 37's, and caged.
I have the option of going Gozzard but thought I would get some advise first, Thanks.
There is also rust along every seem in the rear, I can also start to peel the quarter panel off the rear seal plate. I'll try to get some better pics later.

Jack up the radiator cap, and slide a new truck under it...

Good luck!

-Steve

shoot...that's nothing...cut out rust and put in new...steel's better than fiberglass anyway.

nuclearlemon said:
shoot...that's nothing...cut out rust and put in new...steel's better than fiberglass anyway.

I agree, thats easy to fix. Vut it out, if its small use a dremel. weld or arc weld depending on size, new steel

I'm really impressed with the Aqualu stuff I've seen.

Gozzard was nice too, just didn't like the fact that it wasn't metal.

You can pay now, or you can pay later. The more metal you change now, the more you'll slow the whole rusting process down in the long run. Still looks do-able at this point from what you've posted.

There's something about the time element in tub conversions that would make me keep repairing the stock one.

To be fair tho, does the frame look like that too? :eek:

I think that the first thing I'd do is treat all that brown with a good rust converter product so I could see what's really been eaten. Just because you see brown doesn't always mean that it's serious rusting. Pay close attention to seams between panels and parts.

You don't show much but what is visible doesn't look too extensive.

we need more pics. But like everyone else has stated. Cut out the cancer and put in new steel. Fiberglass suxs IMHO. it cracks and falls appart and you have to replace the whole body if for some reason you accidently roll it. Plus those things are damn expensive.

Poser, that's the best line I've heard in a long time.

I should have done that to my truck years ago....

RedGreen said:
Poser, that's the best line I've heard in a long time.

I should have done that to my truck years ago....

You and me both man...

:beer:

-Steve

Fix it....

you can see where I ground the weld down and then got lazy and left the rest. If you really want to know how bad it is, hit it with a hammer. The rust blisters are always about two times larger than they appear.
5.jpg
6.jpg

The frame is in solid condition and there are no problems with it. I'll get more pics out tomarrow evening. The previous pictures don't show the worst part of the damge. The glass tub would be about 4500.00 delivered to my door. I could sure think of a lot more useful things to spend that kind of money on.
I would like to replace the metal I know that will probably be the case.
Thanks for the advise.

I would scream "Hell Yea" because my 40 would be in such damn good shape. I hardly even see any rust there. Once you can see the ground through it you will be in my shoes.

looks like someone installed a new rear floor at some point........or painted it black

For 4,500 bucks you could

By a good welder
Take a body/welding class
Do your own work
and have money left over for a new paint job

I say patch away, you should still come out way ahead and have some flow for a locker or something else you would like.

I agree with the fiberglass thing, it seems like a bigger problem if you have a crack or heaven forbid, roll the rig.

my .02

Rezarf <><

I agree completely with Honk. Rust inhibitor, paint and then drive. It doesn't look too bad.

brian said:
i imagine that when you put the roll bar back on, it will cover most of that up.........
Yeah, but then the metal under the roll bar will be seriously weak..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom