What with you do in this situation?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my 88 fj62 has a super loud knocking noise coming from under the hood! I believe the motor is toast! What are the best options? Thanks

124F5C2C-8ABC-4F08-A2F2-24463174FDD2.jpeg

best options for what?
I'd make sure what the problem is first,
good used engine would be the option I'd choose
others like going V8 gasser
others like going diesel

Reactions: OSS
Fix it.

Mark...

There’s a bunch of diagnostics between now and a new engine
Cheapest to most expensive :
  1. Diagnose problem
  2. Fix it or replace engine with another used 3FE
  3. Swap in a V8 gasoline engine
  4. Swap in some sort of Diesel engine
i'm thirding the diagnostic sentiment.
i'd start with some recall, did it start like a switch thrown, or build up over time? how is your oil level? did it overheat?

If sound is not from a pulley, belt, fan or loose exhaust I would replace engine (seem to be cheap in the USA) or rebuild, not a nice job or fun news but postponing or ignoring is not an option.
Just park and support it safely and start the job but first be sure what it is and post a video?

I had a super loud knock and thought the worst...it was an exhaust leak.

Thanks for all the info. I’ll post video ASAP. Any links to swap options would be greatly appreciated. I actually have another 88 that a tree fell on and did some damage that I might swap with? Also have 1976 fj40, 95 fz80, 04 hundy! As we all know….. it’s a sickness.
2399A89C-ABC1-419F-9ECE-AC4551A73775.jpeg
37EFD55E-3C13-49D6-A4A8-519097F2C496.jpeg

I wouldn't entertain the idea of a swap until a proper diagnosis is completed. Unless you secretly really want to swap the engine lol. hopefully its not as bad as thought to be!

First essential task is to post an audio/video of it here on Mud.

Some diagnostic steps:

With truck running pull one plug wire at a time and see if the noise goes away. Pull wire and listen for a second. Then reconnect that wire and try the next. If there is no change across all 6 plugs then next test.

Listen to the top of the engine with a long handled screw driver or a stethoscope. See if it sounds louder towards the front or rear. If top end sounds quiet it’s probably not a valve train issue.

Loosen all of the belts and run the engine for a minute. See if sound goes away. If it does you have either a harmonic balancer or accessory issue.

After that you’ll want to drop the oil pan and see if any of the rods move more than they should

These are the steps that you or a shop should do.

Some diagnostic steps:

With truck running pull one plug wire at a time and see if the noise goes away. Pull wire and listen for a second. Then reconnect that wire and try the next. If there is no change across all 6 plugs then next test.

Listen to the top of the engine with a long handled screw driver or a stethoscope. See if it sounds louder towards the front or rear. If top end sounds quiet it’s probably not a valve train issue.

Loosen all of the belts and run the engine for a minute. See if sound goes away. If it does you have either a harmonic balancer or accessory issue.

After that you’ll want to drop the oil pan and see if any of the rods move more than they should

These are the steps that you or a shop should do.
This ^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom