What trailer tires do you all use? (1 Viewer)

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Looking to replace all 4 (5) of my trailer tires before RR. I am moving up from 205/15 to 225/15 to get the trailer more level and add some clearance. What brand do you all recommend or not recommend? I see lots of deals on Amazon, but I don't want to go cheap just to save buck and regret it 300 miles from home.
@Tikicruiser no Cove cracks necessary. :poop:

Jakes40

IH8MUD Poser
SILVER Star
I’ll have to look at mine. They are an off brand but have held up good. I’ve had one go bad but it was a passenger front so I probably hit a curb and broke some belts in it.

mwalls54

Cruiser Nutjob
SILVER Star
I started using truck tires. I was going with a Firestone commercial tire a few years ago. Started with two and was going two replace two more after 19 cmcc trip. But had a two tire blow out so had to buy cheap tires. They are not wearing as good as the Firestones. What ever tire you go with balance them.

ace10

Another one bites the dust!
SILVER Star
I moved to American-made Goodyears on my race trailer. Most of the trailer tires out there are chinesium, inlcuding some of the Goodyears.

@matzell do you have access to these? If so I'd prefer to support local business and source them from you. Otherwise I'll support the evil behemoth: Amazon product
Yes. I think the ones you posted are the 8 ply version . I can get both 8 and 10 ply. about $10 more per tire. I will check pricing when I go in to work Sunday and check. I am a Maxxis authorized dealer so I can get most any of their tires. I do sell a lot of these trailer tires. They cost more but hold up well. I can also mount and balance them for you if you bring the trailer down or you can bring me the wheels, whatever is easier.

Yes I always balance my trailer tires, makes them wear so much better and a smoother ride.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Yes. I think the ones you posted are the 8 ply version . I can get both 8 and 10 ply. about $10 more per tire. I will check pricing when I go in to work Sunday and check. I am a Maxxis authorized dealer so I can get most any of their tires. I do sell a lot of these trailer tires. They cost more but hold up well. I can also mount and balance them for you if you bring the trailer down or you can bring me the wheels, whatever is easier.

Yes I always balance my trailer tires, makes them wear so much better and a smoother ride.
Looks like I'll be planning a trip to Richmond..
Is there a compelling reason to go with the a particular ply tire, besides just more plys is more better?

Looks like I'll be planning a trip to Richmond..
Is there a compelling reason to go with the a particular ply tire, besides just more plys is more better?
higher load capacity for when you overload the trailer. 10 ply offers about 300 lbs more so about 1200 lbs more per trailer. Keep in mind axles and springs have to be up to it as well. The higher load the "tougher" they are when hitting curbs, ditches etc. You may not need the 10k winch, but it pulls better than the 8k unless it is a 8274!

I have 14 ply on my race trailer because I can!

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Copy. My trailer is an open deck, so a bit lighter than others when loaded up. I will go with the 10 ply, as I'd really love to make it through a full year without having to replace 2-3 tires.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
Really? Is it because crappy tires or over weight or like chris said you can’t drive 😂
I had a bent spindle up until this last year when I replaced the front axle, so swapping tires around, starting from the ones that came with the trailer, as the front wore funny forced a steady stream of replacement tires. I've only had one blow out due to hitting something and that was the Cove last Fall... the same rock you @mwalls54 ricocheted off, IIRC.
My trailer driving has always been suspect.

Jakes40

IH8MUD Poser
SILVER Star
I think if you have gotten the bent axle fixed you will be good! And that may have been your “tail waging the dog” problem you had when you first got it.?.?
I’ve had the same tires on 2 different trailers for several years. But I do need to get a new set. I’m running my spare and it is plugged from a screw hole.

Stumpalama

Forum Junkie
SILVER Star
I think if you have gotten the bent axle fixed you will be good! And that may have been your “tail waging the dog” problem you had when you first got it.?.?
I’ve had the same tires on 2 different trailers for several years. But I do need to get a new set. I’m running my spare and it is plugged from a screw hole.
I am moving up to a taller tire to get some clearance on the trailer and level the nose to the truck, since I will also be adding an inch or so to the truck when I get around to installing the lift.

1MOA

SILVER Star
Stick with 10 ply trailer tires. They hold more weight per tire. The sidewalls hold up better and if they ever go light from underinflation or you just overload it the sidewalls will last a bit longer longer

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom