What would happen if I cut the coffee can (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would happen if i cut the coffee can muffler off the back so i had more clearence and it wouldn't look so much like a rice rocket? Has anyone done this with the stock exhaust system? If so what does it sound like?

you might get a whistling noise from your exhaust that might or might not annoy you.

I wouldn't hesitate cutting mine off...I still have mine attached, but not for any particular reason.

The way you wheel sparky it should come off due to natural causes shortly.

Just report back to the rest of us after this occurs.

Take it to a muffler shop, get it cut off, and have the Flow Master you've been lusting after installed. It shoud run $200-300. A better investment than a Dixie horn IMHO.

there's no muffler on my 91, it sounds nice, after a while though it'd be nice to hear the radio and people talking, etc. :)

it's not that loud, but it is always noticeable.
going to be having to do something with the exhaust soon, and when the time comes pretty sure a muffler's going back on, flowmaster should be quieter than it is now :)

If you just cut it off under the body, you stand a good chance of getting carbon monoxide poisoning and being asphyxiated, not neccessarily a bad thing in this case. :cool: :)

Mine will be removed soon for clearance issues, Josh.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Run a little downpipe and you should be fine Ben. Even my topless 40 is cut off midway back with a bootiefab turndown and I never notice exhaust smell with it cept when sitting still for a long time.

CruisinGA said:
Run a little downpipe and you should be fine Ben. Even my topless 40 is cut off midway back with a bootiefab turndown and I never notice exhaust smell with it cept when sitting still for a long time.
Yeah, shouldn't be too bad ;) . I just couldn't resist, if you notice in my sig I am member #37 of the SCBC (Sparky Chop Busters Club) :grinpimp:

firetruck41 said:
Yeah, shouldn't be too bad ;) . I just couldn't resist, if you notice in my sig I am member #37 of the SCBC (Sparky Chop Busters Club) :grinpimp:

Just wishful thinking, right? :D

What's left of mine will get cut off one of these days when I get off my a$$. It's all dented up with a couple of holes and a lot of rock rash anyway. Seems I get a little ruff on that side of my junk. I was thinking of cutting it at an angle rather than just lopping it straight off.

After about 200k mine totally just fell off on a trip to OBX. I could hear a weirdo noise on the highway in the middle of the night so i pulled into a rest stop. It was just dangling there. With a little struggle i just pulled it off, i didnt want it falling off at highway speeds and possibly hitting someone. I ran it without the "coffee can" for a few months with little problems at all, it even passed inspection i think. Finally a few months ago i got a new one installed and the exhaust almost seems louder in the truck then w/o the small muffler. I almost preferred it without the stupid thing...

For what its worth though, when it was off i got alot of condensation builup around the rear tailgate area.....this might be bad for rust issues. Just a thought.

Yeah well my exhaust sounds like total crap now. It is loud as all get out and has a bunch of leaks and dents in the muffler and piping. So you don't have to worry about fumes. I already get that from the leaks. I will probably just leave it on though until it breaks off. Cause if it is loud after taken off I can't imagine. Cause it sounds so loud to the point where I can't almost muffle it with music.

carbon monoxide is an ODORLESS gas..

whsitle my nistle...

that's what you get...plus, mine squeaks @ a stop like a mofo now cause of it...some rattle somewhere& I can't find it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom