What type of offer would it take for you to sell. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure this will get any traction, but I had someone make an unsolicited offer on my '77 and I turned it down. I'd honestly say I think my 40 is worth around $30-35K (paints rough from living a bunch of its life out in the sun in Central CA...but it only has 20k miles on it and runs like a top). The person offered me $45K and I said no, it wasn't for sale. Answered pretty quick...and don't know if the guy was actually serious.

It did get me thinking how much over the value of one's rig would be the magic amount to let it go. For me it would have to be a pretty stupid number I think...at least $60K (2x my low estimate on value).

Anyone else have these things run through their heads?

I dont have any old rigs like those anymore. I do know that I miss everyone of those old fords I had. '70 F100, '72 F250. Even had an '80 Chevy stepside. All wirth thousands more than I paid foe them. But even worse is the nostalgia every time I see one on the road

I’ve had mine about 8 months and sure I could make $25 g’s from what I paid to what they’re going for now. It’s an investment to me and one I’ll keep for many years to come. Memories I’ll make with my daughter in it will far outweigh any profit I could gain.

What would it take to buy the '72 FJ40? No amount; it is not for sale.

Due to health, I reluctantly sold the MGA, MGB, and TR6 a couple of months ago. The '72 is now a project my son and I share. And I enjoy the time we spend tinkering with it

The '65 and '66 projects will find new homes when my son says our work is finished

Not sure this will get any traction, but I had someone make an unsolicited offer on my '77 and I turned it down. I'd honestly say I think my 40 is worth around $30-35K (paints rough from living a bunch of its life out in the sun in Central CA...but it only has 20k miles on it and runs like a top). The person offered me $45K and I said no, it wasn't for sale. Answered pretty quick...and don't know if the guy was actually serious.

It did get me thinking how much over the value of one's rig would be the magic amount to let it go. For me it would have to be a pretty stupid number I think...at least $60K (2x my low estimate on value).

Anyone else have these things run through their heads?
Major Nelson;
I bought my '74 FJ40 NEW in Dec '73. It burned FOUR #4 Exhaust valves by 1978 (average "burn time": Nine Months!!) In 1978, I pulled the stock six cylinder and fitted a 1967 Cadillac V-8 & TH400. I used the Landcruiser to pull a 6000 lb Travel Trailer and logged over 300K miles in twenty-odd years! My "40" has sat "dead" in the driveway since around the mid-'90's. That said, I have been purchasing the needed (and wanted) parts for the LandCruiser in prep for a total rock crawler rebuild (w/4" lift). Also, I get at least 4-5 queries per year asking: (1) Is the Landcruiser For Sale? (2) Will you sell the Landcruiser? and (3) Outright offers for the LandCruiser. Most offers have been in the $25/$30K range. A few have been higher and one was $50,000. (I'm old and broke, but I'm not THAT hungry!!) Needless to say, I've turned them ALL down!!
You asked what the "magic amount" would be to let your FJ40 go.. The question you NEED to ask yourself is simple.. "How Much Would It COST" to Replace Your FJ40 LandCruiser?? Personally, MINE is Priceless!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

What would it take to buy the '72 FJ40? No amount; it is not for sale.

Due to health, I reluctantly sold the MGA, MGB, and TR6 a couple of months ago. The '72 is now a project my son and I share. And I enjoy the time we spend tinkering with it

The '65 and '66 projects will find new homes when my son says our work is finished
I'll also note.. in May 1967 I NEEDED a car for college.. I'd also been married for five months. I took a "POS" Opel Rekord down to the Foreign Car Wrecking Yard and sold it for $50.. My new bride was outside looking at the "Consignment Cars", spotted one that was "interesting looking" and asked me: "What is it?".. I looked all over that car for a name badge.. Found none.. Went back in the office and asked "What's that black convertible, out there?" a drawled-out, single word was spoken: "Jag-Whar".. I asked: "How Much?", the reply was "Three Hundret!" I slapped a fifty on the desk and said I'd be back tomorrow with the rest of the money.
I bought a 1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC. (the only name badge on the Jag is a 2" dia. bronze "Grinner" at the point of the bonnet!!) Many years later I learned ONLY 1471 were built!! I STILL own that Jag.. and the LAST offer I turned-down was $125K.
Point being, you MIGHT want to look into the values of the MGA's They might be climbing.. I don't know about the "B's" or the TR's.. but my Mom bought my middle sister (who was eighteen, at the time) an MG Miget.. Helluva fun car to drive.. EXCEPT around eighteen wheelers on the freeways!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

It’s simply not for sale. I was approached in the parking lot of a grocery store and the gentleman said he’d pay me whatever it took to make it “for sale”. I smiled and repeated myself. It’s simply not for sale.

Mine isnt for sale now but if i win the FJ company give away id likely sell that one!!! Already too many memories of my girls riding in the back and playing in it in the garage.

Bought mine brand new 44 years ago this month. It is in very good shape and I have the window sticker and original bill of sale in my name. I have been offered stupid money for it. Every time I drive it I get to be a kid again. Can't put a price on that.

Major Nelson;
I bought my '74 FJ40 NEW in Dec '73. It burned FOUR #4 Exhaust valves by 1978 (average "burn time": Nine Months!!) In 1978, I pulled the stock six cylinder and fitted a 1967 Cadillac V-8 & TH400. I used the Landcruiser to pull a 6000 lb Travel Trailer and logged over 300K miles in twenty-odd years! My "40" has sat "dead" in the driveway since around the mid-'90's. That said, I have been purchasing the needed (and wanted) parts for the LandCruiser in prep for a total rock crawler rebuild (w/4" lift). Also, I get at least 4-5 queries per year asking: (1) Is the Landcruiser For Sale? (2) Will you sell the Landcruiser? and (3) Outright offers for the LandCruiser. Most offers have been in the $25/$30K range. A few have been higher and one was $50,000. (I'm old and broke, but I'm not THAT hungry!!) Needless to say, I've turned them ALL down!!
You asked what the "magic amount" would be to let your FJ40 go.. The question you NEED to ask yourself is simple.. "How Much Would It COST" to Replace Your FJ40 LandCruiser?? Personally, MINE is Priceless!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.
I just want to smoke a little of whatever the guy was smoking that offered you $50,000 for a 1974 FJ40 with a Cadillac V8 and auto transmission.

If a vehicle has memories and I love it , it's not for sale. If I just like it and I get a stupid money offer , someone else can have it.

There a lots of vehicles in the world.

Your garage could burn down, a tree could fall on it, it could get stolen. In the end you only keep memories.

Enjoy today.

"Land Cruisers are worth their weight in gold!"

A family friend who had his own car dealership at the time told me this. Probably about 30 years ago when I started searching for an FJ40.

If I ever feel the need to part ways with it, keep your dirty paper cash. I'm only trading for AU. A few like this might suffice, unfortunately they actually do weigh much less than a Cruiser! 👍

700-00092673en_Masterfile.jpg

I'll also note.. in May 1967 I NEEDED a car for college.. I'd also been married for five months. I took a "POS" Opel Rekord down to the Foreign Car Wrecking Yard and sold it for $50.. My new bride was outside looking at the "Consignment Cars", spotted one that was "interesting looking" and asked me: "What is it?".. I looked all over that car for a name badge.. Found none.. Went back in the office and asked "What's that black convertible, out there?" a drawled-out, single word was spoken: "Jag-Whar".. I asked: "How Much?", the reply was "Three Hundret!" I slapped a fifty on the desk and said I'd be back tomorrow with the rest of the money.
I bought a 1953 Jaguar XK120 DHC. (the only name badge on the Jag is a 2" dia. bronze "Grinner" at the point of the bonnet!!) Many years later I learned ONLY 1471 were built!! I STILL own that Jag.. and the LAST offer I turned-down was $125K.
Point being, you MIGHT want to look into the values of the MGA's They might be climbing.. I don't know about the "B's" or the TR's.. but my Mom bought my middle sister (who was eighteen, at the time) an MG Miget.. Helluva fun car to drive.. EXCEPT around eighteen wheelers on the freeways!!
Charles 1974 FJ40.

My parents gave me a midget sometime ago. Fun car. 7k orignal miles. They bought it new in 73’.

823A7C1F-3E0B-4CD6-9A2B-014803425ECB.jpeg

When I drove my old one around nyc 20 years ago I was stopped 2-3 times every time I drove it. Prices weren’t out of whack then but I’m almost sure when my 76 is running around the city I’ll get stupid offers. Out here there are impulse buyers with so much cash they just want and instant purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom