What tools to keep in the Rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the must have tools to keep on hand in your rig?

I am going to be making a few road trips here and there, with some light off-road and camping. I would like to see what tools would you guys suggest to have handy!!!

regular stuff here:
wrenches
ratchets
sockets
screwdrivers
belts
fuses
flashlights
tow straps
jumper cables

Nothing crazy as my truck is solid and its pretty dang dependable. (knock on wood)

Umm go to harbor freight and get yourself some trail tools. I carry a full set of metric and standard wrenches. 1/4 3/8 1/2 drive ratchets, breaker bar for the 1/2. Full sets of shallow and deep sockets in metric and standard. Assorted pliers. Assorted crescent wrenches. Small pipe wrench. Assorted screw drivers. Pry bars. Hammers. Set of picks. Snap ring pliers. Some electrical junk. And then assorted stuff like tape, pipe tape, wire, spare junk etc... and IDK what else. But uhh my list is pretty extensive maybe and I have multiples of all kinds of tools as a mechanic so...

What specialty stuff might you need? Hub sockets? Or other large sockets? Or whatever kind of stuff you've needed to fix stuff before.

But definitely take the simple stuff -- stuff you need to change belts, bulbs, and repair simple things.

gatorgripkit.jpg

Eh, maybe. I'd go with the satellite phone, they work everywhere. I use the iridium.

In addition to basic items already listed...I keep my air compressor and a tire plug kit in my truck all the time. To me, it's a lot easier sometimes to repair a puncture and drive to somewhere it's easier to change a tire.

The median income of a Land Cruiser Family is $394K.
How could they hold a wrench without spilling their Starbucks?
Besides doesn't Lexus send someone to get the vehicle and return it?

Umm go to harbor freight and get yourself some trail tools. I carry a full set of metric and standard wrenches. 1/4 3/8 1/2 drive ratchets, breaker bar for the 1/2. Full sets of shallow and deep sockets in metric and standard. Assorted pliers. Assorted crescent wrenches. Small pipe wrench. Assorted screw drivers. Pry bars. Hammers. Set of picks. Snap ring pliers. Some electrical junk. And then assorted stuff like tape, pipe tape, wire, spare junk etc... and IDK what else. But uhh my list is pretty extensive maybe and I have multiples of all kinds of tools as a mechanic so...

What specialty stuff might you need? Hub sockets? Or other large sockets? Or whatever kind of stuff you've needed to fix stuff before.

But definitely take the simple stuff -- stuff you need to change belts, bulbs, and repair simple things.
This this all HF stuff? I buy a lot from HF but don't really trust there wrenches or sockets.

I carry:
-DUCT TAPE
-Pocket knife
-Screw drivers
-Adjustable wrench
-Vice grips
-12 and 14 mm wrenches
-hose clamps
-an assortment of machine screws and nuts
-30 foot snatch strap
-jumper cables
-1 quart ATF
-1 quart oil

EDIT: I forgot to add:
-tire pressure gauge
-flash light
-oil wrags for cleaning hands.
-first aid kit

Also, I find that a tape measure comes in handy more than almost anything else. The truck never breaks, so most of those tools have been pointless to this point. However, I often run to Home Depot or hardware stores and need to measure something. Leaving the tape measure in the truck has been very convenient for this, because I would rarely remember that I needed one until I got to the store.

Aclos3:

Nailed it! You know how many times I've needed a tape measure??? EVERY TIME ONES NOT AROUND.

Nothing wrong with Harbor freight tools as long as they are not being used every day. I have a ton of HF sockets and misc. tools in my cruiser. They sure aren't my Matco's but for the one day a year when you need them they work.

Here is my list:
  • Level 3 Trauma Bag w/ IV: Lidocane (and sutures), epinephrine, diphenhydramine
  • Level 1 First Aid Kit
  • Recovery Gear (Snatch Straps, Comealongs, straps and clevis's)
  • 2 Week Survival Pack (this all fits in a medium sized duffel bag), MRE's Small camp stove, HAM Multi Band Radio, Road and Aerial Flare, Snares, Knife, Hatchet, Lighter, windproof matches, TP, Blankets, 500' Para Cord, Wool Socks Gloves and beanie and a mirror (some things get added / deleted from this depending on season)
  • 10lb ABC Fire Extinguisher
  • 2 Gallons Distilled Water
  • Metric / Std sockets (and the 58mm socket for the front diff)
  • Electric Impact gun
  • Fuses, wire snips, and tape
  • 650 / 10 Lumen switchable tactical light
  • Toilet Paper

Last edited:
This this all HF stuff? I buy a lot from HF but don't really trust there wrenches or sockets.

It's not actually. However I do own most of that stuff in a harbor freight version. Some of that is in my other vehicle. Some of it sits in drawers because I have a ton of misc crap. BUT I can say that, I've used the hell out of my long handled wrenches from Harbor Freight and they kick ass. Their sockets and their wrenches I would put above Craftsman. Some of their pliers and screwdrivers are a little... well, s***ty, for every day use. I love their ratchets compared to craftsman but I also have snapon and stuff I use at home. Their breaker bars work. Their impact sockets are top notch. Pry bars work but the mayhew ones that craftsman rebrands as their own are way nicer. Hammers work. Pipe wrenches work. Their picks are OK. Their adjustable end wrenches are kinda s***ty but you can make do for a trail tool. I don't know that I've used snap ring pliers from HF though...

But seriously where they shine is their cheap wrenches, ratchets, and sockets and drivers. Better than craftsman IMO. And with most HF tools you just take it back and grab a new one. No rebuilt s***ty ratchets either -- thanks Craftsman.

It's not actually. However I do own most of that stuff in a harbor freight version. Some of that is in my other vehicle. Some of it sits in drawers because I have a ton of misc crap. BUT I can say that, I've used the hell out of my long handled wrenches from Harbor Freight and they kick ass. Their sockets and their wrenches I would put above Craftsman. Some of their pliers and screwdrivers are a little... well, ****ty, for every day use. I love their ratchets compared to craftsman but I also have snapon and stuff I use at home. Their breaker bars work. Their impact sockets are top notch. Pry bars work but the mayhew ones that craftsman rebrands as their own are way nicer. Hammers work. Pipe wrenches work. Their picks are OK. Their adjustable end wrenches are kinda ****ty but you can make do for a trail tool. I don't know that I've used snap ring pliers from HF though...

But seriously where they shine is their cheap wrenches, ratchets, and sockets and drivers. Better than craftsman IMO. And with most HF tools you just take it back and grab a new one. No rebuilt ****ty ratchets either -- thanks Craftsman.
Good to know. May have to venture to the socket section next time. Their snap ring pliers have works well so far for me.

I carry:
-DUCT TAPE
-Pocket knife
-Screw drivers
-Adjustable wrench
-Vice grips
-12 and 14 mm wrenches
-hose clamps
-an assortment of machine screws and nuts
-30 foot snatch strap
-jumper cables
-1 quart ATF
-1 quart oil

EDIT: I forgot to add:
-tire pressure gauge
-flash light
-oil wrags for cleaning hands.
-first aid kit

Also, I find that a tape measure comes in handy more than almost anything else. The truck never breaks, so most of those tools have been pointless to this point. However, I often run to Home Depot or hardware stores and need to measure something. Leaving the tape measure in the truck has been very convenient for this, because I would rarely remember that I needed one until I got to the store.

+1 on the tape measure...i started doing this to make sure I always knew where one was and man alive does it come in handy. I mean, nothing truck related, but I use it at least once a week.

Haven't seen anyone mention a set of work gloves like Mechanix. I've found that having them can ward off frost bite and bloody busted knuckles (thereby eliminating most uses I've had for a first aid kit).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom