What was mounted here? ...Holes in my rear quarter panel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi I'm wondering what could've been mounted here based on the bolt pattern/spacing. It's a US 5/73 model FJ40 if that helps. Thanks!

20200630_192342.jpg

20200630_192345.jpg

Not factory. Almost looks like the bolt pattern for an old school Jerry can holder, but that would be a crappy location.

Last edited:
I’m thinking vintage Kayline dual-can swing away tire carrier. Had a wrap-around plate on the driver’s side. I think @Land Cruiser Junky had one back in the day. Maybe he can confirm?

Not factor. Almost looks like the bolt pattern for an old school Jerry can holder, but that would be a crappy location.
I was kinda hoping it would be. Because I want a Jerry can holder; so I would like to aquire the correct one and use the preexisting holes.

Here is the spare tire carrier from my 79:

20200701_100803.jpg

Similar pattern.

I think that's what I have on the '71 FJ40 tub I bought here on MUD early last year:

That bolt pattern sure looks like a match. The Kayline carrier I had on my '75 40 had a plate 3 times wider than the one on your rig and each side was held on by 8 bolts. It was poorly designed and broke several times under the stress of the very weight it was meant to carry. I even lost a full 5 gal. fuel can somewhere in the Saline Valley Desert after the welds at the basket broke loose.

If it were my rig mrjordann I'd throw 3 bolts in those lower holes and call it good. It adds to the character of your LC. Make sure the boltheads have a little rust on them. ;)

That bolt pattern sure looks like a match. The Kayline carrier I had on my '75 40 had a plate 3 times wider than the one on your rig and each side was held on by 8 bolts. It was poorly designed and broke several times under the stress of the very weight it was meant to carry. I even lost a full 5 gal. fuel can somewhere in the Saline Valley Desert after the welds at the basket broke loose.
I read here on MUD a while back that the carrier might work out OK if the passenger side end is attached to the stock spare tire carrier and secured. I was going to try that during my upcoming build.

This might be it - see Post #20 here:

More here:

If you want a stock FJ40, the very "rare" 1973 reverse light has also been compromised on your rig.

View attachment 2358088
I am aware. And I assume mine just wasn't optioned with one...?

I would love a reverse light but the factory one seems expensive and probably not very bright haha. Plus I'd like something a little more discreet.

Note that this "very rare" 1973 reverse light is market specific to North America. Probably a last minute solution to comply with an evolving regulation waiting for the real solution (= the complete new rear lights in 1974).
🙄 We don't like government regulations

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom