What transfer case do I need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! Current build is a 73’ FJ40. Has a F155 motor and 3-speed transmission. Plan is to drop in a crate SBC350 with a TH350. Does anyone know what transfer case I need? I plan on pulling this motor/transmission/transfer case and selling it. Reason behind not keeping it, is it has been sitting for 30+ years and missing the oil pan. Rather than rebuilding and diagnosing, doing a new drivetrain swap.

D2DEF1A7-6A66-4D01-BEF4-6DB90584834E.jpeg

It would depend on what adapters you can get. Advanced Adapters has options for different transmissions and T cases, I would start there. You maybe able to reuse what you have. Watch your overall length. When the v8 you can probably cheat it forward but may still end up with a short rear drive shaft. A Dana 18 would probably work too since it has the correct drops.

Done what you want to do. Advanced adaptors can do tH350 to single case transfer you have. If you do a split case transfer case you will lose the emergency parking brake on the transfer case unless your splitcase has it on the transfer case (rare and costly feature).

I'd go V8, 700R4 automatic, to your stock 3 speed transfer-case. That way you get a lower 1st gear, an over-drive high gear, stronger transmission, and you've already got the transfer-case, the 4WD floor shifter, and you can sell me the transmission floor shifter, OR you can go V8 to your stock 3 speed tranny using my ebay #264275501163 Bellhousing/Adapter/Shift Fork/Slave Cylinder Mounting Bracket, and my ebay #264808317199 Chevota Specific Clutch. Either way you'll want my Chevota Front Motor Mounts ebay #255028354988 and rear Motor Mount ebay #254835033864, plus you get my Downey Off Road Mfg V8 Installation Instruction Manual- - -easy deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom