What was factory? Screws or bolts for 78 rear door hinges? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've seen 78 cruisers with both. What is the correct OEM setup? I prefer bolts due to less chance of boogering up the screw.

Not a ‘78…but my ‘75 has screws.

The 9/78 Land Cruiser brochure shows screws.
03.jpg

Can't beat that as a source! Thank you! I notice all the fasteners are body color. I like them to be silver/blue zinc or yellow zinc like most folks and besides, wrenches alwats bogger the paint up, especially on the washers.

Use Proffitt's website the best I can to look at their restorations on and the HW they use.

I put some bolts on one hinge tonight. I do think the screws would look better, just the cross points tend to get boogered up. I'll do screws.

Any pics of the HW on the hood? hinges and windshield hold down?

The question is clear, but the terminology raises an interesting point.

The selection of head form for many replacement fasteners (Phillips or hex, or posidrive, torx etc) is only one aspect of the fastener selection, and is mainly aesthetic, or practical in respect of damaging the driving interface.

The choice of bolt or screw (See pic) is a matter of shank length and its ability to create a sound alignment of the joined parts. A screw has no shank, and although reflects the original part, is more reliant on interface pressure rather than a close fit in the hole.

A screw (no shank) is more likely to be loose in the hinge hole, and more likely to erode it also IMHO.

Maybe for reasons of longevity in a worn hole; a bolt with a short shank might be nicer?

The bonnet uses countersink alignment, so no shank is needed obv.

Bolts_Vs._Set_Screws.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom