what type of grease gun to buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Have to buy a grease gun.
Things to watch out for? Seen 2 standard tube sizes. I guess we want the large. But there are also 2 configurations at my local store: the one-handed pistol grip type and the one with the long handle that seems to require 2 hands. Pros and cons?
You'd also want the capability to use bulk grease rather than tubes only?
And then some have an air fitting. Useful?
Anything to know about the end fittings?
TIA
E

I like the "pistol" grip over the long handle one, because as you said the one hand operation. Its a whole bunch easier, but a little more money.

I'm currently using an air powered "pistol" grip and love it! I've talked to guys that hates 'em, cause you have to drag the air hose around with you, but that doesn't bother me.

I believe you can get cordless battery operated ones now also, might be a good way to go...

Oh, when you do get one, make sure it has the flexible hose, not the hard pipe. It will make life a whole lot easier.

Nick

i would watch out on the air-powered ones -- someone here before said their garage used one on their birfs and pounded lube in to the axles --- :(

eric

you could get one of these. pricey though

Both my guns absolutely suck. I hate them.
At a quarry I've spent some time at they use 12volt battery powered ones. And they go through a lot of grease.
I am going to buy a small-cartridge pistol grip for the toolbox and a large pneumatic one for the shop. Just don't buy one without a bleeder valve, that automatically means that it sucks.

I've had two battery operated ones. The first one got ran over. They work great for one handed operation. From my experiance they use the same amount of grease as a regular gun. Just make sure you always keep the extra battery charged up though.

Ditto the comment on the bleeder valve. I think the Lincoln's are the best out there. I've used many of the cheaper ones, can't wait til the break or get run over. I too like the pistol grips. I've been using the lincoln 12v setup for the past few months and like it alot. Battery life isn't all I had hoped for. I can only pump 1 1/2 tubes before the battery is dead. Sounds like a lot but I go through a tube a day.
For a good shop grease gun, I'd get the Lincoln pistol grip. I can't recall which color, blue or black. Get the one with the bleeder.

I like the non powered pistol grip ones. Don't have to worry about damaging areas where the grease goes into a bellows, vice being able to ooze out. One handed operation. Make sure you get a good gun with o-rings at both ends. Some of the cheapies don't have them. I made the mistake of getting one of those, nothing but a mess every time I loaded it.

thanks all!
Eric

I bought a pistol grip gun from Napa for $29 w/ my military discount. I like it, when I pump it, grease comes out, so she does the job. :D

ah, just tried one extensively on a creeper in close quarters...
Conclusions: definitely want the pistol grip and about 12" worth of flexible hose, made a world of difference!
E

We have had nothing but trouble with the 12v Lincoln, it has a stack of plastic gears the drive the piston and if you use the gun on tough zerks it will strip the gears and the gun is useless. Does have a one year warranty though and unless you are dealing with frozen zerks it is probably ok. Kind of an expensive toy IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom