What was mounted here? ...Holes in my rear quarter panel

Hi I'm wondering what could've been mounted here based on the bolt pattern/spacing. It's a US 5/73 model FJ40 if that helps. Thanks!

20200630_192342.jpg

20200630_192345.jpg

Land Cruiser Junky

SILVER Star

I think that's what I have on the '71 FJ40 tub I bought here on MUD early last year:
That bolt pattern sure looks like a match. The Kayline carrier I had on my '75 40 had a plate 3 times wider than the one on your rig and each side was held on by 8 bolts. It was poorly designed and broke several times under the stress of the very weight it was meant to carry. I even lost a full 5 gal. fuel can somewhere in the Saline Valley Desert after the welds at the basket broke loose.

If it were my rig mrjordann I'd throw 3 bolts in those lower holes and call it good. It adds to the character of your LC. Make sure the boltheads have a little rust on them. ;)

4Cruisers

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

That bolt pattern sure looks like a match. The Kayline carrier I had on my '75 40 had a plate 3 times wider than the one on your rig and each side was held on by 8 bolts. It was poorly designed and broke several times under the stress of the very weight it was meant to carry. I even lost a full 5 gal. fuel can somewhere in the Saline Valley Desert after the welds at the basket broke loose.
I read here on MUD a while back that the carrier might work out OK if the passenger side end is attached to the stock spare tire carrier and secured. I was going to try that during my upcoming build.

4Cruisers

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

This might be it - see Post #20 here:

4Cruisers

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star

More here:

flx

Note that this "very rare" 1973 reverse light is market specific to North America. Probably a last minute solution to comply with an evolving regulation waiting for the real solution (= the complete new rear lights in 1974).

Top Bottom