What would cause this? (truck won't move when wheel turned without heavy throttle) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had the same thing happen to me when I got my 95. If you remove it definitely add center diff lock switch, just in case you ever get into a situation where the viscous coupler would be handy to have.
oh absolutely. i already have an eBay cart with the switch in it

Last edited:
CDL switch and VC are not really related at all.

If your VC is bad, just remove it and you'll likely never miss it. Your 100 never had one to begin with, so you know what it will behave like.

CDL switch and VC are not really related at all.

If your VC is bad, just remove it and you'll likely never miss it. Your 100 never had one to begin with, so you know what it will behave like.
Yes I know, but the CDL switch will allow me to lock the center locker in 4hi which I can't do now, and which the VC sort of does a version of. I think I've decided on taking it out myself. I may even do a video on it .

I just read your original post and the throttle comment to get it to move got my attention. My 80 came from my dad who doesn’t drive anymore, its VC was locked up for a while. I drove it a couple times before I had it shipped to me and it drove like the CDL was engaged. Heavy steering, front tires chirping and scuffing in slow speed turns but I don’t remember having to get deep in the throttle to move it. But it didn’t like to roll from a stop with the wheels turned. I also had some clicking turning one way but it doesnt sound like you have that.

Do what others have suggested and check the front end carefully. If it all comes back clean then go for the VC pull, it’s a pretty easy job. Took me half a day at my snails pace, took my time and made sure I didn’t f anything up. My truck was transformed after the VC was gone, don’t miss it for a minute. Turning was freed up and lower rolling resistance, the truck felt at ease. Clicks were gone as well. I installed a CDL switch the same day, you will want it once the VC is gone.

I did a birf job after the VC was gone since I knew the VC had been locked up for a while and it was a mess, but not due to the VC issue ... who ever was there last didn’t know what they were doing. I did swap the birfs for good measure.

There is a thread in the FAQ on pulling the VC. Take your time and everything will turn out fine.

I just read your original post and the throttle comment to get it to move got my attention. My 80 came from my dad who doesn’t drive anymore, its VC was locked up for a while. I drove it a couple times before I had it shipped to me and it drove like the CDL was engaged. Heavy steering, front tires chirping and scuffing in slow speed turns but I don’t remember having to get deep in the throttle to move it. But it didn’t like to roll from a stop with the wheels turned. I also had some clicking turning one way but it doesnt sound like you have that.

Do what others have suggested and check the front end carefully. If it all comes back clean then go for the VC pull, it’s a pretty easy job. Took me half a day at my snails pace, took my time and made sure I didn’t f anything up. My truck was transformed after the VC was gone, don’t miss it for a minute. Turning was freed up and lower rolling resistance, the truck felt at ease. Clicks were gone as well. I installed a CDL switch the same day, you will want it once the VC is gone.

I did a birf job after the VC was gone since I knew the VC had been locked up for a while and it was a mess, but not due to the VC issue ... who ever was there last didn’t know what they were doing. I did swap the birfs for good measure.

There is a thread in the FAQ on pulling the VC. Take your time and everything will turn out fine.
Thank you! Yes those are exactly the issues I'm having. I'll have to look into what birf is.

Thank you! Yes those are exactly the issues I'm having. I'll have to look into what birf is.

Birfield. Your axle shafts with birfield joints.

If a birfield is suspect, the truck will act like a driveshaft is removed and putting the truck in Park will also not want to hold. My bet would be the VC.

After dealing with a few 80s with seized ones, I firmly believe the best place for a viscous coupler is in the trash.

How about removing the front drive shaft? Problem goes away = VC
Problem persists = front end
Likely time for u joints anyhow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom