What would you do to my rig with $2000? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so I think I'm getting close to selling my Mustang. I'm only going to assume I'm getting $2000 for it ($1000 less than asking).

Here are the mods/PM I'm going to do:
- Tires either 285/75 BFG AT KO's, Revo's, or Geolander AT Plus II's
- Wheel bearings
- Birf repack
- Brakes
- Shocks (this is dependent on some other parameters)
- Front Mudflaps
- CDL switch and Pin 7 mod

Considering the above I figure I'll have enough left over for one "big" mod. Here are my two considerations:

ARB Winch Bullbar (don't know if stock suspension will handle)
------ or ------
OME 2.5" Heavy Lift (which means I don't need shocks)

What would you go for? You are not limited to my choices above.
Any setups equalling roughly $2000 considered.

This rig will be used for light/moderate Colorado wheeling as well as being my main transportation to and from Colorado from KC. It is not my daily driver. See signature for model.

Thanks,
-Andrew

Regarding the 2.5 OME Heavy - I think you'd have to replace the shocks and brake lines IIRC. As I said in my PM, stock suspension can handle the ARB up front. If you have the original coils at 200K, I'd vote for the lift first, then the ARB.

Make sure you have everything you need to get fixed on the truck first, then I'd lift it before I bought an ARB.

i vote for ome and some bigger tires.

Brentbba said:
Regarding the 2.5 OME Heavy - I think you'd have to replace the shocks and brake lines IIRC. As I said in my PM, stock suspension can handle the ARB up front. If you have the original coils at 200K, I'd vote for the lift first, then the ARB.

You don't need brake lines with an OME kit.

i second the portals

A lift and tires would be perfect and just about 2K. I assume you'll do the installs yourself. Definitely get the heavy lift. The bullbar can wait until you save a few $.

TiredIronGRB said:
Save about $3K more and put a set of Portals under it;)
:rolleyes: ..............................

better just get the OME lift.

I'm impressed at the preventative maintenance items in your list. Versus mods, some of this captures and resets the designed durability of the 80, which itself is a key advantage that allows this vehicle to function well as both a DD and a capable offroad vehicle. With that in mind, I'd consider reinforcing that list a bit with:

All new heater and radiator hoses (inc. PHH)
Thermostat/coolant flush
plugs/rotor/cap
change fluids: brake bleed, tranny, 3 diffs

DougM

Tools R Us said:
You don't need brake lines with an OME kit.

Even with a 2 1/2" lift?

IdahoDoug said:
I'm impressed at the preventative maintenance items in your list. Versus mods, some of this captures and resets the designed durability of the 80, which itself is a key advantage that allows this vehicle to function well as both a DD and a capable offroad vehicle. With that in mind, I'd consider reinforcing that list a bit with:

All new heater and radiator hoses (inc. PHH)
Thermostat/coolant flush
plugs/rotor/cap
change fluids: brake bleed, tranny, 3 diffs

DougM
I already have the PHH and FHH kits ready to be installed. I just need to find the time, and the weather, to be able to do a flush of the cooling system and do the hoses. As for the brakes, they're going to be flushed when I have them done, they also need work.

Diffs have been changed already, transfer case has been drained of the ATF and filled with 80W90 for now, then it will be changed again soon to rid the case of most of the ATF.

I also have a new thermostat and a power steering pump rebuild kit. Plugs have already been changed, just need the cap, rotor, and wires.

Thanks for the tips, I should be getting all that done sometime soon. PM definitely comes before mods, the mods are assuming I have all the PM done.

I would do the OME med lift. I did not worry about the brakelines and I had Slee do it. My rig is fully loaded with bumpers, winch, etc. and I still run the med lift. I just added spacers ($10 each) to the front springs. The only difference between the med and heavey is the spring length, they both can handle the same load (See FAQ item)

My first mods were:

1. OME heavy f/r

2. 285 BFG AT/KOs

3. ARB bumper & Warn 12k winch

Brentbba said:
Even with a 2 1/2" lift?

The springs don't matter, it's the shocks that allow the axle to droop more. With the L shocks the front is fine, the rear needs the hard line mount lowered about 1.5" then the stock line will work. The stock brake lines are fine with the standard OME shocks.

lift

Tools R Us said:
The springs don't matter, it's the shocks that allow the axle to droop more. With the L shocks the front is fine, the rear needs the hard line mount lowered about 1.5" then the stock line will work. The stock brake lines are fine with the standard OME shocks.

Interesting - thanks!

OME lift.

bull bar later.

I'd get the shocks that mate with the OME springs.
No need to do anything else (brakeline wise or bumpstops or ... whatever).

NorCalDoug said:
OME lift.

bull bar later.

I'd get the shocks that mate with the OME springs.
No need to do anything else (brakeline wise or bumpstops or ... whatever).

Well, I think I'm sold. OME 2.5" heavy kit from Slee is what I'm gonna do as my first mod (not counting the 285 BFG's as a mod).

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom