"What were they thinking" modifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Drake2

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi all,
As I was going through some of my old pics of FJ's that I have bought and sold over the years, I had to share with you these pics. This was a 1978 that I found at a repair garage on the side of the highway about 20 years ago. I was told the owner brought it to them to have the engine performance tuned so it was not so slow...........Yep it was the OEM 6-cylinder trying to turn 44" Ground Hawgs, with a stock drivetrain. In all of the 40's I have had, I never experienced the "customizing" like I found on this one. Pay close attention to the "lift kit" front & back. The garage contacted the owner and got permission for me to buy it. All I was required to do was pay the storage bill of $500.
:worms:

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

LOL, after I sold the Ground Hawgs.........:rofl:

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Just for comparison.the white one has 33" tires on it.

IMG_0004.jpg

44s on a SUA... I thought I’d seen just about everything. They worked so hard to do it so wrong.

Some people should not have access to a welder........:slap:

No doubt. I'm surprised they did not weld on a ladder that was 3" from the ground. Kind of like the bottom of the shackles :eek:

come on...we know you drive it for a bit like that!! how did that handle? i can’t tell from the pics you showed but does it even have power steering?

:bang: Why?

come on...we know you drive it for a bit like that!! how did that handle? i can’t tell from the pics you showed but does it even have power steering?
Nah....the engine was in a stage of disrepair awaiting a performance increase which never happened. I actually towed it home with a strap and a buddy had to sit on a log as the seats were not in it sat in it to steer it. It was all over the road, could not go over 10MPH or we all would have been in the ditch. NO power steering, LOL

Without pics no one would have believed it. So did you keep it?
Unfortunately, it met my sawzall after I took anything worthwhile.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

pu.jpg
Interesting Chevy truck in the back ground.

I had a 62 half ton I drove in high school in the 60's.

Got teased a lot for driving a pick up back then but girls seamed to think dating a farm boy was cute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom