What will the MPG be on the FJ Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4runner is 18/22 (only auto), Taco extended cab 6 spd manual is 16/20, Taco extended cab 5spd auto is 17/21. I think it shoud do as well or better than those (same drive train) as it will probably be a little lighter, though it does seem to have a steep frontal area, which may equalize the mpg :)

My wife has suggested that maybe having 2 100's with gas prices lately might be a bit exessive. I've been looking around at some alternatives, anything from adding a 3rd car (miata or other small roadster), but doing that will not really save $$. Funny thing is, neither of us wants to give up their Cruiser.

buster said:
Good question.
It may help it, as it will probably more fuel efficient than their other SUV's except the Rav4, and maybe Highlander.

less weight + 5spd auto or 6spd manual + 4.0L = 19/24 epa but probably a few mpg's more in actual w/ conservative driving. That's my guess.

D4D is already used on this platform, so it would be nice to see but I think Toyota is commited to hybrids in the USA. I have already read they are developing hybrid truck technology.

Current hybrid engines don't work for truck applications. I read some press stuff that Toyota is working on truck hybrid engines now.

I find it attractive since it will have a better torque band than diesel. Hybrid torque can be 100% instantly.

Obviously, diesel is a proven option but I dont think they will offer it here.

Moj said:
The future isn't diesel.

"Barring some dramatic change in technology, passenger-car diesels will disappear by 2007, when Tier 2 emissions regs come on in full force. No current passenger-car diesel meets this new standard." C&D, Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 Diesel review.

I have heard that Japan is phasing out diesel's in major cities do to tighter smog and polution regulations. Although, I'm sure with enough effort and computer control, diesel engines can be produced to meet the new standards.

I am hearing that hybrid has become all the rage lately. Not neccesarily the best long term solution by any means, but the most marketable one right now.

There is a comment in the article which is linked back on the thread about interior pics. In the article it is stated that Toyota has no current plans for a hybrid version. If that was correct when it was written, and I doubt it was, then I bet that someone in R&D is working on a hybrid today.

The grapevine says that Toyota is going to have a hybrid version of nearly every vehicle in the near future. With gas prices the way they are Toyota would be crazy not to pursue alternatives like the hybrids!

Just my .000002 cents worth.

Buster said:
But do you think anyone with bother with that?

No, not for anything but commercial vehicles. I believe there is much lighter polution control laws for these vehicles. I'm waiting for the price of a Dodge sprinter to come down so I can convert it into a camper van. They get like 30 mpg from a 2.7L I6 Mercedes diesel. The new MB 320 CDI has almost 300 ft-lbs of torque and gets 35 mpg highway.

I just hope that they offer some sort of more fuel efficient alternative, other than an underpowered 4 banger. Jeep is coming out with a diesel wrangler next year so we'll see what happens.

aamiggia said:
"Barring some dramatic change in technology, passenger-car diesels will disappear by 2007, when Tier 2 emissions regs come on in full force. No current passenger-car diesel meets this new standard." C&D, Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4 Diesel review.

I have heard that Japan is phasing out diesel's in major cities do to tighter smog and polution regulations. Although, I'm sure with enough effort and computer control, diesel engines can be produced to meet the new standards.

Yep. The hilux surf (4Runner) w/ D4D 3 liter turbo diesel was discontinued in Japan, as was for the Prado platform. Ditto w/ the passenger cars (Crown, etc.). You can still get diesel in the LC 100 platform (until '07 when the new model is released?).

Hybrids can be overrated as far as monetary benefit is concerned.

Take the Honda Civic for example:

The Hybrid Civic lists for $19,900
The regular, similarly equipped (without hybrid engine) Civic Sedan lists for $16,500

The Hybrid gets 46/51, or average of 48
The Sedan gets 30/38, or average of 34

Assuming you drive 15K per year, and own the vehicle for 5 years before you sell it, gas would have to be $5.28 for the entire 5 years just to break even between the two vehicles.

Hybrids either have to get cheaper or offer a more substantial mileage benefit for them to be $$$ worth it.

Of course, there are environmental factors, as well as range on a tank to consider too.

shocker said:
Hybrids can be overrated as far as monetary benefit is concerned.

Take the Honda Civic for example:

The Hybrid Civic lists for $19,900
The regular, similarly equipped (without hybrid engine) Civic Sedan lists for $16,500

The Hybrid gets 46/51, or average of 48
The Sedan gets 30/38, or average of 34

Assuming you drive 15K per year, and own the vehicle for 5 years before you sell it, gas would have to be $5.28 for the entire 5 years just to break even between the two vehicles.

Hybrids either have to get cheaper or offer a more substantial mileage benefit for them to be $$$ worth it.

Of course, there are environmental factors, as well as range on a tank to consider too.

Fuel prices don't effect personal economy as much as the buying and selling of vehicals will either. Try selling a large SUV today to buy a vehical with marginaly better fuel economy and you are on lossing more on the sale then you will gain in 5 years of operation with high fuel prices (unless you truely down size and buy a beater car. Thats what I would like to do). I think it is a better time to buy a large SUV than to sell one....kinda......sort of. :confused:

Kind of funny when folks sell there Suburban to buy a Explorer to save 3mpg.

Anyone interested in a 2003 Chevy Suburban? It's loaded and get 18MPG! :idea:

Toyota Prius is from $21k to $27k and a Corolla starts at $14k with 32/41 mpg! M-A-R-K-E-T-I-N-G! Moooooooo! No sale here friends. Now where is the biofuel site....... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom