What tools to keep in the Rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

couple shovels, a pick, rope, duct tape and a bag of lye.............:poof:

Last edited:
Haven't seen anyone mention a set of work gloves like Mechanix. I've found that having them can ward off frost bite and bloody busted knuckles (thereby eliminating most uses I've had for a first aid kit).
Very handy. Although I think most my pinky is still in one. :doh:

A testament to the gloves - that they remained in tact and your hand didn't.

:lol: true. It was more of a getting a pinky caught between a wheel spoke and caliper, wrench slipped and hand in wrong place. It tried to cut it off, but your 100% correct without the glove the pinky would have been goner. Very deep cut with lots of blood and some carnage left. But finger is intact and healed fine.

Thinking "trail tools" needs it's own sticky since there are SOOOO many threads on this.

You only need three things:

1. Credit Card
2. AAA Card
3. Cell Phone

I think you forgot Anti-Freeze and water! :)

I've got a lot more crap to throw in there still but here is what I have this far. Excluding spare stuff, jumper cables, and recovery gear kinda stuff.

Better question is how are people securing their tools so that when they are bouncing over rocky roads they don't get all jumbled up?
I put all mine is canvas bags and wrap the noisy ones in red shop towels.

I actually keep my toolbag in my 80, and use the tailgate as a workbench for most other things. Tool-bag includes among other things, hub socket (2-1/4" or whatever size craftsman socket with 1" to 1/2" reducer), combination wrenches in 10/11, 12/14, 17/19, couple pairs of vise grips, three 3/8" drive ratchets, two 1/2" drive ratchets, two universal wrenches (ball peen hammer and dead blow hammer), sockets from 7mm to 24mm and a 30mm. A few standard sockets (like the 15/16 which is the same as a 24mm) screwdrivers, door panel tool, tie rod end remover, axe, shovel, tire plug kit, wire. This is all in a cloth toolbag inside a plastic wallyworld container with a lid, ratchet strapped to the floor.

Another box has a tent, solar shower, netting, firestarting kit, first aid kit, ponchos, plastic bags, trash bags,4 way tire iron, power inverter, drop light with 25' cord and 120v adapter, recovery kit.

Having them in boxes makes them easy to move out of the way, and the boxes make handy seats and steps to get in the back.

Haven't seen anyone mention a set of work gloves like Mechanix. I've found that having them can ward off frost bite and bloody busted knuckles (thereby eliminating most uses I've had for a first aid kit).

My Red Wing gloves work great.

thumbnail.php

One of the best and most used tools of mine has been a 3 lb brass hammer I purchased many years ago from Acklands-Grainger.

image.jpg

whatever you bring, make sure you know how to use it and what it's used for, otherwise follow NLXTCY's advice.

54mm socket!! Fridge filled with cold beer for the long wait for repairs. 5 gallon bucket for the ladies to take care of business!

Better question is how are people securing their tools so that when they are bouncing over rocky roads they don't get all jumbled up?
chunks of foam...the kind that you get for free from buying autozone brand brake pads! or old sofa cushions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom