What would it take to meet your expectations for the new FJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
If it was as offroad capable and durable as a Taco with a rear locker and the current "concept" styling toned down would it be satisfactory? Will you be disappointed if it's not give the name Land Cruiser and is only called the FJ Cruiser? What would make it LC worthy?

Trying to gather some thoughts for my evaluation when I view it on the 15th at the auto show.

I think so......Don't think the name will matter much, just as long as it can wheel with or even be better than a Rubicon out of the box, even if slightly higher, becuase the Toyota quality will be worth it...

I think it would be smart NOT to call it a LC. It would confuse the general public and piss of the hardcore LC owners.

If it is capable as a Taco with a utility interior, I'd buy one. It looks to be the replacement for my wife's ECHO.

Must have a 2 speed transfer case and a live rear axle.

It can't be all that bad. Look, sold axles are gone. If it's on a Taco frame I'm sure it'll share the same running gear. The 100, 4runner and taco are ifs and folks are wheelin em good. I mean look at that gx470 in 4wheeler. Pretty decent considering... I might have a hard time choosing between a gx470 and the fj. I just hope they water down the exterior some and fix the huge blind spots and round a few things out.

Hum.. fj cruiser with 2 1/2 in lift and a marlin crawler could be pretty sick.

Gotta look at the bright side of things, right?

How long before there is an OME lift for it? Has anybody heard or for the time being will jeep lifts work. I would definately be interested in one but I wanna be able to mod it and quick.

Gumby said:
I think it would be smart NOT to call it a LC. It would confuse the general public and piss of the hardcore LC owners.

That's kind of what raised the question for me, "What makes a 4WD worthy of the LC name?"

Jan-78FJ40 said:
a diesel engine

Diesel would be a huge plus for me. Probably not the general consensus here but I'd welcome an optional hybrid.

New FJ Response

1. Turbo Diesel that puts out approx. 300 H.P & 500 lb/ft torque - maybe partner with Cummins and Banks on the drive train

2. Selectable diff. lockers (air actuated)

3. Factory heavy duty front & rear bumpers with bars, fog lights and tire carrier in the rear as options

4. More sturdy and wider fender flares allowing for 305 x 70 R16 as standard tires

5. Beadlock single piece, heavy duty billet rims, maybe 18 x 10's powdercoated or painted to match the body paint

* and keep the price at or below current price point

I wouldn't want it called a "Land Cruiser" unless it had Cruiser drivetrain. If they're going to call it a Land Cruiser, give me a BJ74! Otherwise it's just a fricken short Tacoma.

Mr. C, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but a Cummins diesel is unnecessary, since Hino (one of Toyota's diesel suppliers) builds a comperable diesel anyway. Fitting a 300hp, 500ft lb diesel engine into something about the size of a wrangler is quite overkill for any market. 150+hp and 200ft-lbs should suffice, but it needs to get 27-30mpg, quiet (like other Toyota diesels), be low emission, and inline for longevity.

If it could be a short rather barebones tacoma, and with the Tacoma's aftermarket support, it should be quite a little rig.

Last edited:
What do I want?

A choice of a 2RZ/3RZ motor, 1FZ-FE or 2UZ-FE motor, or diesel (1HD-T comes to mind)

Choice of an automatic or manual transmission.

40:1 crawl ratio from the factor (auto)
100:1 crawl ratio from the factory (manual)

Coil sprung Solid front and rear axles with locking differentials.

4.10 gears

31" tires.

Choice of Short wheel base, or Troopie.

That would be a great start.

What I DON'T want is a poseur: a Tundra dressed like a Cruiser. The H2 sucks for the same reason, in that it is NOT what it purports to be.

What I would really like is for Toyota to just bring into the United States and Canada the 70 series trucks it is already building and marketing elsewhere. Throw 1HZ's in them, and let us see what the market prefers.

Lets see. Diesel option would be ideal, and almost goes without saying, as does solid axles and 2 speed t-case. Tone down the squared off B-pillar, and while they are at it make the top removable! A soft top option is a must to compete with &#$P. Removable doors that don;t take massive realigning to reinstall. Basically I think Toyota threw the concept out there for shock factor in our crowd of enthusiasts, and gee-gaw factor to the cruiser ignorant. Some, and I'll repeat some, of the design ques are okay in my opinion, and do reflect modern FJ40(in a sideshow hall of mirrors kind of way). I hope that the powers that be at Toyota have taken a good look at wat the Land Cruiser started out as and compared it to what it has become. Somewhere in between is I feel what we will see. Time will tell though. I just don't wanna be concidered a "bandwagon" cruiser guy when my rig rides again!

I've got a Tacoma and it is a tough truck. Since it's a DD, I haven't built it up, but I would not be afraid to do so.

Since it looks like the FJ is built on the next gen Tacoma, and it did very well in the magazine competitions, I think it'll wheel just fine.

We all know they get built up anyway to ride like we do. Who's gonna leave it stock very long?

Having said all that, I'd like a solid axle up front with electric lockers (ala 80 series) and a low price (not like the H2)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom