What Vehicle Would This Tool Box Have Come From? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmamj

SILVER Star
Threads
Just pulled this out of the time machine. Whoever bought their new vehicle 50+ years ago must have taken it out and stuck it in a nice dry closet. I'm trying to figure out the rig and year it came out of.

It originated from the Kanagawa Prefecture in Japan (about 40 miles southeast of Tokyo). I'm guessing it never previously made it out of Japan, so I surmise it was a vehicle with Asian market specs. See pics below for the contents. The 17mm glow plug wrench might be a great clue, but I don't know what vehicles those were standard for. The lug wrench is 23mm.

Any ideas??

20190407_095140.jpg

20190407_095220.jpg

20190407_095306.jpg

20190407_095830.jpg

TOYOTA MOTOR on the shanks.
20190407_095839.jpg

Wow! That's very cool!

Thanks. I've looked through old threads but can't find anything that references a glow plug? I think that may be the telltale?

Heritage Museum will be my best bet for answering your question. That is really cool though. Congrats on the find.

Land Cruiser? Stout? Did any of the early sedans come with the large TM tool box?

Thanks Solace. I did find out the 17mm glow plug was standard in '72 -'73 HJ45. It is part 09156-00020. Maybe this box is from a European market 45 or 40, not Asian?

@wscbill knows a fair amount about this type of thing

23mm wheel spanner? Sounds large. 6 stud cruisers were all 21mm i thought

They were all 23mm until 1963.

You should sell me that kit since nobody knows where it’s from!

Man what a find! I'd love to own a kit like that too.

How exactly did you come across it? Just have access to a time machine?

I actually fabbed my own time machine with some pliers, 3-1 oil, 30 weight ball bearings, gauze pads, a fetzer valve, and 10 quarts of anti-freeze. I punched in 1957 so I could pick up a few Topps Mickey Mantles, but the fetzer valve seized up when I got to the early 60s, so I grabbed the tool box.

Splangy, thanks for the clarification on the lug wrench size. I think that narrows down the period of the box to late 50s - early 60s, and probably belonged a utility vehicle like the Land Cruiser or Stout. Highly doubt a sedan would have 23mm lugs. Any idea if the non-US market 25 or 40 series cruisers used glow plugs instead of spark plugs? I think the HJ4# did?

I'll say Japan, since early were tool rolls stateside.

Last edited:
I actually fabbed my own time machine with some pliers, 3-1 oil, 30 weight ball bearings, gauze pads, a fetzer valve, and 10 quarts of anti-freeze. I punched in 1957 so I could pick up a few Topps Mickey Mantles, but the fetzer valve seized up when I got to the early 60s, so I grabbed the tool box.

Splangy, thanks for the clarification on the lug wrench size. I think that narrows down the period of the box to late 50s - early 60s, and probably belonged a utility vehicle like the Land Cruiser or Stout. Highly doubt a sedan would have 23mm lugs. Any idea if the non-US market 25 or 40 series cruisers used glow plugs instead of spark plugs? I think the HJ4# did?

It’s all ball bearings these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom