What would cause stiff steering at all speeds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From what I've gathered. You should be able to turn an 80 swries with one finger. I can turn with one hand but definitely not one finger. Steering is stiff at all speeds.

Misc:
- 97 LX450, 240k miles
- excellent condition truck. Very clean, but u have found signs the previous owner did some off roading.
- no whining from the PS pump
- ps fluid is full from PO (thoigh probably needs changing, but I don't think that causes stiff steeeing?)
- figured out today the truck was previously probably lifted (stock truck but came with sway bar drop links, so PO probably removed the lift but left the links)
- suspension is SAGGY (wondering if maybe the extra castor can cause hard steering?)

I don’t have a huge amount of free time so I would like to narrow down what it could possibly be here before I get to wrenching on it.

If there's anything I forgot to add please ask and I will update this post.

From what I've gathered. You should be able to turn an 80 swries with one finger. I can turn with one hand but definitely not one finger. Steering is stiff at all speeds.

Misc:
- 97 LX450, 240k miles
- excellent condition truck. Very clean, but u have found signs the previous owner did some off roading.
- no whining from the PS pump
- ps fluid is full from PO (thoigh probably needs changing, but I don't think that causes stiff steeeing?)
- figured out today the truck was previously probably lifted (stock truck but came with sway bar drop links, so PO probably removed the lift but left the links)
- suspension is SAGGY (wondering if maybe the extra castor can cause hard steering?)

I don’t have a huge amount of free time so I would like to narrow down what it could possibly be here before I get to wrenching on it.

If there's anything I forgot to add please ask and I will update this post.
Could be the steering box itself or your wheels are out of alignment check for uneven wear on your tires

Data point: my PS pump is new, tires aligned, TRE and relays are freshly installed and I certainly can't turn the wheel with 1 finger at all times. Like most cars, it gets lighter the faster I go, but when I'm not moving it's a one handed job that takes some effort. I'm not sure that it's a given it's supposed to be a one finger thing.

Steering column u joint? Something wrong with your steering pump or part of that system otherwise.

Had my steering pump rebuilt (it’s on a cummins mind you) but with the extra weight and 38” rubber it’s still one finger steering when parked

Data point: my PS pump is new, tires aligned, TRE and relays are freshly installed and I certainly can't turn the wheel with 1 finger at all times. Like most cars, it gets lighter the faster I go, but when I'm not moving it's a one handed job that takes some effort. I'm not sure that it's a given it's supposed to be a one finger thing.
Thing is mine is hard at all speeds

Stock wheels? Wheels with less backspace will increase steering effort.

Preload on the trunion bearings set too tight, if someone had R&R'd the front axle.

Preload on the steering box adjusted too tight.

Damaged steering stabilizer.

Stock wheels? Wheels with less backspace will increase steering effort.

Preload on the trunion bearings set too tight, if someone had R&R'd the front axle.

Preload on the steering box adjusted too tight.

Damaged steering stabilizer.
Stock wheels

No power steering belt on 1FZ-FE. The pump is gear driven, however the front crank bolt needs to be torqued to 307 ft-lbs for proper oil pump and power steering pump operation.

Forgot, used to my older cruisers. Fluid flush..

figured out today the truck was previously probably lifted (stock truck but came with sway bar drop links, so PO probably removed the lift but left the links)

This warrants investigation.

If the truck was previously lifted, and someone did caster correction, the removed lifted springs, you could have a lot more caster than is needed.

Additional caster will make the steering heavier, and it will have a strong tendency to return to centre by itself

This warrants investigation.

If the truck was previously lifted, and someone did caster correction, the removed lifted springs, you could have a lot more caster than is needed.

Additional caster will make the steering heavier, and it will have a strong tendency to return to centre by itself
I had this thoight last night. Might have to drop one of the radius arms and check the bushings.

It's strange because... the solution to my problems might be to buy a lift... like, when is a lift kit ever the SOLUTION to a mechanical issue? Fun times.

I had this thoight last night. Might have to drop one of the radius arms and check the bushings.

It's strange because... the solution to my problems might be to buy a lift... like, when is a lift kit ever the SOLUTION to a mechanical issue? Fun times.
Well, at least it makes your lift an easier sell to the significant other :)

Some pics for the crowd here might help determine if this is relevant to your truck

I would also recommend checking for caster correction. You could check for drop brackets, correction bushings, or any of the other options for caster correction.... Or you could start by taking the rig to a good alignment tech and look at the #'s. Chances are a good alignment tech would also notice any worn out parts like tie rods ends and bushings.

fW6Oe1D.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom