What winch on an ARB Bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've got an M8000 and it's been fine for every single winching situation I've ever been in. Double it to 16K with a snatch block.

X3 for me. I got an 8K also. It's a 23 year old Ramsey, but it's never let me down. Used it on 2 other rigs before my 80. Had a couple of deep cycle batteries that cratered on me, but that's another story.

Uhhh...no. I've installed at least 6 of these in various 80s. The only drilling is the roller fairlead which is 2 holes. No muss no fuss.

I've had mine for 10 years. I had to replace the solenoid box last summer, but other than that it always works. It gets periodic maintenance every 2 or 3 seasons.

Yes, it's big and heavy. So's my truck. No such thing as too much recovery power.

Your definition of no muss and no fuss is different than mine. If something needs to be modified to fit then that statement doesn't apply for me.

And I don't want too much of anything. Hanging a big lunkin winch out over the front axle, especially when it's not needed, is nothing I want.

Your definition of no muss and no fuss is different than mine. If something needs to be modified to fit then that statement doesn't apply for me.

And I don't want too much of anything. Hanging a big lunkin winch out over the front axle, especially when it's not needed, is nothing I want.

Just to be clear for the OP on this subject, neither the winch nor the bumper is modified. That was the original question. As for the weight of the unit, that is offset by all the other gear I carry in my truck like spare axle shafts and a plethora of parts and tools. They also are "not needed". I'm a big believer in having things that aren't needed. Saved my arse more than once.

I'm using a Smittybilt XRC10, and it's worked great! It required spacers (no big deal at all), but at $400 DELIVERED, with a LIFETIME replacement warranty, it was a no-brainer for me............

I have a Warn M12000 on mine. Fits well. Drilling two holes in the roller-fairlead bracket is cake and hardly counts on the grand scheme of modifications.

However, the best way to mount this is with the bumper off. Mount the winch to the bumper, then the bumper to the truck, then the control box to the winch.

ARB + Warn M12K = HEAVY - find a friend to help lift it.

Mounting the control box can be confusing at first. It mounts to the winch motor (normal install). However, there isn't room for it to mount square - so it tilts at a strange angle to clear everything. You get used to it.

The hydraulic winches - great in theory, but modifying the power steering lines that much makes me nervous.

IMHO YMMV I am not a mechanic.

I've got an M8000 and it's been fine for every single winching situation I've ever been in. Double it to 16K with a snatch block.

Same here.. It's all good for me!!

X3 for me. I got an 8K also. It's a 23 year old Ramsey, but it's never let me down. Used it on 2 other rigs before my 80. Had a couple of deep cycle batteries that cratered on me, but that's another story.

I can't imagine that I would want the full-time weight of an M12000 when I could use a snatch block for the rare time that I actually had to use a winch and an M8000 wasn't good enough.

I'm using a Smittybilt XRC10, and it's worked great! It required spacers (no big deal at all), but at $400 DELIVERED, with a LIFETIME replacement warranty, it was a no-brainer for me............

Word. I have the same one, but only cost me 299$ for my dealer discount. Its worked well so far.

D

:cool:

If I replace my 8K, it won't be with a bigger electric. It'll be a hydraulic, such as Landtank's. The only thing that bothers me about hydros is, they're like a PTO. When the engine is dead - the winch is dead. Rare, but it can happen, such as a river crossing. But the advantage for long pulls, being lighter and not having to worry about the battery and overheating the motor as much is really attractive. I think Rick is running an ARB, so it should work on my '94 without major mod.

If I replace my 8K, it won't be with a bigger electric. It'll be a hydraulic, such as Landtank's. The only thing that bothers me about hydros is, they're like a PTO. When the engine is dead - the winch is dead. Rare, but it can happen, such as a river crossing. But the advantage for long pulls, being lighter and not having to worry about the battery and overheating the motor as much is really attractive. I think Rick is running an ARB, so it should work on my '94 without major mod.

I too am planning on a hydraulic winch when I get around to it. I'm not concerned with the winch not functioning with the engine off, as I don't see myself ending up in a situation like that. Even if I did, once the engine is dead, how much winching will you be able to do with an electric? Not a whole lot.

I believe Rick has a shortbus on the front of his truck.

I originally installed my winch on an ARB and then moved it over to a shortbus bumper. The install is quite easy and you just need to clock the gear box to orientate the levers for easy access.

One thing to note is that MM has changed the shape of the hydraulic motor since I installed mine so there cold be an interference issue now that I did not experience on mine, don't know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom