What would you do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have the chance to buy a 97 eighty series with factory lockers. The issue is the engine needs to be replaced. It has 155k on the odometer, and the interior is in great shape. Assuming everything works is 4k a good asking price? I'm also thinking about a diesel conversion. I guess my question is actually what's your opinion? Just put another gasser in or think other?

IMHO its too much money. One of our club members just picked up a 96 lx450 with a running engine with a knock in it for $2k. Engines are not cheap and neither is the price to work on one. If you do all the work yourself your still going to be out some considerable time and coin.

Now I have not seen the truck and perhaps its has several thousand in extras and is extremely clean but in this part of the world its too much money

I agree with REKCUT...to much for an 80 with a blown engine. You could find a decent running 80 for that kind of money.

Why does the engine need replacing after only 155k? That's a serious red flag IMO.

Bought my busted '96 80 for $1,800...though I think I still paid a couple hundred too much...but it was 8 miles from my house so I jumped on it.

I would offer them half of there asking price.

My $0.02

Yea, $1,500 to $2k if it is nice shape. You also need to figure out how much $$$ you want to put into it. Then take that total and see if there is anything else you could buy for that amount or less. Since the engine is hosed, this does give you options on what you want to do. So if you bought it for $2k, got a used engine for $1500, add in $300 for new PHH, hoses, ect, and did all the work yourself, $3500 for it all would not be bad.

Now, to your question, what would I do? It depends what I want a cruiser for and how much money I would like spend on it. Figure those 2 things out and the rest will fall into place.

Last edited:
That's what they were asking for a similar situation ('97 LC, locked, blown motor) one over here in WA, and typically cars are a little higher priced here in the PNW. Last I talked to them, they decided to keep & have the motor fixed, and it sounded like they did it because nobody gave them a high enough offer. It was black & the interior was so-so & the body had plenty of little dings, I only offered $2500 & that got me nowhere.

$4000 seems like a high asking price, but if it's a solid vehicle without any other issues than the motor, the only other high priced thing that might be neglected is the axles, and if you are floating a diesel swap that isn't too big an add to the cost of a swap really. At least in my head I see a swap using the Turbo Diesel motor as a solid $10K, maybe $15K if the more recent prices I've seen are valid whereas even a new set of birfs ($1K) & spindles, and the rebuild kit for the axle stays well south of $2K, $1K if you flop the birfs.
Doing a diesel swap I'd only start with something with a solid body/frame, everything else is bolt-on.
If the body/frame is solid (Has it lived in NJ forever - rust?) & you really plan to keep the thing for the long haul to recoupe the initial cost of build, then up to $4K might be OK - If I found a Moonglow locked with low body miles & no rust I'd probably pay up to that.

It better have a real nice interior & body for that though.

I think I would offer $1500 with the intent of MAYBE coming up to $2000 after negotiation. You have quite the project ahead of you, engine replacements/rebuilds are not a one day job. I have found plenty of good running 80 series cruisers for $4000 all over the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom