What would you do with an hdt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brand new here, unfortunate circumstances finally made me join.

Well I had my dream car for about four days.... A 1991 hdj80 imported from japan. I saved and saved and when one finally showed up I took the risk and bought it. She was beautiful.
... Four days later I got t-boned. Now I have the wrecked body, a concussion/sprained neck from taking a Chevy to the face, and a perfectly running hdt.

My question for you cruiser heads is this: What would you do with it if you had this engine sitting around? What are the easiest/coolest rigs to swap it into? Thanks for the advice, I'm excited I finally joined. (I also have an '85 fj60 and a 2000 lx470 :)

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

Man... how disappointing is that!? I hate that it happened to you, but at least you're still here to tell the story. Firstly, I hope everything works out in your favor. I'm not really sure what I would do if in the same position. Those motors bring good money, so one option would be to part the vehicle out. You could buy another one stateside and do a motor swap. You could even buy a 40 and do a motor swap in that. It just all depends on what you want to do.

Man... how disappointing is that!? I hate that it happened to you, but at least you're still here to tell the story. Firstly, I hope everything works out in your favor. I'm not really sure what I would do if in the same position. Those motors bring good money, so one option would be to part the vehicle out. You could buy another one stateside and do a motor swap. You could even buy a 40 and do a motor swap in that. It just all depends on what you want to do.
Thanks for the reply! Yea it's not ideal at all...
I don't know what to do at all. I'm not much of a mechanic myself but I'm trying to teach myself.
I suppose I'm hoping to figure out if there is one swap that is particularly easier than other land cruiser models?

I would find another 80! Seems like more and more 80 series on Craigslist anymore. Find one for a reasonable price swap in the diesel
I would find another 80! Seems like more and more 80 series on Craigslist anymore. Find one for a reasonable price swap in the diesel will the transmissions work together still? Like fo

I would find another 80! Seems like more and more 80 series on Craigslist anymore. Find one for a reasonable price swap in the diesel
I've been thinking about that... Do you know if the engine from a left hand drive would have problems with a right hand drive donor vehicle?. Excuse me of that's a dumb question lol.

Everything should be there same mechanically... electrically is another story. You'll have to either rebuild the one you have to supply power to everything on the other side of the cab, or have one made?

I've been thinking about that... Do you know if the engine from a left hand drive would have problems with a right hand drive donor vehicle?. Excuse me of that's a dumb question lol.

no problem with the engine and trans, itll be the same lhd or rhd. wiring harness will be different and thats where youll have to get creative or buy a new harness. if you do buy back the truck you can sell the motor and trans, i would keep the truck whole because if someone is doing a swap theyll be able to pick and choose any extra parts that they may need

Get a clean FZJ80 stateside and make her burn diesel. Very simple swap to put a 1HDT where a 1FZ came from. Full mechanical diesel is very easy for electrical too.

Drop it in another 80.

It's a basic bolt in, engine and mechanicals are all the same except minor things like steering. Easy swap with a relatively small amount of electrical.
Especially if it is a 5 speed manual

If you have the wreck as a donor you have everything you need to do the swap, albeit some parts would need to be altered, or damaged stuff replaced.
If you find a '90-'93 80 with the same style dash, you can probably swap the dash cluster over to work with the HD-T

Assuming you're not too far away, you could contact Mark Whatley in Wasilla to see if he or any of his clients would like to buy.
Mark runs "Cruiser's Only" automotive shop , is a long time Land Cruiser fanatic and owns several 80s himself.

Glad you survived, that's what matters most.

Just another opinion. If you don't have the mechanical know how, garage, plethora of tools, spare parts, and a lot of time to do it yourself, I'd probably, with great swallow of pride and ache of heart, sell it to someone who can make it into another cruiser. Take proceeds and some more cash and buy another one. You should get a good payout from insurance, and likely the opportunity to buy it back at a good price.

If you have a thick wallet, time, you may find someone who can bring your dream to fruition. I'd guess you'd be back behind the wheel in 9 months to a year.

Just an opinion. YMMV

Swap into a left drive US truck, but...if you do decide to part out the truck I need the glowplug timer relay behind the PS kick panel.

Sell it and start over.

Some of the greatest builds start with stories just like yours. Consider yourself as having a blank canvas and let your vision of your dream rig evolve.

Some of the greatest builds start with stories just like yours. Consider yourself as having a blank canvas and let your vision of your dream rig evolve.
Thanks man. I needed to hear it.
And thanks for all of the replies from all of you! Im getting it towed away from the yard now and I'm going to take some time and decide what I will do. I'll keep you guys posted!

Glad you survived, that's what matters most.

Just another opinion. If you don't have the mechanical know how, garage, plethora of tools, spare parts, and a lot of time to do it yourself, I'd probably, with great swallow of pride and ache of heart, sell it to someone who can make it into another cruiser. Take proceeds and some more cash and buy another one. You should get a good payout from insurance, and likely the opportunity to buy it back at a good price.

If you have a thick wallet, time, you may find someone who can bring your dream to fruition. I'd guess you'd be back behind the wheel in 9 months to a year.

Just an opinion. YMMV

I would second that. Lots of knowledge needed for a swap like that. Others may make it sound like it's a job for an afternoon, but I'm sure they have the skill and knowledge. Just the motor and trans will sell quickly for $7-9k. I'm sure if you listed the whole vehicle in the classifieds it would be gone in days.

Tube buggy!!!!

Brand new here, unfortunate circumstances finally made me join.

Well I had my dream car for about four days.... A 1991 hdj80 imported from japan. I saved and saved and when one finally showed up I took the risk and bought it. She was beautiful.
... Four days later I got t-boned. Now I have the wrecked body, a concussion/sprained neck from taking a Chevy to the face, and a perfectly running hdt.

My question for you cruiser heads is this: What would you do with it if you had this engine sitting around? What are the easiest/coolest rigs to swap it into? Thanks for the advice, I'm excited I finally joined. (I also have an '85 fj60 and a 2000 lx470 :)

View attachment 3195960
View attachment 3195959
Isn't your neck STARTING TO HURT??
Knees are wobbly.
Vision is decreased.
Hearing is reduced, etc. etc.
A major lawsuit is in the making. And with the $400-$500 thousand you get from that (minus lawyers' fees), you'll be able to put that motor in any number of things.
Is that blood coming out of your ear?

Last edited:
Knees are wobbly.
Vision is decreased.
A major lawsuit is in the making. And with the $400-$500 thousand you get from that (minus lawyers' fees), you'll be able to put that motor in any number of things.
Will the poor man ever work again? How will his family ever survive?

Knees are wobbly.
Vision is decreased.

And people wonder why insurance is $$$$$ these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom