What would you do? 1979 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking for advice on whether or not it would be worth the time and money to import my 40 (original b engine) to the US from Central America where I have been for the last eight years. I have owned it about three years now and have put a few thousand into upgrades. Disc brakes, dobinson sus, roof rack/lights and a bunch of OEM interior parts. I bought if for $12k. It is bullet proof- no issues at all and I’ve driven it all over Honduras. A magnet will stick everywhere on it. No major rust. I’ve researched the importation process a bit and it will cost around around $1k to Miami and from there will most likely use Uship to NJ. I plan on using it as a summer camping/trail rig with the wife and my two small boys. If I were to sell it here (~15k) I would use those funds to buy a 100 series once we get back to the US as a daily. If I were to pull the triggering importing, I am thinking of getting some body work/paint work done here as you can see in the photos, it’s nice but not perfect. Let me know your thoughts, I’d appreciate any advice.

C5F21E07-DD2B-4919-AB04-77C41E80C5D8.jpeg

BF149A8B-3E0E-4A0E-BF26-BAFBD7CE4E9D.jpeg

61AD450D-17FF-4CA7-9107-DC5B6F28C66C.jpeg

9E2EABA3-2313-48FE-8C67-9BB36B5421D2.jpeg

41D4714C-BB89-493A-ABEC-7D2620B4F733.jpeg

i'm thinking, hell yeah!

Don't forget Import frees, Broker Fees and import taxes. Much, if not all fees are based on the value of the vehicle. Also, most overseas freight companies only deliver to the shipping docks. You will have to arrange pickup/delivery to your residence or locale.

I believe FJ40's are still up in value. If it were me , I would import it and use it.

Thanks guys. I’ve always been leaning towards bringing it with me, just torn on how practical it would be. And I knows everyone s***s on CA cruisers, but this has been taken care of. I’m only the fourth owner and have the original bill of sale when it was bought in ‘79 for $2,000. 🤘

Hi, Why would you not bring it back? Mike
I’m most likely taking it back with me. I guess I’m not sure if the pros outweigh the cons but it’s my dream rig and would be very hard to get rid of it. 8 years ago when we decided to move here, we sold everything so we’ll be starting from scratch again. Just second guessing myself really.

We s*** on CA cruisers people restore in CA/SA for sale to unsuspecting gringoes...

Since you know the high points and needs then you will not be surprised by the result of your importation...

That said, my 2 cents are that you can bring it here to the states and with a little work, get more than enough to buy a 100 series and lightly build it if you decided it wasn't right for your needs.

100s are everywhere here, but you'd have a hard time finding a good condition BJ for what this one cost/will cost you.

Also, there is a great auto shipping broker on here named Aaron with Summit Auto Transport @Riverrunner . He might be able to help you get from the port to NJ... You may also think of Baltimore instead of miami as well since you are in NJ... You could actually get down there and drive it back yourself...

I have imported 2 diesel forties from Costa Rica in a span of about a year and a half, and in total, it has cost me about 3k and about 3 months of time to do it for each vehicle. You could probably go faster, but many places don’t even know what to do to get it out of the country. Most of the time comes with trying to get it out of the country rather than get it into Miami or Jacksonville or wherever. Also, shipping from the port to New England will cost a lot, it cost me about 900 dollars to get each car to North Carolina from Florida. Honestly, the investment isn’t the cost, it’s the time. I know I’m a little late, but I have no regrets on importing my trucks. I love them, and it saves the bank compared to buying a US spec.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom