What type of grease for driveshafts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to go ahead and attempt to fix my driveline "clunk". I understand taking off the driveshafts and greasing the splines/yolks will solve this. What type of grease do I need and where do i find it?
airlaird

grease

It's lithium base grease, NLGI #2 I believe.

Dave

Dry splines can cause a clunk when stopping or starting.
Worn driveline components can cause a clunk when stopping or starting.
Greasing the splines can address the first cause listed above, not the second.

Duh

MoJ said:
Any auto parts store.
How Stupid of me...of course...an auto parts store...I just thought this was a "special" grease from Toyota
Thanks!!
airlaird

I use "Schaeffer's #229 ultra red moly on the splines. It really stays put!

It can be purchased at most NAPA auto stores. We use it exclusively on tractor parts that need to STAY greased. Apply it by hand to the splines and then reassemble the driveshaft making sure you get it properly phased again.

Other greases I have tried.. tend to migrate and/or "pound out", this stuff stays where you put it. I had to remove the "zerk" fitting in order to let air escape to reassemble the unit.

I wouldn't recommend this product be used in a grease gun (especially when cold) on something like a driveshaft, but I don't lube mine using that method anyway.

I know someones going to say "thats not what the FSM specifies", and you may want to stick with the lithium, but.. whenever I find a better product, I like to let others know.

I use Amsoil Moly Synthetic on mine. It is a purple color. It stays put. Moly can be used in any low speed applications.

There is a guy in the vendor section on Pirate selling what he calls Green Grease that sounds promising. I'm waiting for a few people to try it out before I order some, but the specs look great on it.

ginericfj80 said:
I use Amsoil Moly Synthetic on mine. It is a purple color. It stays put. Moly can be used in any low speed applications.

Me too-Works great, and the same grease gun can squirt grease in the knuckle and lube the leaf spring pins.

LX_TREME said:
I use Mobil Synthetic Grease Red color.It's pretty for automotive applications at both high and low temperatures, particularly suited for applications such as steering joints and universal joints.
We use that by the 35 gal drum at work. Its good stuff.

Mob 1 Red Synthetic is the best around. Exceeds Moly and Lith requirements. Most Auto stores worth anything have it....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom