What weight of oil are you running in your 2F? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Running 20-50 Mobil one. Costco had it on sale, don't think it was a big seller.

So these comments about zinc got me thinking about what I was running, it turns out it was 15w-50 mobil 1, not 20w-50 and when I researched the zinc content was 1200-1300 ppm for the 15w-50. However, mobil has discontinued this viscosity. :frown:

I also found out that mobil 1 makes a 20w-50 v-twin synthetic that is 1700 ppm for zinc. I may try that.

How about us sub arctic LC folks? if I ran 20/50 in my 2f at -40 F it would be a well shapes 2f oil pan brick. Im a fan on synthetics for this reason but I've been running 10/30 Castorl in the winter and 10/40 in the summer. Maybe it's time for a change.

Thanks Michael,

So, half a bottle of something like this per oil change: Red Line Oil 81403 Red Line Engine Break-In Additive?
Just throw the whole bottle in there...from the advertisement 'add one full bottle for capacities from 7-12 quarts (6.6 to 11.4 liters). Compatible with any petroleum, synthetic or blended motor oil and can be used for extended durations'

Thanks for the heads up I'm going to pick up a bottle of that.

20-50 in both 2fs

10w-30. I get better gas milage that way. For towing/4x4ing/Heavy work loads I would go 20w50. And I always use what ever oil is on sale....dont fall for the gimmiks. Look at the additives in the oil and make an informed dission. Just my two cents. Worked for me for 24+ years of driving.

10w-30. I get better gas milage that way. For towing/4x4ing/Heavy work loads I would go 20w50. And I always use what ever oil is on sale....dont fall for the gimmiks. Look at the additives in the oil and make an informed dission. Just my two cents. Worked for me for 24+ years of driving.

What difference in MPG do you achieve with the 2f between 10w-30 and 20w-50? Just curious.

10w-30. I get better gas milage that way. For towing/4x4ing/Heavy work loads I would go 20w50.

What difference in MPG do you achieve with the 2f between 10w-30 and 20w-50? Just curious.

I use whatever cheapest too, but my 2f burns 10-30, which is what was in it when I bought it. It even came with a 1/2 quart to top it up. After switching to Rotella, it doesn't burn oil any more.

Oil viscosity (thickness) is affected by temperature. Heat reduces oil viscosity (makes it thinner). This reduces drag on the engine and increases gas mileage. Cold increases oil viscosity (makes it thicker). This increases drag on the engine and reduces gas mileage. An engine operates more efficiently when the oil flows like water and not molasses. This concept also applies to all the other lubricants and fluids found in your FJ.

i run valvolines VR1 20w50 it has a zink a dative to quiet down those solid rockers, my 2f loves it!

My 2 cents I run Mobile 1 10-40 and I have no issues or leaks. Stays clean for atleast 8k worth of mileage

I use 20W-50 also. Since reading up here (and elsewhere) on the reduced Zinc additives in modern motor oils and the resultant accelerated camshaft wear on flat-tappet motors like the F-series, I started using Valvoline Racing 20W-50 since it specifically has high ZDDP concentration for flat-tappet engines.

Valvoline Racing 20w-50 is an excellent option. I use it in both my TR3A and 40 for the same reasons (both "tractors"). I'm in the petroleum additive business and can tell you while there are many very good oils out there for newer vehicles, this is one of the best for our applications. Ever since Zinc was identified as a "bad actor" for the environment when coming out of a tailpipe, it's being reduced consistently as time goes on. Few modern oils protect old engines from wear as well as VR oils.

I saw a 10W-40 Oil at Murdochs labeled as an SM oil and sold in 2 gallon containers. I think the brand was Lube King maybe. They also sell a GL-4 straight 90wt that I haven't seen before. I'm wondering if the motor oil has much ZDDP in it. Anyone know about it? I like the idea of the GL-4 90wt as it should make the trans shift a little better than the 80W90 GL-5's that are so common.

We run synthetics with the ZDDP (zinc & phosphorous) additive because of the flat tappet camshaft. I found Valvoline ZR1 Racing Synthetic 10W30 and 20W50 Valvoline.com > Products > Motor Oil > Racing Motor Oil > Valvoline® Racing Synthetic (VR1) Motor Oil and Amsoil's Z-Rod 10W30 and 20W50 AMSOIL - AMSOIL Z-ROD 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ZRT).

I use 10W30 and will continue to do so until I show a lower oil pressure or the engine starts to use oil. By the way, our well-tuned FJ40 with the stock carb and F-motor and points distributor currently gets 15.4 mpg.

PS: The great guys at ACC Toyota ACC Toyota Truck & Land Cruiser did most of the work needed to turn our FJ40 into a reliable daily driver along with a few modifications to make it more capable off road.

20-50 Rotella

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom