What tow strap to buy, i did search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found a tow strap http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/towstrap.htm

But would that be over kill? I can get 20000# straps on ebay for 1/2 that. The money not a problem but I think I would want the strap to bust before I rip off my stock tow hooks or bend some thing important.

Any ideas on what length works best for all around getting un stickiness.

I'm thinking 30' and a strap with out metal hooks .
Any other straps I should look at getting?
The photos are about 90% of what I run into in Cambodia.
My 80 is there now but I'm back in the states now so I cant take too much on carry on . I heading back in 2 weeks so need it fast.

s4app5.jpg
hhhhhhh
14wru4j.jpg

For years we have been using Masterpull ropes from 19,000lbs to 74,000lbs. Whether it's a commercial piece of equipment or just a stuck as hell LR Disco II. I have relied on them and have always been happy with my purchases.
Master-Pull Super Yanker Tow Rope

Aaron

Years ago, one of the leading recovery strap (the type that stretch vs the 'tow' straps that do not) companies had a nice online calculating device to decide which strap was best. For the 80's weight and for someone willing to hit the end of the strap at 15mph (that's a monster yank), the peak force was 27,000lbs. I bought one of those in a 30 foot length and it has been a great setup.

Above all, be sure not only your recovery points but the attachments on the other vehicle are capable.

DougM

thanks for the help guys ,

Ok I like the idea of the super yanker but Would it hurt to size it bigger then I may need?
28,500lb breaking strength or 33,500lb breaking strength? only about $15. diff in price?

How much pull can I put on the stock tow hooks? Some times getting a pull out is not a problem ,I just want all of my 80 to come out and not just the front end riped off of it.
syoxom.jpg

I do have to take when ever I buy in the airplane I dont think tow ropes are banned yet!!

Last edited:
The master-pull ropes are very nice, but for deep mud I prefer a strap that has a tighter weave.

..I'm thinking 30' and a strap with out metal hooks...

30' is a good length for most needs. And yes, you absolutely do NOT want a strap with metal hooks on the ends. Those hooks can easily become lethal missiles. Use 3/4" or 7/8" bow shackles for attaching the straps to the vehicles.

The master-pull ropes are very nice, but for deep mud I prefer a strap that has a tighter weave.

True cleaning this rope can be interesting at best. I usually throw it in a neighbors pool while not home or soak it in a 5 gal. bucket.

Aaron

if you want something quick and inexpensive, about the least costly reasonable looking one I found was the 4WheelParts 30Klbs, about $40. No idea if it'll live to its ratings.

(Btw, there was an elaborate real quantitative test of australian straps published some years back with sobering results)

(Btw, there was an elaborate real quantitative test of australian straps published some years back with sobering results)
What was sobering about the results? Breaking strength? Strength of attachment points? Something else?

I've got a 30' strap with a reinforced loop on each end (I got mine from Rusty's Offroad). It's a good sized strap (looks pretty much identical to the ARB one my brother just picked up). My dad laughed when I pulled it out a while back...he said it looked like something you'd use to pull out stuck heavy equipment.

30' is a good length for most needs. And yes, you absolutely do NOT want a strap with metal hooks on the ends. Those hooks can easily become lethal missiles. Use 3/4" or 7/8" bow shackles for attaching the straps to the vehicles.

Yup. There's an old picture floating around the net of one of those metal hook that whipped right through the upper seat cushion of a CJ Jeep.

What was sobering about the results? Breaking strength? Strength of attachment points? Something else?

some straps from real big name manufacturers did break well under the stated strength, or something like that.

some straps from real big name manufacturers did break well under the stated strength, or something like that.

Where can we find this testing ?

Where can we find this testing ?

it was in a hardcopy Oz magazine, originally, but there were some scanned pages floating around the web someplace. I know I found it a couple of times after some minor searches.

Recovery using Snatch Straps
Table near the end of the page.

Edit: Note the article is old and many things have changed including, but not limited to, the composition of the ARB straps.

Last edited:
After reading a few articles a few things I would look for in a snatch strap

• Snatch strap breaking strength less than the rated strength of the recovery points.
  • Shackles rated no stronger than the rated strength of the recovery points.
  • No hooks.
  • 20% to 25% elongation at 50% of rated breaking strength.
  • A 10mm thick plate of high tensile steel to go behind the drivers seat. Should go from the floor to the ceiling and be wide enough to also protect the shifter area.:D:lol:

after reading that article OK no snatch ropes for me . I will be working with people that some not speake English. And not know what a snatch rope can do. I don't want to see a bumper coming at me a 1000 mph.

we use the big strap from tractor supply 70,000 lbs .ive pulled my full size chevy out of ditches with the landcruiser when the truck was dead.you just have to yank enough to get the truck out .the last one we had was used for years at the mudmushers races and pulled out many trucks .we only had the one strap when other guys were buying three or four.i finally broke it pulling a log skidder out with my 6x6 .but we kept tying it together and got the skidder out.good luck

The heavier the strap (rating for strength I mean), the less it will stretch and cushion. That cushion is important to keep from breaking things on the rigs involved.

And I would be careful about using the stock '80 series recovery loops for a hard snatch... winching, no problem... but a real vigorous snatch can put a LOT of stress on them... and with a heavy shackle on the end of your strap, tuned loose by a failing loop.... could get ugly.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom