??????what would you do if....?????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Once again H8ers.... What would you do if?????? .... Here's the scenario. I bought a 91 TLC from the original owner last year with 160k miles. They really took good care of this truck. I mean this truck is close to being in excellent/mint condition. Here's kind of the ideal situation/dilemma. My :princess: has given me the green light on finding and buying a clean 96/97 Lexus 450, if i can find one. I really love driving my 91 and I am confident and secure on the truck mechanically. I have yet to drive a 93+ TLC or 450. Ok. Ok. Ok. Here's the question. Would you ditch the 91, knowing full well that it is in solid shape, and move up to a 96/97 TLC or 450? I know this Cruiser thing is a sickness. And to tell you the truth I'm *^%#$@*? up!!!!!! BUT ALL IN!!!!!!!!!! What do you think? DSC_0057.jpg
DSC_0057.jpg

If you love your 91 and it suits your purpose, keep it. The 1fz brings a nice upgrade in power but there is no substitute for reliability and confidence.

Solid. 1 point for 91.
Thanks

I have both a 91 & a 95....Why not just have both?? Just like B legit said the 1FZ is awesome and if you can't have both then I'd say stick with the one that gives you the sense of security and reliability....but then again...why not have both??? hehehe...

I have both a 91 & a 95....Why not just have both?? Just like B legit said the 1FZ is awesome and if you can't have both then I'd say stick with the one that gives you the sense of security and reliability....but then again...why not have both??? hehehe...

x2.:D

That's 3 for the 91 and 2 for 96/97 lx450. BOTH!!!!!! In have thought about the land of AND...... And no go form the wifey. thanks. H8ers!!!!!! What do you say?????

If it is going to be purely a family hauler then i'd go for the later model. This is due to ABS and airbags that just make me feel more secure if my wife and kids were off driving it. I love my 92 and that is the only reason I can see to go up in years. You also of course get lockers if you can find them.

It's up to you. I have my 92 and never thought of going up. That's because I can change axles put in lockers and it is my driver and still plenty safe (built like tank) and I have the time and know how to work on my 92.

I don't have a + for either till I find out exactly what you are going to use it for.

I've been in the same situation, actually same truck, paint, wheels, and all.
Mine had 89k on it 3 years ago when I got it.. Everything dealer serviced.

I've found a 95 doner truck that is locked. If I could finagle it without losing my girlfriend, I'd buy it, swap the axles and sell the doner for close to what I paid for it.

I understand the 15" wheels wont fint, (and I LOVE my wheels, same as yours) I've also read that a little grinding on the calipers in the rear will allow enough clearance. I also have a set of 1.5" spacers that I understand will allow the wheels to work, but I need to lift it to keep from rubbing the fender wells..

Good luck..

a

man that is a tough decision!

all I can offer is my strategerie moving forward with the Cruiser sickness.

When I decided to get my first 80, I decided I was comfortable spending some dollars to get a OBDII compliant, ABS equipped truck. The reasoning behind this, beyond those 2 features, was that later model vehicles tend to have all the kinks worked out and the vehicles power etc has been maximized; later year versions of a vehicle model tend to be more advanced than the first years of said model.

My first 80 was super clean, one owner, locked. I packed it into a bridge avoiding a 4 car collision in progress in front of me and the truck was totalled. I did walk away with no injuries at all, not even a sore neck. I was so so bummed. It was one of those trucks you would want to own forever, it was that clean. :frown:

I decided to buy another 96 or 97 for the same reasons as before. This time around I was not as patient in my search and my current truck shows the signs of wear and tear of 3 previous owners. I am bummed out I don't have a super clean truck, since that what I really wanted. But I am happy I am driving a 80 again, wouldn't change that decision if I could do it over.

My advice out of this story is to consider going to a 96/97...IF you can find one that meets your search criteria.

The Cruiser sickness is really about owning a Cruiser, regardless of model year, and, in my opinion, the cleaner/more stock/classic the truck can be, the better. Yes it's great to mod the heck out of the truck and turn it into an off road beater, but I'm guessing that's not your goal (it's not my goal either).

It looks like your 91 is in super good condition. If that super good condition is part of what you love about it, it could be more challenging than you think to find a 96/97 replacement that matches the condition of your current rig.

Good luck!

I would stay with the 91 It is super clean. I would only trade up for one as clean or cleaner than the one you have. I am wishing mine was as clean as yours is.

The passenger airbag and ABS is why I picked a '97. The condition was the deciding factor though. If you can find a '95-'97 in the condition you want, go for it.

The dilemma is really - Why are you interested in a '93+?

Are you dissatisfied with your '91? Doesn't sound like it to me.
Do you want to get rid of it? Not unless you're crazy!
Do you want another Landcruiser/450? Sure - hence the addiction!
Can you afford it? _________
What will you use it for? _____________
Do you need it? ____________

Only you can fill in these blanks.............Good luck!

I always think that knowing what you have is a big plus over getting some unknown. What if the 95 drives great, is comfy, more pep, and has a really bad engine and has been poorly maintained?

I think that the lack of power of the 91 is non-issue. So you go a bit slower...

But... airbags are a big deal to me too...

Stick to the 91. use the money to upgrade the rig with a lift, tires, sliders, and bumpers. the engine is bulletproof. LC's are like crack. One hit and your hooked. You need intervention.

If ABS, airbags, and the possibility of diff lockers are such a huge feature package you don't know how you lived this far without, then do it.

If you are fine with your 3FE powerband & you don't see the ABS & airbags as too important, then use the money you would have spent to get an ARB locker (if you even find you need them) - or just save the money period.

A clean, well maintained 'Cruiser of any year or motor trumps getting into a newer one just for the sake of doing it. Even a '97 is now a 14-15 y.o. model, so the difference between the '97 & your excellent condition '91 seems inconsequential to me.
I have a '97 that I bought ~10 years ago & back then it would have been different since my '97 was ~4-5 yrs old & A '91 would have been ~11-12 yrs old, but now since they are all relatively old I'd take a known reliable one of either motor versus buying a newer one just for the sake of it without knowing your "level of need" when it comes to the safety equipment improvements, or if you find a need for more power/HP of the newer twin cam motor.

What is the reason you are targeting the newer 'Cruiser? Also, are you specifically after a Lexus branded one? It seems like from your wording that you are, is that correct? If so, what is the reasoning?

Fellas. Thank you so so so so much. I seriously have been thinking about this for a long time. The main reason for finding and purchasing a LC/Lexus 450 is because the wife feels that a Lexus has been taken care of more so than a LC and it has airbags. We have a 2 year old and she's thinking safety. I'm thinking more power. Not sure if I really need the power though. As I have stated earlier I have yet to drive a 93+ so I really don't know the power difference. I'm afraid that if I did drive a 93+ I would be hooked. But maybe not. Thanks again FELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the 91 has the overall vote. SOLID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H8ERS. What do you say?

Fellas. Thank you so so so so much. I seriously have been thinking about this for a long time. The main reason for finding and purchasing a LC/Lexus 450 is because the wife feels that a Lexus has been taken care of more so than a LC and it has airbags. We have a 2 year old and she's thinking safety. I'm thinking more power. Not sure if I really need the power though. As I have stated earlier I have yet to drive a 93+ so I really don't know the power difference. I'm afraid that if I did drive a 93+ I would be hooked. But maybe not. Thanks again FELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the 91 has the overall vote. SOLID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! H8ERS. What do you say?

Your wife is a little misled. Lexus or Yota, doesn't matter, they are the same truck. I've seen badly beat-up Lexus vehicles and babied, garage-kept Yota vehicles, so really the choice goes right back to you.

My personal opinion would be to stick with the 91 since it's so clean.

since you have the green light, get the 97, lift it, lift the 91, hang a v8 in the 91, supercharger, do the t-case mods, axle mods, overhead steering mods, exoskeleton mods, big tires, lockers, racks, sliders, bumpers, moose catcher, (you gotta eat) did I miss something?
Oh, don't forget to take lots of pictures for those of us who are sitting here at the stop sign.
I love my 97, but from the sound of it they are all pretty much good.

Go drive on with the missus and see how you like it. Then decide whether it is worth the output in cash. If yes, then start searching for a clean one in earnest....

Thanks again fellas for the advice. I think I will go drive a 93+ and decide whether the extra power and extras are enough to take the next step. I missed a pretty good opportunity. There was a 96 LX for sale in Dana Point with 250K miles going for $2k. When I checked for the truck the second time within a few hours on CL the truck was gone!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm waiting for the new owner to register on MUD. H8ERS.......WHAT DO YOU SAY??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom