What wires on dimmer switch for Slee/Toyota fog switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TOY350

#1 Super Guy
SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone tell me what wires to tap into on the dimmer switch for the factory fog light switch from Slee?

The slee switch has 2 green wires to be tied into the dimmer switch.

The dimmer switch has a white w/ green stripe, white w/ black stripe and a green wire. The whites are side by side and green wire is below them.

Thanks.

I haven't seen the Slee wiring diagram in a while but I am certain that I did not tap into the dimmer switch.

Please post up the wiring diagram that you are using and maybe we can assist.

-B-

I am using the Slee auxillary harness which has a red and a yellow wire that is to be be connected to a normally "open" swich. It allows you to turn the aux. lights on or off when you have your low or high beams on, depending on which circuit you wired into. I wired into the low beam and added fog lights. The red and yellow go into the cab and I have them on a switch right now and they work.

I also bought the Toyota fog light switch that slee sells and he pre-wires it. Off of the switch are a red, yellow and 2 green wires. The red and yellow go to the red and yellow from the auxillary harness. That part was easy and should control turning the fog lights on and off. The 2 green wires are supposed to be tied into the dimmer switch so the factory fog light switch will light up and dim just like the rest of the swiches and gauges.

Now here is where I am guessing: The dimmer has 3 wires in it. I think one is a full 12V going into the dimmer switch, the other a ground and the last a varied voltage coming out of the dimmer switch that controls the brightness of the switches gauges. If I am correct then the 2 green wires from my Toyota/Slee switch should be: 1 to the vaired voltage output of the dimmer and the other to ground. I am going out now with my testlight to see if I can figure it out.

It shouldn't be that hard and I was hoping someone had a quick answer. TIA for any input.

TOY350 said:
The 2 green wires are supposed to be tied into the dimmer switch so the factory fog light switch will light up and dim just like the rest of the swiches and gauges.

Oh, you are talking about the rheostat. I thought you were talking about the dimmer switch that toggles between high beams and low beams.

Dunno.... my switch has an LED and is either on or off so I didn't hook up to the dash rheostat. However, I hooked another switch that goes where the coin holders are and it had a lamp that I wired into the rheostat. That doesn't help you much because I used the 2nd start lamp wiring.

Check your EWD.

-B-

Thanks Beowulf. I have the FSM for my 80 but not the EWD which I would like to get now.

This is for a '97 but it should tell you what you want to know.

EWD_Illumination_1.jpg

The rheostat has 3 connections; white/black=E, green=T, and white/green=L. I believe you want one side of your lamp to T, and the other side to L.
-B-

Last edited:
Thanks a ton Beowulf. Now where can I get an EWD book at?

Go to TIS and download all the manuals you need for 10$. best to start the process on a Saturday morning so you will have access up to Midnight Sunday night/Monday AM

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

C-Dan can get you a real one. TIS is where you can download a virtual EWD. I have both.

The electronic version is nice because you can print the page you want on your color printer and take it out to the truck for the project. Same with the electronic version of the FSM except the FSM is B&W so you don't need a color printer.

The hard copy version is good for flipping back and forth as you're looking for something.

-B-

Beowulf you were correct on the wiring and it works great, thanks again.

MoGas I will definitely be downloading the manuals, thanks.

Garett
TOY350

Dang, sorry Christo, I called you and asked this question the other day and this post was just sitting here. silly me..

Anyway bottom line answer is tap into the green wire and the green and white wire of the rheostat (thing that dims the dash lights). Don't mess with the black & white wire.

Thanks for this post...was just doing this tonight. Wow I love IH8MUD!!!!

Yup, this post is what helped me wire up my switch as well. One thing to ask though. Are ya'lls switches illuminated as brightly as the rest of your dash? Mine isn't, but it is illuminated. I'm wondering if the scotchlocks I used to make the splices are to blame.

Ary

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Yup, this post is what helped me wire up my switch as well. One thing to ask though. Are ya'lls switches illuminated as brightly as the rest of your dash? Mine isn't, but it is illuminated. I'm wondering if the scotchlocks I used to make the splices are to blame.

Ary

No mine were not as bright. Bought brighter bulbs from CDan...Can't remember the part number right now, but the bulbs were meant to be used in another application, a Camry perhaps?

-Dog

Hello and sorry for recover this old post. My rheostat dead and then I haven't any light in the dash. I'm trying to know what is the way of bypass it. I read in a fj60 forum that you can do it just with a cable. Can I do the same in the 80. What cables I must to put together. Sorry first for my bad English thanks.

Enviado desde mi SM-N910H mediante Tapatalk

I try the fj60 method and the fuse say bye bye. I put a bigger fuse 30a and the the cable begin to say de same. So the method of a jumper in the cables for me at least don't work. I will try to find a used rheostat

Enviado desde mi SM-N910H mediante Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom